Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Definitely, my next choice would be Englehart's plans for Daredevil (& Black Widow?) joining the West Coast Avengers back in the '80s

For me, Englehart was Bendis before Bendis arrived on the Avengers scene. He enjoyed putting characters that, IMHO, had nothing to do with the Avengers on the team, such as mercenary Moon Knight, prostitute Mantis, former assassin for hire Swordsman, vigilant Daredevil, etc... (I won't credit him for Black Widow, because Roy Thomas had already used her pleanty before Englehart came along). On the other hand, just to play the devil's advocate, he did introduce former X-Men Beast into the team, and that did work out quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Was that when they lived in San Francisco?
    No. They lived in SF, when the Avengers invited them into the team back around issue #110-112 of the original book (then written by Englehart). When Englehart supposedly considered bringing them into the WCA (and I say supposedly, because he never actually got to write the issues in which this would happen), they (or at least DD) were living in NY. So, go figure. I, for one, found it a terrible idea. With one of the team's powerhouses Iron Man having left the team, IMHO, the WCA needed more power rather than more warm bodies back then. I'd have prefered if he'd brought in Giant Man (which guest-stared in a couple of issues around the time), Son of Satan and Hellcat, or someone else with true power.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yes, that's the one Frontier was talking about!
    ^^^My bad, I confused outlawed w. this…:

I never really heard the Outlawed book referred to as that here.
    There were many more colorful and derogatory terms applied!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    For me, Englehart was Bendis before Bendis arrived on the Avengers scene. He enjoyed putting characters that, IMHO, had nothing to do with the Avengers on the team, such as mercenary Moon Knight, prostitute Mantis, former assassin for hire Swordsman, vigilant Daredevil, etc... (I won't credit him for Black Widow, because Roy Thomas had already used her pleanty before Englehart came along). On the other hand, just to play the devil's advocate, he did introduce former X-Men Beast into the team, and that did work out quite well.
    Well, thank you very much. It's been quite a long time, but finally someone explained what the heck was the deal with Englehart (aside from his over-reliance on Wanda/Vision). But, in agreement with you about The Beast. All things considered, it would've been a total blast to see Henry make his triumphant return to the ranks of The Avengers back in the Nineties ('90s). Alas, if only Mr. Harras had allowed it...

No. They lived in SF, when the Avengers invited them into the team back around issue #110-112 of the original book (then written by Englehart). When Englehart supposedly considered bringing them into the WCA (and I say supposedly, because he never actually got to write the issues in which this would happen), they (or at least DD) were living in NY. So, go figure. I, for one, found it a terrible idea. With one of the team's powerhouses Iron Man having left the team, IMHO, the WCA needed more power rather than more warm bodies back then. I'd have prefered if he'd brought in Giant Man (which guest-stared in a couple of issues around the time), Son of Satan and Hellcat, or someone else with true power.

Peace
    I know, right?! Even Daredevil himself pointed that out...

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-16-2022 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

This makes no sense. They debuted Circuit Breaker in Secret Wars so Marvel can have the rights to the character but they were able to keep the characters they created in Micronauts while not being able to keep the rights to Red Sonja?
    Think its the names from what i heard. Think her human name is co owned by one and "circuit breaker" by another. Not sure why as she was in secret wars 2 first. Marvel should fully own her than again marvel owned the rom bad guys and just gave them back to hasbro without a fight. Not sure why marvel doesn't just give her a "nickname". Rom can use roms human form but not robot one? Why not just give him a new hero form and name? They gave monica tons of names by this point? Call him spaceknight.

Gunn wanted bug for gotg film but there is a rights issue with him also over bug in a film so he could not use him. They then snuck micron city into ant-man 2 anyway! May be our only micronuts nod in the mcu. We got a dr who nod snuck into avengers 2 also!

They did have to rename it Quantum Realm instead of Microverse.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Skimming the thread, did anyone mention the NW book that just seemed too bad to be true?

On page one.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    So she did appear in Iron Man in the 80s? Did they actually interact much? Julia, of course, was used as the stand in for Tony's redheaded girlfriends Pepper Potts and Bethany Cabe in the 90s cartoon.
    Iron Man#214 is where most of her situation is introduced ever since she left Freedom Force in Avengers Annual#15.

Their interactions were in it were alright, Valerie Cooper tells Stark to go after Julia since she's a fugitive, he begrudgingly accepts, finds Julia, decides to help her, and then Julia ultimately accepts to let the government have her so she's not a fugitive anymore:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...22/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...06/unknown.png

Her next appearances in Spectacular Spider-Man#125 and #126 basically had her taking over Spidey's comic to develop her situation some more (She did the same to Iron Man#214, but it was more subtle, and Stark still moved the plot, meanwhile in Spectacular, she moved the plot), by showing her working with the government and saying why she became Spider-Woman, which's basically, bored housewife finds super-heroing to be fun, and then her life is screwed 'cause of it:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...Du1Dyh7j7A.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...47K2w5CLTo.png

(Spectacular#125)

Anyways, checking wiki appearances here, she did show up a few more times in Iron Man, and she was in West Coast Avengers while he was a member, and they were both in Force Works, so there must've been more around.

But basically Julia's life sucked, to the point she didn't get a mini about how much her life sucks :P.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 09-17-2022 at 05:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Fantastic Member

^^^Skimming the thread, did anyone mention the NW book that just seemed too bad to be true?

I would have liked to have read this. Really didn't get the tremendous opposition.

I abhored almost everything I heard about this series, but I really liked that redesign of Night Thrasher.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

I really LOVED the Silver Centurion Iron Man armor.

Peace

I've got a REAL obscure one. Back in the 1980s, I was working for Marvel Age Magazine (for those of you not old enough to remember it, Marvel Age was a public relations magazine, which gave information about upcoming Marvel projects). I was asked to meet with Jim Owsley (before you became Christopher Priest) to talk about a new project he was working on. It was an Angel limited series. I remember nothing about it except that the villain's name was Charlamagne. And it never came out. It was the only article I wrote for Marvel Age that was not published.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Astonishing Member

Happy most of them were axed.

For some reason, in the back of my mind I seem to recall a PUCK mini-series being discussed at the height of Alpha Flight's popularity, but I can't seem to find hide nor hair of it mentioned on the interwebs. Am I just making this up or does anyone else vaguely remember anything like this?

Fantastic Member

For the current fans, whatever happened to I believe it was called JANUS? Where the apparently now evil Guardian of Alpha Flight is working with a new Cabal? I have the 1-shot from a few years back, I’m old and my memory sucks lately. That plot go by the wayside? I can’t remember if Heather is dead(?)….help?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Peace
    Re: Englehart and Mantis. That was one of Englehart's pet creations and he would toss her in just about everything he did back then. She even was in the Fantastic Four, not a team member thank goodness but was prominently features in an two parter with Kang. But it wouldn't surprise me had he proposed adding her to the comic and was turned down. He had a version of her in DC called Willow. IIRC there were some at Marvel that were pretty annoyed with him trying to add her in as a guest star in things that he wrote

323-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I've got a REAL obscure one. Back in the 1980s, I was working for Marvel Age Magazine (for those of you not old enough to remember it, Marvel Age was a public relations magazine, which gave information about upcoming Marvel projects). I was asked to meet with Jim Owsley (before you became Christopher Priest) to talk about a new project he was working on. It was an Angel limited series. I remember nothing about it except that the villain's name was Charlamagne. And it never came out. It was the only article I wrote for Marvel Age that was not published.
    please Reconnect with Mr. Priest to revive this project. The Angel could be a sleeper hit.

I remember seeing ads for Marvel Music one-shots back in 1994. The vast majority of them did not come out except for one based on rap group Onyx.

https://www.spin.com/2014/03/marvel-...ay-cyrus-onyx/
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 09-20-2022 at 08:00 PM.