Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Liked it but damn where those Monster Hunters terrible. And those were the best ones?
    No Elsa Bloodstone man thing and werewolf by night were just better

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    No Elsa Bloodstone man thing and werewolf by night were just better
    This. The hunters didn't do anything stupid or inept, imo. They lost because they were outclassed.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

This special was amazing. More of this marvel.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Elsa has a little brother, right? Curious that there was no mention of him in this special.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Perhaps not having their usual weaponry and only fighting with what was strewn about the maze affected their usual proficiency.
    Exactly. The essence of humans' hunting is all about having superior weapons, facing less capable prey, and extensive planning. It's never about surprise mano-a-mano conflict with the unknown as this seemed to be. If anything, the test was flawed.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    This special was amazing. More of this marvel.
    Hopefully the great reception will encourage that.

Spectacular Member

Pretty sure this is Fin Fang Foom. The last wall drawing on the right before the door entering the sitting rotunda. It's the best screen grab I could pull, but other's may have better skill at it.

Fin.JPG

One of the first illustrations they showed of Ulysses fighting a monster seemed to me like the Wendigo. (mostly kinda like a Bigfoot with a tail)

Thats pretty good sleuthing, you guys should get no prizes
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    One of the first illustrations they showed of Ulysses fighting a monster seemed to me like the Wendigo. (mostly kinda like a Bigfoot with a tail)
    I thought it was Wendigo too but then I saw on FB that it might actually be a completely different monster (can't recall it's name right now.) The picture from the comic looks exactly like the illustration on the show.

Spectacular Member

I was incorrect about the position of the wall drawing of what I think is Fin Fang Foom. As far as I can tell the order on one wall is Fin Fang Foom, a vampire in a coffin, then Gorr.

The other wall is an antler deer monster (?), a Sasquatch type monster, a Werewolf.

wwbn1.JPG

wwbn2.JPG

The last one that I call a Sasquatch could certainly be a Wendigo, too. At the beginning of the show, they showed a drawn scene of a battle with Bloodstone and what certainly is a Wendigo.
    Last edited by jtd; 10-11-2022 at 08:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Exactly. The essence of humans' hunting is all about having superior weapons, facing less capable prey, and extensive planning. It's never about surprise mano-a-mano conflict with the unknown as this seemed to be. If anything, the test was flawed.
    It’s actually a great way to quickly evaluate why these particular hunters are villains even outside of targeting our heroic lupine and Ted; Jack himself bluntly states he’s fought other monsters before (even aside the inference that he might have genuinely got those 100+ confirmed kills that might otherwise be a forgery.)

With Jack, Ted, Elsa and later Blade as more heroic monster hunters, we can probably ascertain what a heroic “true” hunter really is: a pragmatic, hard-working, unforgivingly determined but merciful hunter, seeking to find what “monsters” are out there and protect “people” from them, even if the “people” might be giant, green creatures with tentacle mustaches and the “monsters” grannies with unhealthy obsessions with killing those who are different.

The hunters that Ulysses gathered reflected a different, more egomaniacal, and morally ambiguous at the best of times group of “adventurers” rather than heroes; big game hunters rather than survivors and protectors. Elsa rejecting them likely showcases the idea that the era where Ulysses and co. were better than the alternative of nothing is over, and that some actual morality and practicality has to re-enter the arena.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    Pretty sure this is Fin Fang Foom. The last wall drawing on the right before the door entering the sitting rotunda. It's the best screen grab I could pull, but other's may have better skill at it.

Fin.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    It’s actually a great way to quickly evaluate why these particular hunters are villains even outside of targeting our heroic lupine and Ted; Jack himself bluntly states he’s fought other monsters before (even aside the inference that he might have genuinely got those 100+ confirmed kills that might otherwise be a forgery.)

With Jack, Ted, Elsa and later Blade as more heroic monster hunters, we can probably ascertain what a heroic “true” hunter really is: a pragmatic, hard-working, unforgivingly determined but merciful hunter, seeking to find what “monsters” are out there and protect “people” from them, even if the “people” might be giant, green creatures with tentacle mustaches and the “monsters” grannies with unhealthy obsessions with killing those who are different.

The hunters that Ulysses gathered reflected a different, more egomaniacal, and morally ambiguous at the best of times group of “adventurers” rather than heroes; big game hunters rather than survivors and protectors. Elsa rejecting them likely showcases the idea that the era where Ulysses and co. were better than the alternative of nothing is over, and that some actual morality and practicality has to re-enter the arena.
    I think Demon Slayer and Helstrom would fit nicely.

Moonie, too.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I think Demon Slayer and Helstrom would fit nicely.

Moonie, too.
    Man, I forgot about the Helstrom show. I wouldn't mind seeing them again - the actors were fine, but I found the show lacking.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

Very insightful, Godisawesome. I liked the show. But I did wonder why the monster-hunters were portrayed as villains. The monster-hunter is such a great historic icon of comic books. And monsters were monsters, the villains. I'm not a huge fan of the overall idea that monsters are just misunderstood/not monsters. And it's really the hunters who are evil. Don't love that overall idea. And Ulysses Bloodstone was portrayed here as more of a villain/or at least had villainous co-horts, but the comic character was a cool good guy. I guess they had to portray the Dad as bad, so the daughter could look more sympathetic?