Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Peter David's Supergirl Was Canceled Before It Went in a Bold New Direction

Some of you may already know this, but I thought I'd post it anyways. This IMO would've been amazing!!!!!

Such a shame it didn't happen.

https://www.cbr.com/peter-david-supe...new-direction/

According to Peter David:

"When I first embarked on the storyline, I was told by the powers-that-be that I could use Kara for six issues. That was it. Six issues, no more. I hoped to change their minds. Because I was positive the addition of Kara would bring in readers in droves. What I was hoping was that support and interest for the series would be so major, so undeniable, so impossible to ignore, that I could use it as ammo to convince the PTB to change their mind and allow me to keep the character around. If that had happened, my intention was to turn the book into, effectively, a team book. The "S" equivalent of "Birds of Prey." Linda would have been Superwoman (for want of a better name), Kara would have been officially Supergirl, and I would have brought in Power Girl to boot. The tone of the book would have been straight up fun--three super blondes getting into adventures. In my truly demented best-case scenario, I would have subtitled the book "Blonde Justice." That was my "A" plan. Unfortunately, the lack of support up front torpedoed it. Had we seen the kind of support for issue #75 that we wound up getting with issue #80, and built from there, I might have been able to pull it off. As it was, I wasn't.

That sounds infinitely better than what ended up happening. Linda has gone into limbo...and they haven't done much of anything with Kara sense they brought in the Post-Birthright version.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I really enjoyed PAD's Supergirl.
    The first couple of years in particular.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    That sounds infinitely better than what ended up happening. Linda has gone into limbo...and they haven't done much of anything with Kara sense they brought in the Post-Birthright version.
    Maybe, though the character did get back into the pop-cultural spotlight in a big way, appearing in animated films and eventually getting her six-season CW show. Not to mention the upcoming movie debut (though its a bit unclear at this point exactly which version Sasha Calle is playing).

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Maybe, though the character did get back into the pop-cultural spotlight in a big way, appearing in animated films and eventually getting her six-season CW show. Not to mention the upcoming movie debut (though its a bit unclear at this point exactly which version Sasha Calle is playing).

I'm thst is Kara ,not Linda or Karen ,so what was good for one ,was not good for the others.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Extraordinary Member

This has all been known for years, over a decade in fact. As for PG, the fact remains that he would have had to use the Atlantean version of the character, so make of that what you will. He treated her well, but also had to suffer through mandates by DC in using her that didn't do the character or the writer or fans any good service.

No he wouldn't have to use the Atlantean thing. If Kara was back by then, which means the "Clark is the last Kryptionian" edict was gone, then it must be when JSA was about to revert Karen back to her true origin.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm a big fan of PAD's Supergirl run, I'd have loved to have had it continue as a Super team book.
    PG as an Atlantean princess was always a bad fit for her, but I can see where it was probably a struggle to find a way to make her work without being allowed to let her be Kryptonian, even from Earth 2. It was a bad decision IMO to not just let her be an Earth 2 refugee all along, but editorial was pig headed about that issue.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    I'm thst is Kara ,not Linda or Karen ,so what was good for one ,was not good for the others.
    Yeah, I was just responding to the point that they didn't do much with Kara after bringing her back.

Linda Danvers really deserves better.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Tried looking it up and I wonder if it's in dev limbo. Apparently, this movie was one that had Ezra Miller. Only real news I saw was.... last year.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Tried looking it up and I wonder if it's in dev limbo. Apparently, this movie was one that had Ezra Miller. Only real news I saw was.... last year.
    It's the Flash movie, and its very much on track to release next year, despite all the controversy surrounding Ezra Miller.

Whether the Sasha Calle solo Supergirl movie, which was rumored, is happening is all up in the air right now...

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I really enjoyed PAD's Supergirl.
    The first couple of years in particular.
    Agreed. #8 and #9 will always be the first thing I think of when it comes to this series.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Astonishing Member

So many Supergirls.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    No he wouldn't have to use the Atlantean thing. If Kara was back by then, which means the "Clark is the last Kryptionian" edict was gone, then it must be when JSA was about to revert Karen back to her true origin.
    Yes, she would have to be. She had not yet been retconned back to being Kryptonian. She was still Atlantean. And for a bit after. It was a few years before she was put back into the JSA, and a couple more before the retcon restored her.