Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret Invasion

I actually didn’t think any part of this was good. Heard Olivia Coleman just turns up to jobs like this without doing any prep, and who can blame her?

Astonishing Member

The biggest thing about this show to me is at the end of the day what was the point? If you compare it to all the other Disney+ shows.

WandaVision you got an interesting show exploring the depths of emotions of Wanda and her trauma. Introduced to adult Monica and saw her get her powers with a pretty meaty storyline as a supporting character. Introduced White Vision, Introduced us to Billy and Tommy setting the stage for their Young Avengers turn eventually. Breakout performances from Kathryn Hahn as Agatha. Whether you like the show or not A LOT happened here with implications for the future.

FATWS- You got deeper dive into Bucky and Sam's stories and motivations. You got breakout performances from John Walker, Zemo, new status quo of Sam accepting the shield and Cap mantle. Even with the failure and weakness of the Flag Smashers there was a purpose and a lot to take from this show.

Loki - Introducing us to multiverses, introducing us to Kang versions, introducing us to TVA . I mean there was a REASON for this show and it had implications beyond itself.

Moon Knight - Introduced us to an entire pantheon of gods, we get introduced to a new character. We got amazing multilayered performance from Oscar Isaac in more great Marvel Casting fashion. The door wide open to continue more of this story more of this character.

She Hulk - Again great casting imo of Tatiana Masalany by Marvel. I absolutely watched this specifically for her as I knew what a good actress she was. I was never a She Hulk fan really in comics either and we can talk about the dodgy CGI, and jokes that may or may not have lended for people but I can see a purpose for this show a reason for it

My opinions obviously and not talking about ratings or anything else. But just thinking about what we got in Secret Invasion and I literally cannot justify why this existed. With what they gave us it is the definition of "this could have been an email". It COULD have been so much more. Delve deeper into Skrull history, or Skrull culture as one of the great civilizations of Marvel etc. Give me far more interesting infiltrations and wow factor into characters that were swapped all along. They have a huge history of characters over a decade plus of MCU shared movies etc and all we got was Skrull Rhodey and Ross as our big infiltrations. And they didn't even get into what they accomplished or anything really while swapped. That would have been more interesting. Exploring how they fooled people or accomplished "goals" in the overall Skrull plan.

We got one line about possible Skrull Kree peace negotiations and Emilia Clark running around with the possibly vastly overpowered Super Skrull character flying around to deal with later maybe, or not... Could have just emailed me that news or kept the tens or hundreds of millions for this show and gave me a quick montage with Super Skrulls in a better project.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    His dumbass alien killing campaign gets him out of term?
    But how is Ross an improvement on that front?
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    The biggest thing about this show to me is at the end of the day what was the point? If you compare it to all the other Disney+ shows.

WandaVision you got an interesting show exploring the depths of emotions of Wanda and her trauma. Introduced to adult Monica and saw her get her powers with a pretty meaty storyline as a supporting character. Introduced White Vision, Introduced us to Billy and Tommy setting the stage for their Young Avengers turn eventually. Breakout performances from Kathryn Hahn as Agatha. Whether you like the show or not A LOT happened here with implications for the future.

FATWS- You got deeper dive into Bucky and Sam's stories and motivations. You got breakout performances from John Walker, Zemo, new status quo of Sam accepting the shield and Cap mantle. Even with the failure and weakness of the Flag Smashers there was a purpose and a lot to take from this show.

Loki - Introducing us to multiverses, introducing us to Kang versions, introducing us to TVA . I mean there was a REASON for this show and it had implications beyond itself.

Moon Knight - Introduced us to an entire pantheon of gods, we get introduced to a new character. We got amazing multilayered performance from Oscar Isaac in more great Marvel Casting fashion. The door wide open to continue more of this story more of this character.

She Hulk - Again great casting imo of Tatiana Masalany by Marvel. I absolutely watched this specifically for her as I knew what a good actress she was. I was never a She Hulk fan really in comics either and we can talk about the dodgy CGI, and jokes that may or may not have lended for people but I can see a purpose for this show a reason for it

My opinions obviously and not talking about ratings or anything else. But just thinking about what we got in Secret Invasion and I literally cannot justify why this existed. With what they gave us it is the definition of "this could have been an email". It COULD have been so much more. Delve deeper into Skrull history, or Skrull culture as one of the great civilizations of Marvel etc. Give me far more interesting infiltrations and wow factor into characters that were swapped all along. They have a huge history of characters over a decade plus of MCU shared movies etc and all we got was Skrull Rhodey and Ross as our big infiltrations. And they didn't even get into what they accomplished or anything really while swapped. That would have been more interesting. Exploring how they fooled people or accomplished "goals" in the overall Skrull plan.

We got one line about possible Skrull Kree peace negotiations and Emilia Clark running around with the possibly vastly overpowered Super Skrull character flying around to deal with later maybe, or not... Could have just emailed me that news or kept the tens or hundreds of millions for this show and gave me a quick montage with Super Skrulls in a better project.
    Most of those shows was kinda mid tho, they just had more redeeming qualities than this show. FATWS had potential (like Secret Invasion), but they kinda chickened out with it's lame ass massaging.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Most of those shows was kinda mid tho, they just had more redeeming qualities than this show. FATWS had potential (like Secret Invasion), but they kinda chickened out with it's lame ass massaging.
    I get it and again I wasn't arguing that all the rest of the shows were absolutely amazing achievements in television. But, I could argue for their being made and implications of why money was spent on them in terms of characters and actors we get for the use of future MCU. I didn't even mention Hawkeye and that wasn't shady but getting to see more of Yelena was delightful imo. Again more great Marvel casting because I couldn't give a damn about the comic character Yelena. But, I can't wait to see more of her in the MCU. And we even got Kingpin back in universe. Again easy to see why this show existed and potential for more from individual characters or the state the shows left the world of the MCU.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Tbh, that presidential order is hella on brand. What's shocking is that Marvel allowed it to screen lol. It was such a dark vindictive twist, but totally believable.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    His dumbass alien killing campaign gets him out of term?
    I think maybe the President is a pink-skinned Kree. The Kree-Skrull peace talk mention at the end leads me to think this as well, as this and the killing aliens will make the SKrulls rush to get off Earth in many cases. Marvel is supposed to have a cosmic storyline throughout one faction of whatever these new phases are. See a Kree-Skrull war undercurrent here (which may be as underwhelming as Secret Invasion). And Thunderbolt Ross becomes President in the new Cap movie, so... Kree Prez gets found out somewhere between now and then?

Between the international politics teased in "BP2", this show, Sharon's Powerbroker story, "Armor Wars", whatever's going on with Val and the "Thunderbolts", "Cap:NWO" and the growing presence of Damage Control, those could all tie together into a larger story that's being built in a really interesting way if it had been presented well, but so far it comes across (to me anyway) as random pieces that are being passed along for the next team to maybe try to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    The skrulls should still be more mad at carol than fury. Fury was never been remotely capable of finding a planet in outer space.

So the finale didn’t ‘save’ the show. Some plot issues, giving Tra I’m the real vial seemed like a huge risk, even if fury could some bow guarantee the Gi’ah would actually be in the machine when Gravik used it. Which they couldn’t really guarantee. And having all the avenagers dna all mixed up in vial is just a weird thing to begin with and Gi’ah is super overpowered now… Also what was the creepy body room at the end? Is Sonya starting Weapon X or something?
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the implication of that body room was at the end. They were draining minds from people? They had infiltrated more than they thought?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Fake Fury explained the situation pretty clearly. I don't know if that is the real explanation or not, but it seemed pretty plausible. There just wasn't an inhabited world out there without inhabitants already. Kind of a duh.
    Why not just use Thanos' planet from Endgame?
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    One good thing I'll say is that I liked the G'iah fake-out, even if it makes you question everything "Fury" said in that scene. I guess it was close enough to the truth?

While I don't like the implication that Skrodey's been around since the end of "Civil War," perhaps the one good thing to come from it is that it will give Rhodey (and Cheadle) a spotlight in terms of finding out/dealing with Tony's death in "Armor Wars." Despite being his best friend, he had to get in line behind Pepper and Peter (and later Morgan and Happy) in terms of emotional moments dealing with his loss. Random thought: I wouldn't mind if the kid from IM3 came back as Rhodey's sidekick wearing the Guardsman armor. (he's going to need some kind of supporting cast)
    I do feel like they could've done more with Fury unpacking why he failed the Skrulls so much. Was that meant to be G'iah acknowledging her understanding of why Fury did it when she'd been calling him and her father out for their failure up to this point? Especially when the reasoning seems kind of thin.

I think if Skrull Rhodey could've used the War Machine armor, she would've, so I really don't think Rhodey was taken before Endgame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I actually didn’t think any part of this was good. Heard Olivia Coleman just turns up to jobs like this without doing any prep, and who can blame her?
    It would fit the character.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post

I guess now we know that Nick Fury is nothing without the women in his life, Skrulls are everywhere on Earth, and the UK is more on the ball than the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Between the international politics teased in "BP2", this show, Sharon's Powerbroker story, "Armor Wars", whatever's going on with Val and the "Thunderbolts", "Cap:NWO" and the growing presence of Damage Control, those could all tie together into a larger story that's being built in a really interesting way if it had been presented well, but so far it comes across (to me anyway) as random pieces that are being passed along for the next team to maybe try to make sense.
    It would be great to see these storylines all come together and play off each other but I don't think Marvel Studios is anywhere near consistent and thorough enough to pull it off. I was kind of thinking to myself the anti-alien agenda might dovetail into anti-Mutant hysteria but we're probably ways off from that.

Like how the Accords were supposed to be a big deal but were barely relevant until they just got repealed off-screen unceremoniously.

I think the Multiverse stuff is taking away from this anti alien hysteria. Can't focus on this stuff besides Marvels and Cap 4 with Kang Dynasty on the horizon.

The more I think about it the more some of the powers don't make sense.

Like wasn't the whole point of Carol's powers were that neither the Kree or Skrulls could replicate it?

Would Steve's blood make you a Super Soldier or just give you all his health problems without the serum?

Does Black Panther's blood include the powers of the heart shaped herb? Should someone tell Shuri?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Like wasn't the whole point of Carol's powers were that neither the Kree or Skrulls could replicate it?

Would Steve's blood make you a Super Soldier or just give you all his health problems without the serum?

Does Black Panther's blood include the powers of the heart shaped herb? Should someone tell Shuri?
    None of that made sense, even accepted that their DNA was altered, it doesn't provide the powers, especially Carol, who got he power from that cosmic matrix thingy Ver had.

Then again, Power dampening cuffs and collars make absolutely no sense either.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

For me easily the worst MCU project ever. Some decent acting performances but that's it man. Agents of Shield did this plot with the LMDs like 50 times better. On a cheaper budget that looked 20 times more expensive. I dont know WTF is happening over at Disney/ Marvel but whoever green lit this, with this talent and put this piece of garbage together like the National Treasure TV show needs to be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Yeah, it was just lazy writing. Of course it wasn't just the blood, it was the machine that was able to use the blood to impart powers specifically to Skrulls, whose physiology lends itself towards being altered. It's glossed over because they just needed us to accept that DNA + Machine + Skrull = Super Skrull. I can buy it for the most part, though replicating the powerset of Captain Marvel does stretch credulity, even for a superhero show. (I also wonder if it'll create plot holes for when "Marvels" comes out - although it'd be cool if G'iah showed up there)

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

It was a disappointment for me as pretty much all of these shows have been. They start off well and peter out about halfway through to a flat ending.

Except She-Hulk. I loved that one. It was like an old school comic run brought to life and I was here for it all.

Secret Invasion seemed cool and I was not one of those people pissed about not involving a ton of other super hero characters because this aint the comics. This is the MCU they are doing it in. Its going to be different. A different execution a la Civil War, Age of Ultron, etc. Its just about making the execution good and sticking the landing. The show didn't.

I was not blown away by Emilia Clark as I guess I was supposed to be and the final ep sucked. The best thing that came out of it was Rhodey being a Skrull and how they can do an MCU take on Armor Wars with Rhodey recovering Stark tech as well as learning and processing the fact his bff died while he was asleep basically.

But of course with all the delays, shifting, retooling the upcoming MCU slate, is Armor Wars even still going to be a thing.

I have my doubts.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia