Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret Invasion

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At least with the whole Fury vs Sonia scenario Sonia surprised her Skrull and shot him before the guards showed up, if Fury had shot Rhodey he'd probably have been shot dead right afterwards before they saw he (she?) was a Skrull.
    yeah the way not-rhodey basically admitted to being a skrull i think means the rest of the security around him are also skrulls. if fury shot rhodey, be it in the finger or face, the other skrull goons would kill nick.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    yeah the way not-rhodey basically admitted to being a skrull i think means the rest of the security around him are also skrulls. if fury shot rhodey, be it in the finger or face, the other skrull goons would kill nick.
    It would explain why Rhodey was fine talking about Gravik in front of his guard.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Makes sense but brings up another plot hole. If Rhodey and his whole support retinue are also Skrulls. How in the world didn't they kill the President there in the attack? They set up the attack, they planned it. Why was there a shootout in the road but they didn't kill him?
    If they have that many infiltrators directly surrounding the President there is no way he should have made it to the hospital alive. Last time we saw Rhodey he was smirking upside down in the vehicle after the attack pointedly not doing anything to help as per Skrull plan.

I mean sure I can ignore stuff like that they needed it to happen for "plot" but its messy when you look closely.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Makes sense but brings up another plot hole. If Rhodey and his whole support retinue are also Skrulls. How in the world didn't they kill the President there in the attack? They set up the attack, they planned it. Why was there a shootout in the road but they didn't kill him?
    If they have that many infiltrators directly surrounding the President there is no way he should have made it to the hospital alive. Last time we saw Rhodey he was smirking upside down in the vehicle after the attack pointedly not doing anything to help as per Skrull plan.

I mean sure I can ignore stuff like that they needed it to happen for "plot" but its messy when you look closely.
    their end goal isn't to kill the president but to make the president think the skrulls and russians are working together to destroy america, trick him into destroying the skrull base inside russia, forcing russia (that isn't actually working with the skrulls) to retaliate and trigger ww3. I imagine if the actual president died in the attack, they'd just use his death to manipulate his successor to do the same thing.

I don't think all of the security detail are supposed to be Skrulls. I think it's just supposed to be Rhodey, and it's just sloppy writing.

Kind of like how someone mentioned -- what would be the point of having Rhodey along with the president, but he doesn't have his armor with him? Why?

For any kind of internal story logic, he should have needed to armor up and fight to protect the president, or at least get knocked out or something right at the start, preventing him from doing so. Nobody even seems to expect him to have the armor though.

Come to think of it, why doesn't Skrull Rhodey have the armor, besides that it's just not written into the story?

Like I said, sloppy writing. But eh, still wouldn't say this is the worst of the D+ MCU shows. For me so far, that would be What If. And like someone else said, I do appreciate that all the shows are clearly meant to have their own feel. I appreciate the spy/noir tone in Secret Invasion, even if the writing is not the most on point.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I don't think all of the security detail are supposed to be Skrulls. I think it's just supposed to be Rhodey, and it's just sloppy writing.

Kind of like how someone mentioned -- what would be the point of having Rhodey along with the president, but he doesn't have his armor with him? Why?

For any kind of internal story logic, he should have needed to armor up and fight to protect the president, or at least get knocked out or something right at the start, preventing him from doing so. Nobody even seems to expect him to have the armor though.

Come to think of it, why doesn't Skrull Rhodey have the armor, besides that it's just not written into the story?

Like I said, sloppy writing. But eh, still wouldn't say this is the worst of the D+ MCU shows. For me so far, that would be What If. And like someone else said, I do appreciate that all the shows are clearly meant to have their own feel. I appreciate the spy/noir tone in Secret Invasion, even if the writing is not the most on point.
    I guess there has to be some kind of encryption or test on the armor that prevents the Skrull from using it.

Honestly a part of me wishes the villains were just Hydra or AIM because I don't feel like they've maximized using Skrulls here.

Astonishing Member

I guess there has to be some kind of encryption or test on the armor that prevents the Skrull from using it.

Honestly a part of me wishes the villains were just Hydra or AIM because I don't feel like they've maximized using Skrulls here.
    Yeah I would think he just can't access the armor because of security. But, that limits when Rhodey was taken then. Would have to be after Endgame and the last time we saw him in Armor. Don't think we ever saw him suited up after that. He wasn't in FATWS in those few scenes.

Considering how long Fury's been working with Skrulls, it doesn't make much sense he never developed a way to detect them.

Mentioning Hydra just reminds me how much better "Agents of SHIELD" pulled off the spy/paranoia thriller when they had their "Winter Soldier" episodes with Garrett, Hand, Ward etc. and the twists and turns about who was/wasn't Hydra and who to trust, etc. (was May the traitor? Was Hand?) Now that was written well.

I totally missed that was Black Widow's contact in her movie flying the plane for Fury.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Considering how long Fury's been working with Skrulls, it doesn't make much sense he never developed a way to detect them.

Mentioning Hydra just reminds me how much better "Agents of SHIELD" pulled off the spy/paranoia thriller when they had their "Winter Soldier" episodes with Garrett, Hand, Ward etc. and the twists and turns about who was/wasn't Hydra and who to trust, etc. (was May the traitor? Was Hand?) Now that was written well.
    Now that you mention it if Fury had gone to the trouble of harvesting Avengers DNA just in case, he probably would have come up with Skrull counter-measures. But this show feels like it's giving him blind spot after blind spot and I'm not talking about his literal bad eye.

This show makes me miss AoS.

... not to mention the fact that after all this, the story boils down again to chasing another iteration of the Super Soldier Serum - magic fluid that grants super-powers.

Well in spite of its slow burn, I continue to appreciate the tone of Secret Invasion. The writing could elucidate matters more, but that would also go against the spy/mystery elements of the series. As it is we are getting a pretty plausible explanation on what and how the invasion happened. I don't really think Gravik and his merry band is the point, he's just a throwaway villain who will be dead, most likely, at the end.

I can't help but wonder if we are going to get a Captain Marvel appearance in the last episode. Probably not, and it would be totally Deus Ex Machina, but it would be cool.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I’d say this episode (5) was as action packed and interesting as the entire series should’ve been. With only 6 episodes, you don’t have the time for a slow burner spy thriller. They need at least double the episodes and a season 2 to achieve the level of mystery they want the show to have.

I don't see how this show could be called a "slow burn." They try throwing a new climactic situation at you almost every episode. The Moscow bombing, the submarine plot, the attack on the President... if it had been just one plot with a slow burn, it might've been more coherent. The fact that we just found out about the Harvest - a last minute MacGuffin right before the finale, is just haphazard plotting.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I don't think all of the security detail are supposed to be Skrulls. I think it's just supposed to be Rhodey, and it's just sloppy writing...
    Most of the time he's talking like a Skrull not-Rhodey has only a few goons nearby. When he's got a mob, I don't recall him saying anything that would clearly give himself away.

Is this over yet?