Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret Invasion

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I saw someone point out that the DNA they're harvesting for the Super Skrulls actually might be facsmilie's of the FF's powersets:

Groot - Mr. Fantastic

Frost Beast - Invisible Woman?

Extremis - Human Torch

Cull Obsidian - The Thing
    Yes and I watched this thing on u tube on how they probably got these creatures DNA. Seemed actually pretty legit and cool. All of them in the MCU history lost a leg or arm or part of their body on earth.

Fury with hair and the eyepatch is the spitting image of Ultimate Fury from his first appearance in Ultimate X-Men.
    Funny. He keeps reminding me of the Submariner from his "homeless" phase by Kirby/Lee.

So, basically Fury enlisted these Skrull refugees into being his spies and working with him with the promise that he would deliver a new home for them...which is a promise he did not keep. Well, neither did Carol, which I guess is supposed to be justified because she's just so busy doing whatever it is she does off-screen in outer space that they've never really shown us. Feels like they both kind of dropped the ball with the Skrulls.
    This was the dumbest part of Captain Marvel, to me, the Skrulls. And it was such an overpromise that neither Fury or Marvel were in a position to even make. Plus no way is the promise even commensurate. Do a little spying and we will find you an entire planet?

Ross ends up married to the Contessa while Fury gets an OC Skrull wife whose human form is black because of course it is. Is she the same woman who introduced Fury to Gravik at the beginning?
    Yah that was the Skrull with Gravik at the beginning. Who I assumed was Gravik's mom, or another relative.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Yeah, Fury is Gravik's step dad.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

man screw those uppity skrulls, irl sure that Gravik guy wouldn't be wrong dissing humanity for our many faults. But in the mcu humans saved the universe a bunch of times, took in both skrull and asgardian refuges and they still think they're better than us lol. Earth's been invaded by aliens like 12 times, meanwhiles the humans haven't done **** to anyone but ourselves. If i was Nick Fury I'd be pissed af.

Skrulls were working with Fury on SABER, which means the U.S. government trusted them a lot. (I doubt they were just walking around in their true forms on a station that big unless it was out in the open - there must have been humans working there as well) Yet there's no mention of any kind of relationship or legal status or the government helping Skrulls - it's all on Fury. I get it for the story, but it's just another aspect to how simple the storytelling is in this show. All the Big Picture things that happen on this show are handled too simplistically (like international relations) which dampens the overall quality. It definitely places more emphasis on the smaller spy story they really want to tell and the smaller cast of main characters which means more pressure that those aspects better pay off well to overlook the bad storytelling on the other aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    man screw those uppity skrulls, irl sure that Gravik guy wouldn't be wrong dissing humanity for our many faults. But in the mcu humans saved the universe a bunch of times, took in both skrull and asgardian refuges and they still think they're better than us lol. Earth's been invaded by aliens like 12 times, meanwhiles the humans haven't done **** to anyone but ourselves. If i was Nick Fury I'd be pissed af.
    With how quickly the Skrull Council turned to Gravik I'm guessing they'll all been itching to take over for a while now.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Skrulls were working with Fury on SABER, which means the U.S. government trusted them a lot. (I doubt they were just walking around in their true forms on a station that big unless it was out in the open - there must have been humans working there as well) Yet there's no mention of any kind of relationship or legal status or the government helping Skrulls - it's all on Fury. I get it for the story, but it's just another aspect to how simple the storytelling is in this show. All the Big Picture things that happen on this show are handled too simplistically (like international relations) which dampens the overall quality. It definitely places more emphasis on the smaller spy story they really want to tell and the smaller cast of main characters which means more pressure that those aspects better pay off well to overlook the bad storytelling on the other aspects.
    If Fury's fired, who is running SABER now? Wasn't he like the only human ?

If Fury's fired, who is running SABER now? Wasn't he like the only human ?
    Monica? :shrug: Also, like I said - I can't imagine he was the only human on that giant station - not just for how many Skrulls there would have been, but that the government would allow it.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    However, I think they also said that their MO was to create enough domestic instability to unseat the reigning power. I don't think the MCU US has undergone that kind of transition to get this President elected, so I am going to guess he's killed by other means and that he's not a Skrull. Ross as Secretary of Defense is ... what, 6th in line to succeed the President? (assuming he's not like the VP at this point) I'm guessing there will be more than a few killed.
    Ross was secretary of state in CW. That means he's 5th down

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    ...Which is pretty par for the course with MCU adaptions. Heck, I just read the director was told to not even look at the comics.
    Makes me so sad to read stuff like that, that **** needs to stop. Pure disrespect to the medium they are adapting. I wish more people would take notice of stuff like that even non comic readers.
    I have to wonder if that's the make any claim on profits by the original authors harder to legally establish.

Thoughts about Ep 3:
    -- The sub mission seems like too big a mission for the newbie, but ... okay.
    -- Do we know the cover ID of the Skrull council member who's copied the Asian guy?
    -- I want to see the pre-parley meeting where Gravik tells his people, "Okay, so if Talos makes a move on me, I want you to stand up all at once and turn into me, yeah? That'll freak him out... hehehe"
    -- When Talos asked about dogs, I really thought Fury would mention what happened with the Flerkiin.
    -- I feel some fans will bristle at the idea that the show is saying Fury didn't "earn" his status and Talos et al did it all, but Talos was mad and when you're fighting with a friend, you tend to exaggerate. So, I'm sure the Skrulls gave him the edge, but that's natural for any spy - the one with the best assets wins. To me, it doesn't take anything away from him.
    -- I wonder if they'll retcon in some Skrulls throughout the MCU's history behind the scenes, kinda the way they did with Hydra. Personally, it makes sense to me if Christine Everhart was one the second time - at the party when she showed Tony those photos a reporter from Vanity Fair probably shouldn't have. To paraphrase Fury, "he needed a push."
    -- I hope they show that Fury or Sonia did something else when they found out about the sub. It seems insane to me that under those circumstances Fury didn't reach out to anyone else or that Sonia did literally nothing.
    -- Are we supposed to think the boy in the house was human? He certainly acted like he was and they treated him like one, but why would Skrulls leave him as the only human in the house? (even the guards were conveniently Skrulls so Fury and Talos wouldn't be guilty of killing humans) And how did Talos know just from peeking into his room?
    -- I thought Gaia was going to absorb the guy's memory for the code, but are we to think she just figured it out by scrolling through his memories?? It's not like we saw an image of him writing it down or something - she just guessed? Is that what happened? It's kinda stupid tough that Talos losing his temper and killing him is what necessitated her blowing her cover and possibly getting her killed.
    -- That was Rhodey at the end, wasn't it? Yawn - this show better have more up its sleeve than the most obvious thing everyone was already thinking.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-05-2023 at 08:48 AM.

I saw someone point out that the DNA they're harvesting for the Super Skrulls actually might be facsmilie's of the FF's powersets:

Groot - Mr. Fantastic

Extremis - Human Torch

What if it's the other way around? That the Super Skrull machine might be the catalyst for the origin of the FF's powers in the MCU? Maybe it's captured and Reed and co. are analyzing the thing and it goes off.

Heck the Hulk's origins are basically an attempt to recreate Captain America, (Although I know the Ultimate comics came up with the idea first). Might be a bit different than the usual Cosmic storm or negative zone stuff.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

ngl, just watched episode 3 and I'm hooked now (Disgusting and immoral AI opening aside). Fury and Talos are a great duo played by two of my favorite actors. Hard to believe Sam Jackson is 74 years old, glad Nick Fury is finally being used as a main character, after playing him since 2008.

Can Gaia really be dead, did they fridge two female leads in 3 weeks?
    That was Rhoady on the phone at the end. Heca Skrull? It would explain last week.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Groot - Mr. Fantastic

Extremis - Human Torch

Am I missing something groot doesn't have elasticity and a frost beast can't turn invisible....?

Ha! They actually said "Super Skrull." And pretty on-point with them being the Skrull equivalent to a WMD.

Kind of got Nick and Contessa vibes with Nick and his wife in that diner scene, just the playfulness, her being one of his agents with a romantic streak in their relationship, etc. I wasn't expecting them to use the de-aging tech on another actor (that was the same actress, correct?). I like how Samuel Jackson was able to still inject a little more youthfulness to Fury in that scene. To think Nick Fury would cite proper procedure that prevents fraternization with a subordinate!

So Nick's been kind of a bad husband. It's one thing to be busy with work, that she understands since she was in the business, and it's not like it was his fault that she was left a widow and had to process that during the blip years...but then he basically comes back and then just abandons her to space. I mean, she's a Skrull, you couldn't just bring her up there with you? And then you insinuate she might be involved with Gravik (though it seems like she's more involved than she let on)? Fury's lucky she was as warm and affectionate as she was in this episode.

They still use flip phones? Though I guess those are convenient for spies.

I actually wonder how the current Earth's Mightiest Heroes would fare against Super Skrulls. I guess we haven't seen them fight so we don't really have a good baseline yet but I figure Spidey could probably take a few, maybe Ant-Man and Wasp at least one?

Moral of the episode: Do not mention Talos' daughter to mess with him.

They were all Skrulls, why not just assume their natural forms for that conversation?

"Help me Talos, I'm useless without you" - Well, that's one way to fix a friendship!

I guess Fury does owe quite a bit of his successes to Skrulls. I know the show isn't trying to portray it that all his successes were a result of Skrulls but in-between getting played by Gravik and everyone questioning his current effectiveness and capability in his old age, we haven't really gotten to see Nick get to strut his stuff. I guess they're just waiting for the eyepatch to come back.

I'm trying not to think about how easily WWIII could be started from just a simple order that even Britain's spymaster is powerless to stop.

What was the deal with the son? Like, was that the Skrull's actual son posing as the exact son of guy the Skrull was posing as? Because why else would a radicalized Skrull care about them threatening a kid that isn't his?

So a Skrull didn't just become Britain's PM, they actually replaced those world and influential leaders on the Skrull Council? So they were involved in this even before they actively threw in with Gravik?

It's really convenient that their memory transfer devices actively project the subject's memories for everyone to watch on a video screen. Even more convenient that the passcode is Bob's son, which seems like a big security risk.

Talos trying to restrain Skrull death but then shoots a Skrull in cold blood when he mentions his daughter. I guess Marvel protagonists can kill in cold blood again! Even if it just makes things worse!

Huh, so they really killed off Gaia like that, huh. I mean, plotwise I get it. There's only so much she could keep getting away with and Gravik was already on to her and this ups the personal stakes...though I'm genuinely surprised they kind of unceremoniously offed Emilia Clarke like that. Though of course only in death could we actually get to see her Skrull makeup. But I can't help but think this is yet another death of a female character meant to spur on the male protagonists like Maria's death.

So what do they do with the Skrulls onboard the sub? Just restrain them and bring them in for military tribunal or something, still assuming they're human?

Is a gun really worth putting in a safety deposit box? Unless it's more than just a gun.

Honestly I think it would've been more interesting if Rhodey wasn't a Skrull. Really takes away from that standout moment between him and Fury in the prior episode. Unless Rhodey was replaced afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Am I missing something groot doesn't have elasticity and a frost beast can't turn invisible....?
    Groot's limbs can kind of expand out like stretching.