Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I always felt like they left the door open with the way he died, disintegrating like he did. Didn't seem to make sense for a "perfect clone" especially now that we saw in Grim Hunt with Kaine when he died. He didn't turn to goo/powder or whatever. Norman could have switched Ben out, we know how he liked to keep people trapped for unnecessary amounts of time (Aunt May)

Quote Originally Posted by Braun Rodman View Post
    I always felt like they left the door open with the way he died, disintegrating like he did. Didn't seem to make sense for a "perfect clone" especially now that we saw in Grim Hunt with Kaine when he died. He didn't turn to goo/powder or whatever. Norman could have switched Ben out, we know how he liked to keep people trapped for unnecessary amounts of time (Aunt May)
    I think that the disintegration was indeed supposed to mean that he was gone forever, Life of Reilly explained it so. However, they could totally resurrect him as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    If that's the case where he faced Spider Island, I wonder just what his relationship with his Kaine is like.
    Maybe they made peace. I'm guessing Kaine will probably make peace with himself and the end of Spider verse.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

As much as I like Ben Reilly, their thoughts on making him the real Spider-man instead of a clone was a bad idea ...

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    As much as I like Ben Reilly, their thoughts on making him the real Spider-man instead of a clone was a bad idea ...
    I think the thoughts of making him into Spider-Man period were misguided. Not out of any feeling of 'no one else can be Spider-Man' but in that, whether he was the real Peter or a clone, Ben had accepted himself as Ben Reilly and made an identity of his own both in hero and civilian ID. Scarlet Spider is his identity, not Spider-Man, which would only have him standing forever in Peter's shadow.

Yep a short sighted slap in the face to the fans that had been buying Spidey for years.

I really liked Ben Reilly and MUCH prefer the Real Clone Saga mini to the convoluted mess the Clone Saga became (despite the fact that I enjoyed it at the time.)

Ben was a great hard bitten, rough edged diamond that was a right for the time Spider-Man, so what he was a clone NO way married Peter with baby on the way was going to be dethroned totally it just meant Marvel had a Spider-Man that was growing up and one that was as '90s outsider as an X-Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    Very cool! The hoodie costume has always been one of my favorites!

BANNED

BANNED

In light of the wretched post-OMD direction, The Real Clone Saga is still my go-to version of events, somewhere Peter is happy and Ben is free to roam and do whatever he wishes. I wish the series, however, had dipped into his relationship with Janine Tyne, as that was a huge part of the acclaimed Lost Years and Redemption storylines. How long did she get jail time for her father's murder anyway?

All-New Member

I think both clones had interesting character potential, but writers often fail to differentiate them from Peter. They start off unique but end up making the same decisions as Peter and missing real opportunities. May as well not have all of them IMO.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Big Ben fan here, only bought Kaine's series (enjoyed it tho) hoping to see Ben

Spectacular Member

Love Ben Reilly, he's my favorite Marvel character hands down, but I never wanted him to replace Peter Parker as Spider Man. Ben is and always will be his own man and I liked him as Scarlet Spider, and would love to see him return and create another identity now that Kaine has done such a great job as the new Scarlet Spider. And I would to be opposed to Gwen Stacy Spider Woman and Ben Reilly meeting up.

Quote Originally Posted by ParamagicFF View Post
    I think both clones had interesting character potential, but writers often fail to differentiate them from Peter. They start off unique but end up making the same decisions as Peter and missing real opportunities.
    Quote Originally Posted by KonFan78 View Post
    Love Ben Reilly, he's my favorite Marvel character hands down, but I never wanted him to replace Peter Parker as Spider Man. Ben is and always will be his own man and I liked him as Scarlet Spider, and would love to see him return ... and I wouldn't be opposed to Gwen Stacy Spider Woman and Ben Reilly meeting up.
    Really great points here, and I think together they show what some writers have gotten wrong with Ben in the past and today with Kaine: because Peter Parker is so iconic and meaningful to the money-making machine, he cannot be altered; he must be kept pristine, and because Ben and Kaine are clones of Peter, it's almost like the writers are afraid to tarnish THEM too much, because they are shades of Peter Parker himself to the public, and to tarnish them is to tarnish Peter Parker. So we start with a Ben Reilly that is rough around the edges, but we end with a Ben Reilly that, despite his new name and blonde hair, acts no differently than Peter. And now we have the redemption of Kaine, who was a ruthless murderer and is now at "curmudgeonly Ben Reilly" status.

But oh. man. I hadn't thought of it before, but now I can't stop thinking about it: we need an Exiles-styled Spider-Book featuring Spider-Ben and Spider-Gwen.

And we need it yesterday.

-Pav, who keeps his Scarlet Spider action figure (with attached Carnage symbiote ax-hand) on his desk...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Ben Rielly is the bestest,most Spectacularly, Amazingest, most Superiorest Spider-man ever!!!!! We fans were robbed when they killed him. It wasnt called for, they coukd have written him out any number of ways. However, it rodent matter because this fall hes back!!!!!! WhoooHoooo!!!!!! He's finally back!! Ya Baby!!! He's gonna be swinging through NewYork and my Spider-man books again!!! Hell yes!!!! One can only hope this spawns an ongoing, the way we now have back another great Spider-man, Spider-man 2099.