Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Loco View Post
    Damian doesn’t really work as Bruce Wayne’s Robin. He was fantastic as Dick Grayson’s Robin. Bruce and Damian don’t complement one another, so writers fall into the plot of having them at odds over and over. Authoritarian mentor + rebellious sidekick = conflict.
    I disagree. Tomasi's Batman and Robin was excellent. Because Tomasi understood that no matter what happens Bruce loves Damian from the bottom of his heart and Damian is a good person at his core.

Also, Bruce having to deal with a just as stubborn mini-me can be hilarious and force him to reflect a lot about his own behaviour and character.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    I disagree. Tomasi's Batman and Robin was excellent. Because Tomasi understood that no matter what happens Bruce loves Damian from the bottom of his heart and Damian is a good person at his core.

Also, Bruce having to deal with a just as stubborn mini-me can be hilarious and force him to reflect a lot about his own behaviour and character.
    Exactly this, it can and should be played as a fun family drama. How many parents have said to their adult children, "I hope you have a son/daughter just like you."?

It should very much be Bruce at the end of the day, exhausted in the cave and saying, "Was I ever like that at his age?" to Alfred, and just a shot of Alfred smiling knowingly as he walks off.

That should be the drama, not them trying to kill eachother all the time.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Exactly this, it can and should be played as a fun family drama. How many parents have said to their adult children, "I hope you have a son/daughter just like you."?

I don’t think fun family drama is really what they’re going for, at least not on a regular basis. Maybe every now and again. Not that there’s anything wrong with that per se, but it’s not really the tone of most Batman stories.
    Cheers - CL

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post

It should very much be Bruce at the end of the day, exhausted in the cave and saying, "Was I ever like that at his age?" to Alfred, and just a shot of Alfred smiling knowingly as he walks off.

The problem is, it doesn't seem like they're really interested in that.

Yeah, it hasn't felt like anyone has been really interested in writing Damian as Bruce's Robin in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, it hasn't felt like anyone has been really interested in writing Damian as Bruce's Robin in a long time.
    A lot of that I feel is timing. They were together a while before Damian died in Batman Inc., came back only for Bruce to die in Endgame and be mind wiped so Damian had solo adventures. By the time Bruce came back as Batman they made Damian a teen in Rebirth who hung out with Jon and the Titans more and not having time for Bruce who was training up Duke and trying to Marry Catwoman.

Finally he got older Alfred was killed, he quit the Titans, had a fallout with Bruce and is currently in his moody teenage phase as he tries to figure out his life.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Not to mention the fact, that DC themselves weren't really interested in any Dynamic Duo at all. Snyder had issues with writing Damian and also he wanted to push his own characters, King only cared about Selina, Tynion was annoyed by editorial mandates and because of that introduced new characters. And currently it seems like Bruce and Damian being on bad terms is another editorial mandate.

Extraordinary Member

And as he gets older the more fine I’m about it. He was dicks Robin anyway and I’d rather get a story arc of them working together.

Extraordinary Member

Personally, I think Bruce and Damian made a great Batman & Robin pair solely for the fact that Bruce put him in his place, which Damian needs more often than not.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    And as he gets older the more fine I’m about it. He was dicks Robin anyway and I’d rather get a story arc of them working together.
    Dick and Damian were the best, but it's been established Damian was still Bruce's Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Honestly, kinda wished people would finally let that go. They worked together only for a year, Dick won't replsce Bruce as Batman again and Dick barely gets enough attention in his own Nightwing book as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Personally, I think Bruce and Damian made a great Batman & Robin pair solely for the fact that Bruce put him in his place, which Damian needs more often than not.
    Damian has people attempting to put him in his place all the time. It doesn't work on him though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    Damian has people attempting to put him in his place all the time. It doesn't work on him though.
    I felt like with Bruce it did. At least for that run. God knows the kid needs it.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Tynion- Batman/TMNT [2 volumes] Awesome series.

Taylor - Tec Annual

Tomasi- Rebirth Superman/tec

Priest - Rebirth Deathstroke

Jimenez - Batman Blk and WHT

Writers have been interested in writing Damian as Bruce's Robin it's just that since New 52 B&R ended he was promptly exiled from the Bat editorial office and Gotham.

It seemed that behind the scenes, editorial have chosen to let him do his thing elsewhere [like Robins do]. They only really use him more as a device for Batman angst and Batfam stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Not to mention the fact, that DC themselves weren't really interested in any Dynamic Duo at all. Snyder had issues with writing Damian and also he wanted to push his own characters, King only cared about Selina, Tynion was annoyed by editorial mandates and because of that introduced new characters. And currently it seems like Bruce and Damian being on bad terms is another editorial mandate.
    This has been the norm for quite a while [since the 90's] I think we forget that Damian wasn't present a whole bunch in the main Batman series.

Morrison brought the Dynamic duo back together as a full time team but DC still and him create a brand new title because they needed the Batman solo to be open with room to pull in any supporting cast as needed.