Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Little Mermaid hate

https://www.cbr.com/little-mermaid-l...nts-downvotes/

Now I do feel that the comments should not have been made at all. But there was a lot of dislikes. I mean I guess the the studio wants the narrative to get buzz for the movie so I kind of get it. But the article doesn't point out the ratio of disliking the movie because it looks bad vs. not liking the movie because the lead is a POC. But if the majority of dislikes are because they think the movie is bad which maybe it is, but instead decides to concentrate on the probable minority of racist comments instead?

Incredible Member

It’s a short teaser showing a mermaid swimming. There isn’t enough shown to be able to make a decision on whether the movie will be good or bad. Anyone interested in making legitimate criticisms would wait to see more.

The only thing about it that is controversial for some people is the fact that a black woman is playing Ariel. It’s pretty obvious and we all knew it would get this response from certain people. It’s just the same crowd hating on a movie they haven’t seen. This isn’t even news anymore it’s just expected.

BANNED

I mean, come on! Of course it's crap - it's a Disney live action remake.

The fact that there's an army of man-children going around getting all worked up about "woke" media and trying to defeat it with downvotes would be of concern if it wasn't so pathetic. I mean, it's not exactly Total War, is it? Let's keep these idiots bogged down in hating on mass media produced to entertain children and ignore them.

Everybody knows real mermaids are green.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

The question would be (as with several of these types of threads popping up lately) is the criticism coming after watching the end product and judging it to be of low quality, or is it kneejerk cynicism or worse?

I'll say my own cynicism tells me to avoid all live action remakes of Disney classics, even (maybe especially) the ones I loved as a child. Doesn't mean it won't be good, just means I'll likely never see it unless forced/coerced (have friends who do the "you watch this, and I'll try that" deal with movies/TV).

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    It’s a short teaser showing a mermaid swimming. There isn’t enough shown to be able to make a decision on whether the movie will be good or bad. Anyone interested in making legitimate criticisms would wait to see more.

The only thing about it that is controversial for some people is the fact that a black woman is playing Ariel. It’s pretty obvious and we all knew it would get this response from certain people. It’s just the same crowd hating on a movie they haven’t seen. This isn’t even news anymore it’s just expected.
    Exactly this.

If you're posting a passionately negative response to this trailer then you're a racist. There is literally no other reason.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    But the article doesn't point out the ratio of disliking the movie because it looks bad vs. not liking the movie because the lead is a POC.
    Because they can't possibly know, which makes most of the assumptions made in that story useless.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Exactly this.

If you're posting a passionately negative response to this trailer then you're a racist. There is literally no other reason.
    This.

We’ve literally seen nothing from the movie except Ariel.

The people attacking it are doing so because Ariel is black.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-15-2022 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This.

We’ve literally seen nothing from the movie except Ariel.

The people attacking it are doing because Ariel is black.
    This isn't to say that one can't have a negative reaction to the film with out being a racist. It's pretty easy to tell the difference:

"I haven't liked the last few live action remakes Disney has made, so this doesn't interest me."

That's a totally legitimate and understandable reaction and doesn't paint the speaker in a negative light.

Variations of, "#getwokegobroke" or "Disney just ruined/raped my childhood" though?

Yeah, with only a tiny teaser released it's pretty obvious that the actor's race is the issue...which is racism.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This isn't to say that one can't have a negative reaction to the film with out being a racist. It's pretty easy to tell the difference:

"I haven't liked the last few live action remakes Disney has made, so this doesn't interest me."

That's a totally legitimate and understandable reaction and doesn't paint the speaker in a negative light.

Variations of, "#getwokegobroke" or "Disney just ruined/raped my childhood" though?

Yeah, with only a tiny teaser released it's pretty obvious that the actor's race is the issue...which is racism.
    Yes, there are some people that just hate Disney live-action remakes (I haven’t watched a single one of them) and that’s understandable. It’s the comments as you pointed out that confirms their racism.

I mean, there’s been attacks on this film for a while now because of Halle Bailey’s casting (Rob Marshall picked her out not because of her race but because of her talent as she and her sister are already successful musicians).There are comments by some women about how they can “no longer identify” with Ariel and there were some dumb videos about Ariel suggesting she should be fairer skinned because she lives deep in the ocean. It was so bad that someone had to come out and debunk that ridiculous theory. All this rooted in some pretty hardcore racism even if the people saying it don’t realize it.

Worse still, a lot of people are suggesting that mermaids are of “European origin”. That’s even more silly because mermaids exist in every culture.

Point is, the folks that are attacking this movie based on that teaser are fueled by racism and inner biases. Seriously, it wasn’t even a full trailer and we don’t know how good or bad the movie looks. Also, why should grown ass men be triggered by the Little Mermaid?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Everybody knows real mermaids are green.
    And gleefully lured mariners to an untimely demise (depending on which tales you follow).

Astonishing Member

With a few exceptions, most of the live action remakes have been... I wouldn't say crap. More like soulless. I haven't seen enough to determine whether this bucks the trend (I hope it does). But for now I am erring on the side of caution.

And the poor girl playing Ariel, Halle Bailey, I've seen a few media outlets getting her mixed up with Halle Berry.

Niffleheim

At this point I'm kind of numb to all this nonsense. Disney's manipulation is working by racebending the princess - look at all the discussion? it's free marketing for this movie and it is the best emotional bait for the"left" to feel geared to support it and the right to serve it as content in their culture wars. I'd much rather they take an African folklore and made an animated or a live action movie but they always go the lazy route of reskinning a western folklore to rejuvenate their stale IPs.

Now we have the right using SCIENCE for crying out loud lmao! to be against the racebending while the left claiming this isn't a western folklore. From an outsider's perspective all this looks silly.
    Last edited by Tofali; 09-15-2022 at 07:15 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    At this point I'm kind of numb to all this nonsense. Disney's manipulation is working by racebending the princess - look at all the discussion? it's free marketing for this movie and it is the best emotional bait for the"left" to feel geared to support it and the right to serve it as content in their culture wars. I'd much rather they take an African folklore and made an animated or a live action movie but they always go the lazy route of reskinning a western folklore to rejuvenate their stale IPs.

Now we have the right using SCIENCE for crying out loud lmao! to be against the racebending while the left claiming this isn't a western folklore. From an outsider's perspective all this looks silly.
    I think you mean, " and for the racists, fuel for their culture wars". The "Culture-war" is a purely racist issue that has little to nothing to do with political ideology.