Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Dude, it's not worth it. The One Above All could come out of the comic and tell them that it was Ben all along but they'd still deny it because of Clone Conspiracy. While I may not have like Slott turning Ben into a madman, I do like that PAD has put Ben in a position that grounded him and gives him the opportunity to really come to see the true worth of life, something that Warren had stolen from him with his experiments. It's taken 7 issues, but I'm glad that we've gotten a payoff to it and get to see Ben's true character finally shining through, something that we had been getting glimpses of the whole time.
    Yea Slott left open a perfect way for PAD to work his magic (and he did), almost like the 90's all over again only this time people are actually rooting FOR Ben.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    While I may not have like Slott turning Ben into a madman, I do like that PAD has put Ben in a position that grounded him and gives him the opportunity to really come to see the true worth of life, something that Warren had stolen from him with his experiments. It's taken 7 issues, but I'm glad that we've gotten a payoff to it and get to see Ben's true character finally shining through, something that we had been getting glimpses of the whole time.
    7 issues? It's actually taken 2 issues. Prior to #6, the closest thing NotBen had done to even a vaguely altruistic act was helping out Aunt NotMay. And that mostly seemed to be motivated cos he found it funny. Beyond that, everything else, including claiming to want to cure Abigail was all about his own agenda.

As a result, NotBen's face turn reads a lot more like a sudden plot swerve (or at the very least, an extremely compressed story arc). If the first few issues of the book had seen NotBen dealing with any kind of conflict, or questioning his actions and motivations, this sudden turn might have felt more organic. Instead it's been 5 issues of NotBen-douchery and then suddenly he's all altruistic and all about stopping murderers and saving Kaine and the kid. And when does this sudden change in behaviour occur? Why, it's just at the same time Death spills the beans about NotBen's damaged soul.

Right now, NotBen still doesn't feel like Ben (cos you know, there was a bit more to Ben's character than simply being a good guy). But if people wanna believe this Ben is Ben, then fair enough. As people have said, it's been confirmed in story so who am I to argue? But, given the whole nature of cloning and original Ben's death, I think there's enough wiggle room for those of us who aren't sold on NotBen to consider him Ben version 2. Or version 27.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

BANNED

This is still the post-OMD reality, that in itself is not representative of the original continuity. So yeah, Milhouse Van Houten could offer me Ben's certifiable soul on a sheet of paper for $20 and I still wouldn't buy it while that deal is in place.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 09-20-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Spectacular Member

Public service announcement for Ben Reilly fans, the Spider-man: Redemption mini is now up on Marvel Unlimited. It shows the last showdown between Kaine and Ben before Ben's death in Spider-man 75.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    Public service announcement for Ben Reilly fans, the Spider-man: Redemption mini is now up on Marvel Unlimited. It shows the last showdown between Kaine and Ben before Ben's death in Spider-man 75.
    The starting point of Kaine's redemption and his eventual rise to, albeit reluctant, heroism and where he and Ben finally buried the hatchet. Shame Clone Conspiracy went and gave Kaine new reasons to hate Ben's guts, though I'm still hoping for a reconciliation between them as they both come to terms with who they are and what they've done.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Are we allowed to post artwork of our controversally awesome Spider?

Astonishing Member

.....Another incredible Issue of the SCARLET SPIDER and although the new artist will take some getting use to (unless you've read the AVENGERS AI Series); still PAD has kept the track rolling with more twists for both Ben Reilly and the Slingers; plus both spoilers:
    Cassie/Dusk and Ritchie/Prodigy has indeed returned
    end of spoilers within Issue #11.
    Last edited by PaxHouse; 12-13-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    .....Another incredible Issue of the SCARLET SPIDER and along the new artist will take some getting use to (unless you've read the AVENGERS AI Series); still PAD has kept the track rolling with more twists for both Ben Reilly and the Slingers; plus both spoilers:
    Cassie/Dusk and Ritchie/Prodigy has indeed returned
    end of spoilers within Issue #11.
    Pav's gonna be really happy about this.

Astonishing Member

This shouldn't come to no surprise, but it appears that Ben Reilly will be caught up within the DR. STRANGE: DAMNATION Event; as evident by the Marvel Solicts from Marvel Comics......

Marvel's Marvel Solicts for DR. STRANGE: DAMNATION

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    This shouldn't come to no surprise, but it appears that Ben Reilly will be caught up within the DR. STRANGE: DAMNATION Event; as evident by the Marvel Solicts from Marvel Comics......

Marvel's Marvel Solicts for DR. STRANGE: DAMNATION
    "Say goodbye / As we dance with the devil tonight / Don't you dare look him in the eye / As we dance with the devil tonight . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    "Say goodbye / As we dance with the devil tonight / Don't you dare look him in the eye / As we dance with the devil tonight . . ."
    I would buy a Midnight Sons title with that line-up - no question.

Do it, Marvel.

-Pav, who passed on the current(?) Midnight Sons miniseries...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I would buy a Midnight Sons title with that line-up - no question.

Do it, Marvel.

-Pav, who passed on the current(?) Midnight Sons miniseries...
    Spirits of Vengeance? Yeah, it's still going on, but only for two more issues. Now, if it were to relaunch as the All-New Midnight Sons, with Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly and/or Kaine) in the lineup, yeah, I could seriously consider buying that, especially if it kept Satana Hellstrom.

Spirits of Vengeance? Yeah, it's still going on, but only for two more issues. Now, if it were to relaunch as the All-New Midnight Sons, with Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly and/or Kaine) in the lineup, yeah, I could seriously consider buying that, especially if it kept Satana Hellstrom.
    I really like the idea of Ben and Kaine being together on a team as, essentially, the Scarlet Spider Brothers. Seeing their relationship play out within a team atmosphere would, I think, be really enjoyable. Plus, putting them in the right team book could really raise their profile. That's one reason I really dig this upcoming Midnight Sons team: it features a group of really great characters who aren't quite at the level of being able to carry a solo - or somehow barely get by for a couple years at a time - yet have so much depth and unique personalities and interesting backstories.

It will be enough to see Ben interacting with guys like Iron Fist and Moon Knight - but yeah: give me Kaine too and put him in the group!

Related sidenote: Now that C.B. Cebulski is in charge, perhaps it's likelier that we eventually see Ben and Kaine as members in a revival of the Slingers. The guy is a fan, and his use of Ricochet was probably the best part of an otherwise messy Loners title. If the sales don't keep up on the current title, I could see it being revamped as Slingers, and maybe include Spider-Girl or 2099 or someone.

More relevant: the wording of upcoming solicits make me wonder if the Slingers are sticking around indefinitely, as it talks about "old enemies" and "new friends" joining Ben in the fight against Mephisto. Could that be Kaine + the Slingers?

Having them all team-up could serve as the culmination of everything that's happened in the book this far.

-Pav, who still feels gratitude for being able to have this conversation at all...
    Last edited by Pav; 12-23-2017 at 10:52 AM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.

--------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I really like the idea of Ben and Kaine being together on a team as, essentially, the Scarlet Spider Brothers. Seeing their relationship play out within a team atmosphere would, I think, be really enjoyable. Plus, putting them in the right team book could really raise their profile. That's one reason I really dig this upcoming Midnight Sons team: it features a group of really great characters who aren't quite at the level of being able to carry a solo - or somehow barely get by for a couple years at a time - yet have so much depth and unique personalities and interesting backstories.

It will be enough to see Ben interacting with guys like Iron Fist and Moon Knight - but yeah: give me Kaine too and put him in the group!

Related sidenote: Now that C.B. Cebulski is in charge, perhaps it's likelier that we eventually see Ben and Kaine as members in a revival of the Slingers. The guy is a fan, and his use of Ricochet was probably the best part of an otherwise messy Loners title. If the sales don't keep up on the current title, I could see it being revamped as Slingers, and maybe include Spider-Girl or 2099 or someone.

More relevant: the wording of upcoming solicits make me wonder if the Slingers are sticking around indefinitely, as it talks about "old enemies" and "new friends" joining Ben in the fight against Mephisto. Could that be Kaine + the Slingers?

Having them all team-up could serve as the culmination of everything that's happened in the book this far.

-Pav, who still feels gratitude for being able to have this conversation at all...
    That would be pretty good, too, and the Slingers would have a more personal stake in the fight against Mephisto than most realize, since they got their costumes and powers from someone who manipulated them as part of a deal with Mephisto in the first place. Feel free to amend that statement if there's anything I'm recalling incorrectly.

That would be pretty good, too, and the Slingers would have a more personal stake in the fight against Mephisto than most realize, since they got their costumes and powers from someone who manipulated them as part of a deal with Mephisto in the first place. Feel free to amend that statement if there's anything I'm recalling incorrectly.
    Nope, that's right: Johnny was a mutant and Cassie believed her powers stemmed from elsewhere, but nevertheless they came together as a team due to the machinations of Black Marvel.

I'd love for PAD to give us an explanation as to why Mephisto gave BM the discarded costumes of Spider-Man to use for the Slingers.

-Pav, who wonders if Black Marvel will be a "second tier boss" working for Mephisto in DAMNATION...

--------------------