Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DC or Marvel

Default DC or Marvel

Hey everyone! Quick question do you like Marvel or DC better? I like DC better. I'm a Batman freak.

I really enjoy Marvel Better. Spiderman, Avengers, Hulk. Just cant be topped.

I do enjoy some DC but it is mostly older stuff. I hate Marvel Golden Age but love DC Golden Age. And for DC I enjoy the camp and goofiness of the 50s and 60s. But I havnt read anything newer then the New 52 on DC and to be honest I dont see that changing any time soon. I mostly read DC more out of obligation some days more then because I want to. It is more of a They have been around forever so I have to like them. More then a I really do like them. Not saying there are not titles I enjoy because I do enjoy some older titles. But it seems more of a chore some days then legit enjoyment. To me DC was best in the 60s and 70s.

The only reason I dont post much on the comics sections is because I dont read a lot of new Stuff. It is mostly 60s and 70s stuff.

I am a loud and proud Member of the M.M.M.S And I will always say Make Mine Marvel
    Last edited by babyblob; 09-12-2022 at 05:28 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

I'd maybe give a slight edge to Marvel as a whole. Each was better than the other (IMO) at different points in time.

BANNED

As a small child I bought comics mostly from gas stations or grocery stores, and took what I could get. Whether it was an issue of Spectacular Spider-Man with werewolves or the Molten Man, or Hawk & Dove, or X-Factor, etc. It didn't matter.

Then I started reading them more regularly, and between an old Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four collection at my school library (I must have read through dozens of times) and the X-Men cartoon I was pretty much a heavy Marvel guy.

But after a while I branched out and realized that while I had favorite characters and supporting casts what was far more important to my enjoyment was the the writing and (to a far lesser extent) the art.

I always felt that (up until Bendis' Avengers) Marvel had a more cohesive continuity and felt like a place you could walk into and just about every story was part of a long tapestry of them that stretched back to the Silver Age. That was a plus to me.

On the other hand, DC had a much wider range of storytelling styles. From your basic superheroics to horror to sci-fi to fantasy, from all-ages to mature audiences only. You kind of see that with the DC vs Disney superhero movies and TV, Disney staying in its (quite successful) lane and rarely venturing out while DC seems to throw everything at the wall and hoping some of it sticks.

Short answer, both and more. Why limit yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing's_Lover View Post
    Hey everyone! Quick question do you like Marvel or DC better? I like DC better. I'm a Batman freak.
    I have more of a fondness for DC, but I'm not buying/reading anything from either Marvel or DC at present.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I have more of a fondness for DC, but I'm not buying/reading anything from either Marvel or DC at present.
    Are you just tired of the same old same old?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Are you just tired of the same old same old?
    Actually, I'm tired of the current directions / current writing / etc.

It's unfortunately not as enjoyable or as interesting to me as "the same old same old".

Astonishing Member

Marvel

The last DC´s I read were Silencer, Damage, Doomsday Clock and Tom Kings Mister Miracle. Right now, nothing interest me anymore.

but when I think of it, I buy only Amazing and Miles Morales from Marvel, so the time of having around 20 Marvels in my pull list is over. I am sick of it all.

My independence pull list is growing and growing.

My Oath requires me to prefer Marvel to DC. Plua I'm understandably partial to my multiverse of origin.
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

I said I dont read modern DC. Well I also dont really read Modern Marvel. The only real Modern stuff I read is Spiderman and even that is from 2012/2013 right now. I tried reading some of Hickmans Avengers but man was it kind of drawn out and so many crossover issues.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

X-books.

I don't read much, if any, Marvel outside of them.

Last time I really bought much from DC was New 52, but they canceled or undid everything I bought. I don't like Batman (scandalous, I know). I'll only buy random things, like the art inspired me to pick up Human Target.

I love the Marvel Universe.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Actually, I'm tired of the current directions / current writing / etc.

It's unfortunately not as enjoyable or as interesting to me as "the same old same old".
    That's me. I'll look at some of the new stuff sometimes, but generally do not find it enjoyable. At the same time, I'm going thru 10-12 titles from the archives of each of The Big Two on their apps, cover month by cover month. Just getting to 1970 now. It's interesting to watch the trends that develop across titles and companies.

One thing you find is that both had really good stuff going on, and both had really bad stuff going on in different titles at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That's me. I'll look at some of the new stuff sometimes, but generally do not find it enjoyable. At the same time, I'm going thru 10-12 titles from the archives of each of The Big Two on their apps, cover month by cover month. Just getting to 1970 now. It's interesting to watch the trends that develop across titles and companies.

One thing you find is that both had really good stuff going on, and both had really bad stuff going on in different titles at the same time.
    Im doing the same for Marvel. I am on 1968. I had this big plan to start from the beginning and read it all. But I kept getting side tracked/starting over. I am making my attempt again. Today I am reading 1968 Daredevil and 1968 Hulk. Though for Spidermna I am on 1975 and 2013.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing's_Lover View Post
    DC because they listen to their fans. Marvel is owned by Disney and has to keep up a certain "image." DC, on the other hand, is not afraid to experiment, even though, yeah, those experiments sometimes result in something terrible *cough* the first Suicide Squad movie *cough*.

I'll admit that Marvel seems to do a better job with their characters and movies and such, but DC tries to give us what we want. Marvel, on the other hand, not really. For example, DC's experimented with bringing back my favorite obscure characters and they even listened to that fan request about giving the Joker an anti-hero arc, even though they did it in Elseworlds. Meanwhile, Marvel has yet to give me anything Gwenpool outside of comics, not even an animated movie.
    Last edited by kcomics; 10-06-2022 at 07:27 AM.