Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default What would your dc 10 year plan be if you were drawing the dceu map?

Hey just wanted to know if you were david zaslav and you were doing the 10 year dc movie plan at wb discovery what would you do and what would go with each phase of the universe. Ex. phase 1: black Adam, shazam! fury of the gods, the flash, blue beetle, and aquaman and the lost kingdom. Phase 2: wonder woman 3, shazam! 3, man of steel 2, zatanna, and black canary. And so on so what is your dc map

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I don't even know where to begin. The DCEU (still not even the official name, part of the problem WB has had is not having an official name for these films) is a mess but there is a little hope that may change once Black Adam, Shazam! 2, and the Flash release within the next 12 months, followed by Aquaman 2.

It's funny to think that there was a plan originally with Snyder - a 5 film Superman/Justice League arc with individual origin movies and what not sprinkled in. When that all went South, WB had absolutely no effing idea what to do and it didn't help that WB has gone through two sales/mergers during this time (AT&T, Discovery).

I honestly have no idea what my plan would be right now, but below are the movies that would have me most excited:

Man of Steel 2
    Green Lantern Corps
    Cyborg/Flash team up film
    Justice League Dark
    The Terrifics

The Reeves bat-verse is its own thing and I'm still very excited to see that continuing.

Keep it simple
    Man of steel 2
    DCEU batman movie
    JSA
    WW3
    SS vs JL
    Green lantern
    JL vs LOD
    crisis on infinite earths

Joker 3 and the batman 2 can tie into COIE as well.
    Last edited by choptop; 09-10-2022 at 08:57 PM.

Amazing Member

I would leave Black Adam, Shazam, JSA, and Snyderverse castings shunted off on Earth 2. I'd have the Earth Batman for the Matt Reeves stuff and Joker, then while those finish out I would launch DC Earth 1 with better casting and ditch the failures that were the Snyder films.

Cast a dozen or so Satellite Era+ Justice Leaguers (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman and Hawkwoman, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Zantanna, the Atom, Martian Manhunter, Black Lightning) and actually start filming a connected universe. Depending on how good Blue Beetle is put it on this Earth.

The second and third Justice League movie could be a Multiple Earths cross over with the old film casts guesting to face Darkseid or the Anti-Monitor coming out 6 months apart to finish out the 10 years.

Sixpack
    Defenestrator
    Jean de Baton-Baton
    Bueno Excellente
    Friendly Fire
    Shakes
    Dogwelder
    Flemgem
    Then bring them all together for Section 8

Green Lantern 2

Incredible Member

The DC universe is mad complicated. And most of its characters are not grounded in things easy to relate to.

My initial thought would be to keep the movies separate or do simple tie-ins where it makes sense to do so i.e. Shazam & Black Adam. Not try to tie it into a larger theme among several movies.

What maybe could've worked was using their CW shows to lay foundations that could tie into a larger narrative in a movie. That opportunity is lost now. They could've done something similar with HBO Max, similar to Disney Plus, but that seems not likely now.

10 years is too much. Come up with a 4-5 year plan and if successful, go for a longer plan.

Justice League sequel
    Man Of Steel sequel
    JSA
    New Gods
    Teen Titans
    Deathstroke
    Lobo
    Bat-Family movie featuring Nightwing, Robin and Batgirl
    WW3
    Aquaman 3

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Drop all the Snyder-verse. Is tainted to anyone that isn't a Snyder-bot already, and has all the Ezra Miller baggage. Anyway, if they really want an MCU type of universe, they'll have to hire someone that knows what they're doing (the failures of DCU, Monsters Universe, Star Wars, etc,.prove how competent Feige is), and drop ALL the side projects- which include things like Black Superman and Phoenix version of Joker, Shazam, etc. If a shared universe really is a priority, it's a big gamble, but one they'll have to take.

I know for Justice League it should be like this:

Despero/Martian Invasion (introduces Martian Manhunter) --> Starro ---> Throne of Atlantis storyline crossover with Aquaman movie ---> New Gods spinoff (introduces Apokalips) ---> Darkseid (Endgame)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Drop all the Snyder-verse. Is tainted to anyone that isn't a Snyder-bot already, and has all the Ezra Miller baggage. Anyway, if they really want an MCU type of universe, they'll have to hire someone that knows what they're doing (the failures of DCU, Monsters Universe, Star Wars, etc,.prove how competent Feige is), and drop ALL the side projects- which include things like Black Superman and Phoenix version of Joker, Shazam, etc. If a shared universe really is a priority, it's a big gamble, but one they'll have to take.
    I agree with you, but several movies are already made right? you will get Shazam Black Adam Flash Blue Beetle Aquaman 2 probably another Wonder Woman Joker 2 Batman 2. Best to just get through it while you set up the reboot I think. Snyder was the worst choice DC/Warners made that really does need to end soon.

I do think Feige is running out of magic now that he's down to b listers. Good time for DC to steel the top spot with a reboot.

Seriously?

Completely forget whatever the "Daydreaming..."/"If I Had 'Scrooge McDuck...' Money..." plans you might be inclined to dream up might be.

Just stick to making simple/competent films, and build whatever you can off of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    That's not as simple as you may think.

Without having seen it, I still think rebooting The Flash with a new actor would be the easiest- just add a scene at the end with a new actor, say he's changed because of Flashpoint, and boom- new Barry Allen. But as for the rest?

Aquaman was HUGELY successful. They are not going to want to mess with that. They will keep Mamoa on as Arthur for as long as they can.

Wonder Woman was also very successful. WW84- was a lot more divisive, but Gal is already established as Wonder Woman and they will probably let them do the third planned movie. Hopefully they get better writers this time.

Shazam was already shown to be a part of the main DC Universe- Superman (sorta) appeared at the end of that movie. It's not a 'side project'. It was also a success, and has a sequel coming out next year. And The Rock has already said that he wants Black Adam and Shazam to face off eventually- he just didn't want it in his first appearance.

As for the rest- The Batman was very successful, and during a time when the Pandemic was still very much with us (it still is, but we've learned to ignore it). It hasn't been officially greenlit, but work has already begun. I don't think they'll drop it. But what I wonder is, if the rumors are true and WB got Ben Affleck back as Batman in the main DC universe, would they greenlight a solo Batfleck film at the same time they are doing The Batman 2? Or would that be a non-starter? Or would they cancel any future The Batman sequels to focus on their new main universe?

I have no idea why they are making a sequel to The Joker. It seems like such a bad idea on multiple levels. It should have been a one-and-done.

And while I know the rumor was the previous administration wanted to do a Crisis on Infinite Earths movie, I don't believe they could ever pull it off. For years, this and previous administrations have been adamant about not having more than one version of a character at a time- to the point they killed off the Suicide Squad on Arrow because a Suicide Squad movie was coming out, and they thought people would confuse a black Deadshot with a white Deadshot. They killed off Waller on Arrow for the same reason. They wouldn't allow them to use Slade anymore for some time, because he was set to be the villain in the Batfleck movie. They never let them use Ted Kord, because a Blue Beetle movie (the Ted Kord version) was in development hell for over a decade, and they were always saying 'It's coming soon!'. Frankly, the most shocking thing to me about the Arrowverse's CoIE was that the studio actually asked Berlanti to give Ezra a cameo, and for the first time we got to see the two Flash's together.

Crisis would be showcasing multiple versions of characters from multiple realities. I don't think the studio heads would get it, I think that they would interfere, and we'd probably end up with another Josstice League situation.

As for my 10 year plan?

We got several movies already in the can- The Flash, Aquaman 2, and Black Adam, and Shazam. Black Adam comes out first, use that to start to rebuild a new DCEU. Retool the other three movies slightly if needed (which I think they did with Aquaman), and use these four as a foundation for the future of the universe. WW3 will be set in the present day. Let's finally get the Batfleck movie. I never thought Cyborg should get his own film, but maybe feature him as a co-lead in someone else's film. Do the Green Lantern Corps as a show on HBO Max, but tie it into the larger DCEU. Maybe finally do a proper Birds of Prey or Gotham City Sirens. Retool the Batgirl script to fit into this universe, and hell- make it a BatGIRLS movie and bring in Stephanie and an ACCURATE Cassandra Cain, and have them working with Leslie Grace's Batgirl who will already be established instead of just starting out. I'd love to see a Green Arrow/Black Canary movie. And a Supergirl movie with Sasha Calle. And if they do decide to do Crisis, make it 10 years from now, as a culmination of everything that has been done, like Infinity War/Endgame was for the MCU. And if they do it, I hope they bring back everyone they can, including Smallville/Gotham/Arrowverse actors.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Like I said, if they really want a MCU style shared universe, this is the only way to go. Do they NEED one to be successful? I don't think so.

Astonishing Member

The focus should be on trying to make each film the best it can be with an eye on building to potential sequels for each character. The current management didn't do that because they were in too much of a rush to put a Justice League film together.

At this point they probably need to either do Flashpoint (which The Flash is likely going to do) or a crisis. Sort out the elements that they want to keep, use the set up to ditch the rest and go from there. I don't think it needs to be as interconnected as the MCU.

Animation, animation, and more animation, did I mention animation?
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."