Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    why even release a new scarlet spider series if everyone just wants it to be like the old one?

if it was exactly like the old scarlet spider series people would eventually be bored out of their minds from the been there done that schtick
    Everything gets boring eventually. That's why things disappear for 20 years and then suddenly come back into popularity.

I'm happy we'll be seeing the original costume again but I can't help but feel like it's damage control to salvage fan's excitement for this series after what the Clone Conspiracy did to Ben. They didn't do a lot to get people excited to see him again after how he was characterized there. I've been wanting Ben back forever but now I couldn't be more ambivalent, not sure if I'll get the new series.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Marvel's hand wasn't forced to bring Brock back. Brock's return is happening so early in the new volume's run that it was obviously a part of Mike Costa's pitch for the series.

Lee Price is going to stay on in the book once he's no longer host as an antagonist for Brock/Venom.

As for the costume change for Ben, that unclear whether it was a reaction to fan response. Could be, could not be. If it's just that Ben suddenly starts wearing the old costume after an issue or two, then yes, probably. If it's an actual story point early on that causes him to revert to the old costume, then no.
    Honestly, I would rather Ben not wear the original costume if he's going to be all super-villainy. Maybe something happens after the first arc that redeems him enough to justify putting him back in the old threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    that's my concern too...fans these days are so afraid of change that they will scream at Marvel/DC until they do something about it
    But isn't your argument based on the assumption that all change is automatically a good thing, simply by virtue of being 'different'. If someone is a fan of a character, then surely their wanting to read about that character acting like... that character... doesn't seem like an unreasonable expectation, does it?

And if we're only talking about cosmetic changes like costumes, then no that's not a big deal in itself. But people are still perfectly entitled to have an opinion on a new design without it being considered 'screaming'. Besides which, most opinions on the new costume here seemed less about it not being Ben's original outfit and more about people not being sold on it purely in its own right. And that isn't about nostalgia at all, but simply about wanting something good in the here and now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I'm happy we'll be seeing the original costume again but I can't help but feel like it's damage control to salvage fan's excitement for this series after what the Clone Conspiracy did to Ben. They didn't do a lot to get people excited to see him again after how he was characterized there. I've been wanting Ben back forever but now I couldn't be more ambivalent, not sure if I'll get the new series.
    I'll still give the new series a fair chance but, like you, I'm no longer nearly as excited for it as I was when it was first announced.

If Slott was writing it I probably wouldn't touch it, though.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 02-16-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    But isn't your argument based on the assumption that all change is automatically a good thing, simply by virtue of being 'different'. If someone is a fan of a character, then surely their wanting to read about that character acting like... that character... doesn't seem like an unreasonable expectation, does it?

And if we're only talking about cosmetic changes like costumes, then no that's not a big deal in itself. But people are still perfectly entitled to have an opinion on a new design without it being considered 'screaming'. Besides which, most opinions on the new costume here seemed less about it not being Ben's original outfit and more about people not being sold on it purely in its own right. And that isn't about nostalgia at all, but simply about wanting something good in the here and now.
    Exactly.

I look at the current iterations of classic characters and I can't think of a single one that I consider to be better now.

Except Bucky.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
    The new comic was never even given a chance. How can anyone say they wouldn't have liked it? Or the new suit? But so many ranted they are now backtracking already. How soon will they kill Ben off again because of all the complaints is my question.
    But the new comic is still the new comic.. the only thing that Marvel have confirmed they've changed is a costume. All we knew about the series before this was a solicit and cover. We still know virtually nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    I'll still give the new series a fair chance but, like you, I'm no longer nearly as excited for it as I was when it was first announced.

Yeah, I think I'd just like to hear some more about what the series will be like and how Ben will be characterized because the only interview with PAD on it so far was still kinda vague about it since we were still in the thick of the Clone Conspiracy.

I agree with ya about Slott. Love his Silver Surfer still but I just don't connect with his Spider-Man stuff anymore. I hadn't been reading his Amazing Spidey since 2014 but I came back for the Clone Conspiracy and I'm officially done. Will be reading Spectacular Spider-Man, and continue reading Renew Your Vows, though!

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post

Agree with this 110% the way Slott treated Ben is criminal, in my mind it's not the real deal just another unhinged clone, but with this creative team and a return to his classic look, I'm inclined to, t least, try this book, but if Slott was involved I wouldn't touch it
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

iMan 42s

Ben's new costume could've been saved but I definitely appreciate them returning to something a bit more familiar and hold it their until something better works. I'd actually say that it could be kind of interesting if Ben over time develops the new Scarlet Spider costume. Listening to feedback isn't always a bad thing and Ben's costume did leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
    I think they're lying. They're totally backtracking on the suit because of all the hate it got. I liked it. Oh well.
    Literally the only horrible thing about the other costume was the :I face. If they got rid of that not as many people would've complained.
    That being said I do like the original Scarlet Spider costume. It's so corny and very 90s.
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

I just read Ben is coming back and will (eventually) have the original costume!! YES!!! THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY!!! YES!!!!!
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

Spectacular Member

I'm excited for this series. For those of you feeling ambivalent or on the fence, just remember PAD took Layla Miller who was little more than a plot device and turned her into a fully realized and viable character.

It's what he excels at. So if you don't like Scott's Ben, I really suggest you at least check out what PAD will do.
    Have you pre-ordered Nova yet? I have.

So here's two questions over "Ben Reilly" getting his old hoodie back

1. If this was the plan all along, why not just start the new series with him in his old costume? And
    2. Why is Marvel essentially spoiling the ending of Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider's first story arc a full two months before the first issue even comes out?

Ben Reilly To Get His Original Scarlet Spider Costume Back
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    If someone is a fan of a character, then surely their wanting to read about that character acting like... that character... doesn't seem like an unreasonable expectation, does it?
    What seems unreasonable to me is the unwillingness of some people to let a story play out, or to demand that a character stay the same despite whatever life-altering event may be happening in the story.
    We have these idealized versions of who Ben Reilly is, but the fact of the matter is that, in Slott's story, Ben has been tortured and killed over and over. For him to not be altered by that is unrealistic, just as it would be for any of us.

I imagine the upcoming Scarlet Spider series will show us a Ben who, slowly but surely, will become more and more like the Ben we knew - but the trauma he suffered needs to be overcome before that happens.

Maybe I'm a weird person, but I just don't get the disdain that others are feeling about Slott's treatment of Ben. Ben is probably my favorite fictional character in all of literature, but I'm not upset that we saw Ben in a villainous light. It's a story. Things have to happen in stories. Slott decided to write a story in which Ben has been changed, but for me, it's still Ben - because it IS still Ben.

I'm glad he's back, and I look forward to seeing what PAD and Bags have in store for him.

-Pav, who can't wait for that first issue...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details