Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Halle Bailey looks like she's giving it her all but I can't help but think Melisa McCarthy looks straight out of an SNL skit.

Looks fine to me, so far. Usrula was always a bit campy anyway, being inspired by the drag queen Divine.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Buddy I work with had an emergency and I ended up taking his two kids (ages 8 and 11) to see this. The 11 year old loved the animated version but said this one was ok. Surprisingly the 8 yr old really liked it (I say this because this movie is nearly an hour longer than the original so if you have young kids, maybe its better to watch at home. The 8 yr old got restless from sitting down so long)

Overall, I thought it was ok, better than I thought it was going to be. Never big on live remakes in general because the animated versions are always superior. Still the case with TLM but to be fair, this was the best of the live remakes I saw. Giving it 2 out of 4 stars. I'd give it 3 but one scene annoyed the crap out of me. One spoiler below if you continue reading

+ Melissa M's Ursula: Not the biggest Melissa Fan but I'll give her props for this. Best performance from this movie. Her Ursula was funny, scary, charismatic, and interesting. Not Pat Carroll's Caliber, but to be fair, those shoes are too big to fill. After seeing this, I'd be cool if Melissa took on the role of my favorite Disney Villain, Madam Mim

+ Halle Bailey's Ariel: Never heard of her until this movie. Immediately I could understand why she's was a professional singer. Excellent voice and great job on the songs. Not only that but she had Ariel's Essence. She portrayed that same innocence and excitement the original had. My only complaint was that her acting was flat on several scenes, but the pros far outweighed cons. She did a good job.

+ Parts of the Story more fleshed out: Eric's Origin and Ariel/Eric's Romance was more developed.

- Modern Standards and Practices: I get how Hollywood/Media is trying to portray females today, but they need to tone it down (The song/sequence from 'Kiss the Girl' was awkward as a result which I can accept) but this made the Climax flat out awful. I saw it coming and I never like when people talk during the movie, but it was so bad that I didn't realize I groaned, "Oh Come On!"that resulted in a Captain Picard Facepalm. It came out like a reflex. Didn't think I was that loud but apparently quite a few parents were laughing. Ariel saved Eric at the beginning. In the original Eric returned the favor. It showed how strong their love was on both sides. This version has Ariel pushing the boat herself to defeat Ursula. I mean, I get they're trying to make female heroes strong and all but Eric saving Ariel isn't demeaning. I found that scene so incredibly stupid.

I ended up running into one of the moms I know from my little guy's playgroup classes. When she saw me she laughed saying "I thought that sounded like you!" I asked her what she thought of the movie and she had the same opinion. She told me that King Triton hated the humans but when Eric saved his daughter's life that changed his views. So what's up with this version? Just glad to see I wasn't the only one that didn't like it.

- Ariel's Sidekicks: I get Disney was going for realism but the CGI took some time getting used to. Scuttle was easily the biggest letdown. Couldn't stand the voice actor. Favorite from the original, total cringe this one.

- No Chef Louis in this version.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 05-30-2023 at 11:10 AM.

Just got back from seeing this and I'd say yes, it was very good! I even liked Sebastian and Flounder when, from the previews, I thought I'd hate their looks. But it actually works when you see it on screen.

Halle did her thing and sounded fantastic while singing or talking. I literally wanted to clap at the end of "Part of Your World" because it felt like a live performance to me.

I also completely disagree about McCarthy. She KILLED it as Ursula! I was worried she be over the top with the slapstick comedy but she was very understated. Her tone and demeanor fit the character just right.

Personally I was never a big fan of the original. Just mit my thing and I wasn't the target demo. However, I found myself really enjoying this film.

I watched the trailer. Halle's singing voice is quite amazing.

I will consider going to the theater and see the movie, but I am averse to crowds.

As of June 21, 2023, The Little Mermaid has grossed $259.8 million in the United States and Canada, and $212.9 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $472.8 million. According to Deadline Hollywood, a worldwide gross of $560 million would make the film profitable

"‘The Little Mermaid’ Among Most-Viewed Film Premieres Ever On Disney+"

https://deadline.com/2023/09/the-lit...us-1235543594/