Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default Castle Full of Blackbirds #1

Written by Mike Mignola and Angela Slatter
    Art by Valeria Burzo

Like The Return of Effie Kolb, which this spun out of, this book felt flat to me. I just don't think there is enough characterization here or in the previous book to really make you care about Sara May, so it ends up feeling lifeless to me as I just don't really care what happens to her.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I'm trying to remember if I even bothered to add this to my limited "HOLD" list or not . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm trying to remember if I even bothered to add this to my limited "HOLD" list or not . . .
    Probably alright if you didn't I'm definitely skipping the rest. This is the only Mignola book other than the Visitor that I've dropped.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Yep. A character I care little about and very, very underwhelming art. The story isn't bad, but the execution isn't up to it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Issue #2 was worse than #1. The art continues to suffer and the storytelling was disjointed. It's a straightforward story of the school grooming Sara for some nefarious purpose, but they way they are going about it is lackluster at best. I don't know what it is with the Mignolaverse with these mediocre artists. They used to have such great art in the books.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

So issue #4. I forgot what was going on so was a bit confused by the conclusion. But mainly apathetic to it all. Special young woman stories have become very boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So issue #4. I forgot what was going on so was a bit confused by the conclusion. But mainly apathetic to it all. Special young woman stories have become very boring.
    I stopped after issue one so you have a stronger will than I.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I stopped after issue one so you have a stronger will than I.
    Weaker from my perspective.