Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    He's already had two heroic deaths.

The book was doomed to fail from the outset due to the status quo Slott created for him. I said as much before the first issue came out. It's actually a small miracle it made it all the way to 25 issues.
    I disagree.

I know I'm repeating myself with this but I just don't see how Ben's return would have worked any other way. It's not like the character has much usable mythology, you can't just bring him back and have him working at the Daily Grind and fight crime in NYC like the old days. Even simply bringing him back as a hero in another city would not work, in 2018 a non Peter Parker Spider title needs to be distinct in order to survive. Simply being Spider-Man with a hoodie is not going to cut it.

On the other hand the hero long thought dead come back as a villain and then take them on a redemption arc from from anti-hero to hero again has reliably worked similar characters. The Clone Conspiracy may not have been the strongest of events but it left Reilly in a place that has a proven track record of working.

The problem was that PAD was uninterested in any redemption arc. That was clear from the eerie smile through the mask on all the promo images and the previews showing Ben charging people for being rescued it wasn't going to take Ben on a redemption journey.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    While Kaine’s book was undeniably better, it wouldn’t have mattered. They both had the exact same number of issues before being cancelled: 25. If anything Marvel probably kept Ben’s book going a bit longer than it would’ve out of respect for long-time employee Peter David. It’s numbers were shocking... it was selling like 13,000 copies a month towards the end, maybe lower.
    Yost's Scarlet Spider series was not a big seller but it did better than PAD's but more importantly the people who read it liked it and left Kaine with enough interest to still have a presence in the Marvel Universe even after the book folded. He played a prominent role in both Spider-Verse and The Clone Conspiracy. If PAD's Scarlet Spider series had met with a similar reception it's likely Ben (and Kaine) wouldn't likely be on the chopping block for Spider-Geddon now.

Amazing Member

If we lose Kaine, but keep friggin’ Spider-Gwen.... then just “ugh.”

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Theoretically, Ben is the guy who doesn't break no matter what life throws his way. He's the guy who thought he was the real Peter Parker, then had all that ripped away (along with his support system). He tried to put power and responsibility behind him, but found he couldn't shake the Parker conscience. And then he discovered that he had been the real Peter Parker all along, only to have it ripped away AGAIN.

There's enough there to differentiate him from other Spider-themed characters running around.
    look, i love that take but isn't it really just peter in a shittier situation?

i'd find it interesting personally (and moreso than ASM), but idk if it would sell truckloads of books.
    troo fan or death

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    look, i love that take but isn't it really just peter in a shittier situation?

i'd find it interesting personally (and moreso than ASM), but idk if it would sell truckloads of books.

If people are always going to approach anything involving Ben with the mentality of " He's just Peter but _____" then to me the character simply isn't for you. Even the direction they took this time somebody could make the case thatif Marvel, really, really wanted to they could've done the same thing with Peter....That's either a stumbling block for somebody or it isn't...pretty cut and dry imho.

Also why is there this requirement placed on a book involving Ben that he must sell massive amounts of books to make it worthwhile ??? Pretty sure the same expectations weren't placed upon slapstick, solo, prowler or any of the other books Marvel were handing out ongoings to so not sure why some place this expectation on anything involving Ben.
    Last edited by classicgmer; Yesterday at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    . Even the direction they took this time somebody could make the case thatif Marvel, really, really wanted to they could've done the same thing with Peter....

except that marvel can't/won't do that with peter. the only time they tried pushing peter over the edge was the i am spider hilarity of the 90s. the thing about the 90s take on ben was that it was (very well) designed to allow him to take over the spider titles...a ship that has long sailed.

there is definitely something to be said (which i...uh..said...earlier in this thread) for ben being a take on peter that writers can run free with...but there's probably a more interesting take to be found inbetween "peter whose really, really down on his luck" and "psycho killer qu'est-ce que c'est fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-far"

it's finding that sweet spot and the right level of nuance to make it work.

Also why is there this requirement placed on a book involving Ben that he must sell massive amounts of books to make it worthwhile ???
    probably helps it get past #25
    troo fan or death