Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I should say that I completely support and approve of Jonah's decision to reboot the forums. However, it's unfortunate that the Classic Comics forum had to go. I know that the senior administrators were very supportive of the forum during the time that I was its moderator, and I hope they will take the existence of this thread as evidence that there is genuine interest in bringing it back.

I have no idea what happened (I dropped in this morning and discovered I didn't have an account anymore), but I'd really like to see Classic Comics back. It was the only forum I visited and posted in.
    Last edited by foxley; 04-30-2014 at 11:55 PM.

We're talking about it, it might come back (or come back as a part of a forum with a broader scope). Stay tuned.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

If there's a deleted forum that merits a revival, Classic Comics would be it.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Hopefully the Classic forum comes back sooner rather than later. The longer all the good knowledgeable posters are away, the less likely they are to come back.

After some deliberation, we've decided that the best course of action in terms of the Classic Comics board is to launch it in conjunction with the Independents board.
    So post away, my friends! Post away!
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

What exactly happened in this board?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

All-New Member

Well, this was a kick in the teeth this morning. While I certainly understand the reason for eliminating the old forum and starting this new community, I'm saddened by the Classic Comics forum getting caught in the scorched earth. It was the primary place I hung out, as I'm not so much into the newer comics, and while I wasn't the most active poster, I felt like I was part of something there.

I'm going to give this new set-up a chance, but I second (third, fourth, whatever the heck number we're up to) those calling for a new Classic Comics area. Even though it's part of the Independent forum, we have different interests than that crowd, so it's going to be more difficult to engage in conversations with like-minded people when we have to sort our way through discussions of this month's Dark Horse or Image offerings. If it doesn't work out, then I've lost a place to hang out with folks who like the same things I do, and I'll have to look elsewhere, but such is the nature of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bishop View Post
    Well, this was a kick in the teeth this morning. While I certainly understand the reason for eliminating the old forum and starting this new community, I'm saddened by the Classic Comics forum getting caught in the scorched earth. It was the primary place I hung out, as I'm not so much into the newer comics, and while I wasn't the most active poster, I felt like I was part of something there.

I'm going to give this new set-up a chance, but I second (third, fourth, whatever the heck number we're up to) those calling for a new Classic Comics area. Even though it's part of the Independent forum, we have different interests than that crowd, so it's going to be more difficult to engage in conversations with like-minded people when we have to sort our way through discussions of this month's Dark Horse or Image offerings. If it doesn't work out, then I've lost a place to hang out with folks who like the same things I do, and I'll have to look elsewhere, but such is the nature of life.
    Just adding the words "and classics" to the independent forum, to my thinking,is not the solution.Its now a goulash forum of current alternative publishers,front page news item comments and now the classics.Threads will swifly disappear into the back pages before anyone notices.I appreciate the admin addressing the issue but a babystep doesn't work for me
    PM Shaxper for the link to the new Classics Forum.I just joined and many,many others are already there. I'm still hoping CBR does it the right way

All-New Member

I lurk on this site daily and the only forum I check out regularly was Classic Comics. Very dissapointed to find out it is gone

It's extremely ironic seeing as how this purge happened due to abusive posts and what not and the Classic Comics Forum didn't make a come back. That was one of the nicest places on the internet. It was a bit cliquey and hard to break into, but at the same time the posters there often made that their home there and didn't venture too far outside. I rarely went in there, but I know people who did and you're going to lose some of the most valuable posters on this site. The younger crowd who come to talk about the hottest female characters or their favorite artists or the next Marvel/DC event... they're a dime a dozen. These guys in the Classic Comic forum have true knowledge about the medium and in a quest to make this place better, it will be made worse by a significant margin.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ish kabbible View Post
    PM Shaxper for the link to the new Classics Forum.I just joined and many,many others are already there. I'm still hoping CBR does it the right way
    Already did. I enjoyed that community a great deal and don't want to lose it, and I really don't care if it's here or there; I just want it somewhere.

The Indy forum is now Indy/Classics - nice

Quote Originally Posted by ish kabbible View Post
    Just adding the words "and classics" to the independent forum, to my thinking,is not the solution.Its now a goulash forum of current alternative publishers,front page news item comments and now the classics.Threads will swifly disappear into the back pages before anyone notices.I appreciate the admin addressing the issue but a babystep doesn't work for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bishop View Post
    I hope you guys can stick around to wait and see. As moderator on Indy for the last little while I can tell you, it's a very decent community. No and I mean ZERO drama, angst or pettiness, just a great bunch of people who are really into diverse and niche comics from typically under-recognised smaller publishers. And who keep a forum humming nicely along despite that fact that, yeah, it IS often deluged with daily front page News threads.

To the issue of News threads, it's for this reason I began keeping a roster of sticky threads with aim of helping make the forum easier and more interesting to visit. You can see what I mean at the old board here. It was an experiment that fortunately seemed to work with activity picking up since it began. In time I'll begin maintaining stickies again (threads of broad nature and ongoing interest, which are unstickied when they fail to attract posts for a couple weeks), however I also think it's best to let the board develop organically for a little while.

The fact that the Classics and Indy crowd will now be intermingling is pretty cool I think (bear in mind Image has its own playground - Indy was largely Dark Horse, Valiant, IDW, Boom and Dynamite - great publishers that are only getting better) . The "ghoulash" (nice metaphor!) will make the forum a more vibrant, interesting and lively place and I think both groups may find they have more in common than they might expect.

Looking forward to catching you all in there.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    I hope you guys can stick around to wait and see. As moderator on Indy for the last little while I can tell you, it's a very decent community. No and I mean ZERO drama, angst or pettiness, just a great bunch of people who a really into diverse and niche comics from fantastic and typically under-recognised smaller publishers, and who keep a forum humming nicely along despite that fact that, yeah, it IS often deluged with daily front page News threads.

To the issue of News threads, it's for this reason I began keeping a sizable roster of sticky threads with aim of helping make the forum easier and more interesting to visit. You can see what I mean at the old board here and further rationale here. It was an experiment that fortunately seemed to work with activity picking up since it began. In time I'll begin maintaining stickies again however I think it's best to let the board develop organically a bit first.

The fact that the Classics and Indy crowd will now be intermingling is pretty cool I think (bear in mind Image has its own board) . The "ghoulash" (nice metaphor!) will make the forum a more vibrant, interesting and lively place and I think both groups will find they have more in common than they might expect.

Looking forward to catching you all in there.
    I certainly understand your points, but I just don't see it working as you currently have it structured. While I certainly am glad that the Indy community is drama- and angst-free, just as Classics was, we don't have the same interests for the most part. While they are into "diverse and niche comics from fantastic and typically under-recognized smaller publishers", I'm not and have no plans on getting into any of them at this point in my life; I don't say that to be rude or arrogant, but my passion regarding comics is, for the most part, centered on late Bronze Age and earlier, and I enjoy talking about the history of comics and the books that I've accumulated over the past 30 years of collecting. I'm not into Buffy or Angel or Rat Queens or anything like that, and while I certainly appreciate that there are passionate fans of those books and books like those, I don't have anything in common with them and I won't frequent their threads or discussions, because I'm not into the same things they are.

I want to thank you and the other leaders in the new "Community" for what you're attempting to rebuild after the ugliness of the past couple of weeks, but the move to combine the Indy and Classic forums is a half-hearted attempt to retain some of the folks with ridiculous amounts of knowledge (far surpassing my meager levels) about the history of comics and the building blocks of the industry, and it's most likely not going to work. We took years building that community and to shunt us off into a corner with the Indy books is a bit of an insult.

Respectfully,
    Richard Bishop

Amazing Member

Just went to our new home on the Independents page, and noticed there are no postings from the old gang (other than the post I just made there.)

As I said there, I'd like our old board and threads reinstated.