Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    We'd like to give this new configuration a try, at least for a little while. If it's not working out, we can absolutely revisit the issue.
    I appreciate the effort you admins and mods are putting into this forum reboot, you're the ones doing all the heavy lifting. But in a certain sense, the absence of the Classics forum causes something of a break in continuity for the posters who were regularly involved in the threads that were running there.
    I understand what Jonah and the team are going for: a CBR that's less clustered into sub-communities, hence the disappearance of board-specific chat threads. And I can get behind that. And the new policy may work out well.
    I just wonder if, once the dust of the forum reboot has settled, (some of) the Classic comics forum regulars will have lost interest, and moved on to different venues- for the lack of the very specific need that the subforum catered to.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

I mostly visited the classic forum. I had 3 months worth of comic scans that posted. Where do i go now?

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Add me to the list for a Classics Forum return. It doesn't really seem to fit in anywhere else.

All-New Member

Add my name to list of users missing the classics forum. Only one I ever visited or posted in. I used to be Dave2739, before the big wipe, by the way.

Incredible Member

Most people in this thread have been nice and polite, but I can't manage that right now. I'm pissed as hell about this. The Classics forum was my online home, and now it's gone with no warning. There were conversations going on that have suddenly been stopped dead. All the PMs I was saving are gone too. This is a kick in the teeth to some of this site's most loyal supporters.

edit - I was able to log in to the oldforums site and download my PMs.
    Last edited by Rob Allen; 04-30-2014 at 04:53 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I just wonder if, once the dust of the forum reboot has settled, (some of) the Classic comics forum regulars will have lost interest, and moved on to different venues- for the lack of the very specific need that the subforum catered to.
    Exactly this. I think a majority of the posters there only posted/visited that board. We had annual events, huge review threads, and trades & giveaways.

Also, and perhaps the best feature, it policed itself really well. Arguments would flare up now and then, but they rarely got hateful, and they were all resolved peacefully.

It's been a pretty regular and pleasant part of my life for something like 8 or 10 years now. I'll miss it a lot, and if the new boards go a month or so without it, I doubt I'll be checking back after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    We'd like to give this new configuration a try, at least for a little while. If it's not working out, we can absolutely revisit the issue.
    As you will remember, I was the moderator of the Classic Comics forum for many years, and I strongly urge that the Classic Comics forum be restored. It was the only place on CBR to discuss older comics, since all the other forums focus almost exclusively on recent stuff, and the Classic Comics forum had a large community of posters who didn't visit any of the other forums. I hope the mods will reconsider the decision to get rid of it.

One more vote, here. Classic Comics was a welcoming, informative and fun spot. And I never saw any problems there.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
    This was the only forum I read. Mostly because everyone there was always civilized and polite!
    Ironic that it didn't make the cut...

If nothing else someone needs to make sure shaxper's review threads get transferred!

I posted this elsewhere and will repeat it here:

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper
    No way.

I'm sorry, but no way.

I've been an active member of this forum since 2006. Since that time, created review threads that required hours of work each day for the entertainment of other posters which, I was told on many occasion, attracted new members to the site, and I did it all without compensation or praise because it brought me and everyone else who read them joy. Eleven review threads, over three hundred pages of discussion. I brought a lot of content to this site, and frankly, I feel owed more than this.

Yes, you provide this site free of charge and make no promises to anyone, but after all this time and participation, you owe us advance warning and a say in what you do to our community. To wipe it all away without warning and, to add insult to injury, to completely ELIMINATE the classic comics forum that was home to so many of us, had tremendous activity, and regularly attracted new posters to CBR, it's appalling.

No, I'm not rebuilding. I'm not accepting it and moving on.

If the classic comics board isn't reinstated, I am out of here; end of story. I will find another forum on the net or make my own, and I will bring over as many of the former CBR classic comics posters as I possibly can. I see this as an all out act of war, and I'm ready to play.

I've never had a contentious word for the admins nor my fellow posters in eight years on this site and nearly seven thousand posts, but this is absurd, and I will not stand for it.

I strongly suggest you reconsider your present course of action.

If not, game on.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Most people in this thread have been nice and polite, but I can't manage that right now. I'm pissed as hell about this. The Classics forum was my online home, and now it's gone with no warning. There were conversations going on that have suddenly been stopped dead. All the PMs I was saving are gone too. This is a kick in the teeth to some of this site's most loyal supporters.
    I'm with you, Rob. I feel like someone shot my dog.

I urge the moderators to reconsider this, and sooner rather than later. Jonah's message stated that "This is a chance for those of us who care both about comics and about human beings to create a better comics community and make the CBR Community the safe, inviting place I know they can be." But the Classic Comics Forum was already that place, and to have it shut down is beyond frustrating.

I've read some of the threads about other sub forums being shut down, but while some of those apparently were no longer very active, the Classic Comics Forum still seemed quite active to me. We had dozens of active threads going, with numerous new threads every day in addition to some ongoing threads that have literally been going on for years and years with no sign of slowing down.

And there's really no place on the new forums as they are currently set up to discuss some of the stuff that we talked about. Sure, I could start a new thread in the Marvel forum to discuss the sweet run of U.S. 1 I just bought, but nobody there will care, any more than I care about Wolverine dying or whatever goofy nonsense is happening in modern comics at the moment. Spread out across the entire site, our threads and voices are going to be drowned out by the chatter of the crowd, lost on page nine in the blink of an eye. We're going to be left trying to sort through posts on fifteen different subforums to try and find the ones here or there that happen to deal with old stories, instead of just having them all in one place.

I'm sure that's going to lead to a lot of the Classic Comics Forum posters just leaving the site for good instead. Because it will feel like we aren't wanted, which frankly, is kind of what it feels like at the moment.

I'd love to see the Classics Forum return.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

All-New Member

shax, Scott, Rob, I started saving the threads from the old board today, page by page. I got through all of Classic Comic Christmas 2013 (announcement, postmortem, rundown, all 12 threads). I'm hoping to grab more tomorrow. I'll start with those and then probably move on to shax's review threads.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron King View Post
    shax, Scott, Rob, I started saving the threads from the old board today, page by page. I got through all of Classic Comic Christmas 2013 (announcement, postmortem, rundown, all 12 threads). I'm hoping to grab more tomorrow. I'll start with those and then probably move on to shax's review threads.
    Cool. I'm going to have to try and track down my review threads I guess and figure out how to save them. I don't want to lose my Wonder Woman and Superman Family threads, or the Conan the King one I guess though that is less important. I'm trying to remember if I did any other review threads. I know there's a master review thread list somewhere that might be a good place for someone to start in terms of saving the other review threads.

I use to be a very active poster, especially on the Classic Comics Forum, which was probably also the "safest" forum for comic discussion here. Over the past few years, not so much, not so often, to almost not at all. The toxic appenders might get bans, but they got reprieves. This Zero Tolerance is new and interesting. I will be watching to see how well it is enforced, and how fair it is about that enforcement.

Not sure about the flush of all the appends as a proper policy action though. A lot of history just got swept under the rug. The clean up would have been extensive I am sure, but I still would have preferred some kind of choice. Although I noticed years ago, that there was a lot of aging messages that fell off the digital bit-buckets eventually anyway. Guess I can look at this as the time-gauge being shrunk considerably and allowed to expand again. However, I and many others put a lot of work into documenting comics history on the Classic Comics Forum and it seems a shame to lose it.

So yes, this is a long-winded vote for reestablish a Classic Comics Forum. For all kinds of reasons...

- jb the (considerably less vocal) ib -