Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Classic Comics Forum?

This is probably going to be brought up by other, more seasoned members, but why did the Classic Comics Forum have to go away?

I understand that older comics of the Big 2 can be discussed in either the Marvel or DC subfora, and I suppose Independents covers all/most other classic books, but... Classics was a pretty comfy place to read and post in.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

All-New Member

Just asked the question in another thread. This was the only forum I read. Mostly because everyone there was always civilized and polite!

All-New Member

I am hoping one of our Classic Comics members knows how to archive the old posts we had up. Some of us had years worth of reviews and discussions that are going to be lost.

I am also hoping we have some place to continue the community we had formed on the Classic Comics forum. For the last 5 years, it's been my favorite place on the internet. If we aren't welcome here, then hopefully we can find somewhere else to keep the forums alive.

I would think that certain details of the board are still being worked out, and as refinements are made over the next couple of weeks or so, a Classics Forum will be added.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Here's hoping for the addition of the classic forum.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    I am hoping one of our Classic Comics members knows how to archive the old posts we had up. Some of us had years worth of reviews and discussions that are going to be lost.
    http://oldforums.comicbookresources.com/

According to the announcement, old posts will be reachable for two weeks through the link above.

Another vote in favor of resurrecting the Classic Comics forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hamm View Post
    Another vote in favor of resurrecting the Classic Comics forum!
    Here here.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
    This was the only forum I read. Mostly because everyone there was always civilized and polite!
    Ironic that it didn't make the cut...

If nothing else someone needs to make sure shaxper's review threads get transferred!

I posted this elsewhere and will repeat it here:

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper
    No way.

I'm sorry, but no way.

I've been an active member of this forum since 2006. Since that time, created review threads that required hours of work each day for the entertainment of other posters which, I was told on many occasion, attracted new members to the site, and I did it all without compensation or praise because it brought me and everyone else who read them joy. Eleven review threads, over three hundred pages of discussion. I brought a lot of content to this site, and frankly, I feel owed more than this.

Yes, you provide this site free of charge and make no promises to anyone, but after all this time and participation, you owe us advance warning and a say in what you do to our community. To wipe it all away without warning and, to add insult to injury, to completely ELIMINATE the classic comics forum that was home to so many of us, had tremendous activity, and regularly attracted new posters to CBR, it's appalling.

No, I'm not rebuilding. I'm not accepting it and moving on.

If the classic comics board isn't reinstated, I am out of here; end of story. I will find another forum on the net or make my own, and I will bring over as many of the former CBR classic comics posters as I possibly can. I see this as an all out act of war, and I'm ready to play.

I've never had a contentious word for the admins nor my fellow posters in eight years on this site and nearly seven thousand posts, but this is absurd, and I will not stand for it.

I strongly suggest you reconsider your present course of action.

If not, game on.

thecolortechnic

Another vote for bringing the Classics back.

Although I occasionally venture outside of it, it's the main reason I visit the CBR forums. This is because of the group of people that are regulars there. And it wasn't only a great CBR forum, it was a great forum on the internet, in general. It was a special kind of community that happens very rarely on the internet. I've been both a member and moderator/admin of dozens of (various kinds of) forums over the last decade and only two others have had the same kind of force backing it which created a unique kind of camaraderie, creativity, and especially, community.

Fortunately those old threads can be retrieved (albeit, for a limited time) as a lot of hard work was put into those threads (I had just finished my MoKF run last week, too, and was keeping up with shax). But if the Classics forum isn't brought back to allow the community to rebuild itself then I'll probably stop coming to the CBR forums altogether. It just won't be the same.

This could have been handled much better. The new policies aren't going to fix the problems they want to fix, either. I've been moderator on forums that have tried. In the end, bad move.

We'd like to give this new configuration a try, at least for a little while. If it's not working out, we can absolutely revisit the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    We'd like to give this new configuration a try, at least for a little while. If it's not working out, we can absolutely revisit the issue.
    I appreciate the effort you admins and mods are putting into this forum reboot, you're the ones doing all the heavy lifting. But in a certain sense, the absence of the Classics forum causes something of a break in continuity for the posters who were regularly involved in the threads that were running there.
    I understand what Jonah and the team are going for: a CBR that's less clustered into sub-communities, hence the disappearance of board-specific chat threads. And I can get behind that. And the new policy may work out well.
    I just wonder if, once the dust of the forum reboot has settled, (some of) the Classic comics forum regulars will have lost interest, and moved on to different venues- for the lack of the very specific need that the subforum catered to.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

I mostly visited the classic forum. I had 3 months worth of comic scans that posted. Where do i go now?

All-New Member

Add my name to list of users missing the classics forum. Only one I ever visited or posted in. I used to be Dave2739, before the big wipe, by the way.