Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Results 256 to 265 of 265
  1. #256
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    And Disney just edited out a 15 second gay kiss for it's foreign markets.

    Also how is Kelly Marie Tran's career going post Star Wars....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Marie_Tran

    Oh...not very good. It's very clear that everyone is against racism in the marketing and promotion phases of these films. They just get real quiet after the films have been released. Nobody asks why these corporations keep doing these things and get away without having to face any consequences.
    Consequences for what? Daring to cast a non white actor?

    Do you have a point besides "What about Disney bad?"

  2. #257
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    And are you changing their opinions? Not having a dig, but an honest question here. Because they are just getting more vocal despite more people pushing against them.
    Why do you assume Iím trying to change the racists? If some racist has a change of heart and realizes how stupid they are and decides to make a change for the better then great but Iím not expecting that to happen.

    I believe racism should be called out when you see it. It shouldnít be given a free pass which is what ignoring it would do.

  3. #258
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Why do you assume I’m trying to change the racists? If some racist has a change of heart and realizes how stupid they are and decides to make a change for the better then great but I’m not expecting that to happen.

    I believe racism should be called out when you see it. It shouldn’t be given a free pass which is what ignoring it would do.
    It should be called out, I agree. But all I see is both sides arguing to the death and they aren't changing any all it. Being a civil, decent human being yourself in every day life does that. But individuals on either side of the argument believe they can beat the other into submission and you can't.

    You'd have thought society would have made progress with Malcolm X or Martin Luther king and yet racism is just as rampant today in American society as it was then. The difference now is that they aren't limited to white bedsheets and their reach is wider due to social media.

  4. #259
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    If you were at an elementary school play and they were doing Cinderella and they had an African American girl playing Cinderella and some of the white parents started rumbling about Cinderella being white. Would you A keep quiet because you're not going to change their opinions anyway? or B tell them to STFU and let the little girl have her night?
    We don't have elementary here in Australia. But if they did, and I heard that, I'd tap them on the shoulder, tell them it is not appropriate and to allow others to enjoy the show without their commentary. But we are more multicultural diverse country. We still have issues pertaining to past treatment of indigenous peoples, but we are rectifying our constitution to give them more of a voice.

    You have to be smarter in how you combat them.

    POC kids are watching this trailer and are seeing the comments it's demoralizing for them to read what some people think and without pushback it would give the idea that it's mainstream.
    They are seeing people engaging in a vicious back and forth. Know what comments they should be seeing? Supportive ones. Encouraging ones. Ones that focus on the film in a positive light. Hate just breeds more hate.

    When confronting Racism, Homophobia, Xenophobia, Misogyny, and bigotry in all its forms if you can change minds that's fantastic and the best outcome. But if you can't then it's about letting them know their day is past, they're dinosaurs and this is their extinction event, and they can whine, cry, yell, and scream all they want but it's happening their way of life has no future.
    Society is going to change regardless. The world keeps turning. Those people will either be swept along in the wake or be left to drown.

    You say not saying anything is bad and you are right. But, on the other hand, constantly engaging racists and highlighting them is just as bad because it continually gives them a platform. You may get the odd person who'll change their views and that's great. But the majority won't because it's so ingrained in them it's in their DNA almost.

  5. #260
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    It should be called out, I agree. But all I see is both sides arguing to the death and they aren't changing any all it. Being a civil, decent human being yourself in every day life does that. But individuals on either side of the argument believe they can beat the other into submission and you can't.

    You'd have thought society would have made progress with Malcolm X or Martin Luther king and yet racism is just as rampant today in American society as it was then. The difference now is that they aren't limited to white bedsheets and their reach is wider due to social media.
    You are contradicting yourself. You agree that it should be called out but then you donít want to engage them because it gives them what they want. Which is it?

    ďEvil triumphs when good men do nothing.Ē

    Simply being a good person wonít change things for the better. That requires action from people like the two gentlemen you mentioned. It may be a never ending battle but thatís not a reason to give up.

  6. #261
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    You are contradicting yourself. You agree that it should be called out but then you don’t want to engage them because it gives them what they want. Which is it?

    “Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.”

    Simply being a good person won’t change things for the better. That requires action from people like the two gentlemen you mentioned. It may be a never ending battle but that’s not a reason to give up.
    I call it out and leave it at that. I don't engage in a long running argument with them because it just keeps going in a circle. And the time people spend arguing with them is time they can use by going out and making change in the real world. That's why it never changes because it's a war being fought online.

    Halle Bailey got the gig not because of her skin colour. Yet both sides are using that as the basis for their comments. It's a disingenuous to her when it's her talent that got her the role over the (likey) thousands of actresses out there.

    Want to know how you stick it to racists? Go out and make the film a success. Watch it as many times as you need to do so. Once they see the end result, they won't have a leg to stand on. That's part of their argument in that they believe it will fail due to her skin colour and it's because she is poc they won't watch it.

    The latter you can't change. The former? Absolutely you can influence.

    There is always a smarter way without trying to fight them at their own game.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 09-24-2022 at 12:56 AM.

  7. #262
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    And are you changing their opinions? Not having a dig, but an honest question here. Because they are just getting more vocal despite more people pushing against them.
    They are doing MORE than being vocal.

    Some are getting organized and attacking folks.

    Some are issuing death threats. Ask Heather Antos, Redjack, Gabby Rivera and other about that.

    Some are calling the employers and demanding folks to be fired. See Larry Hama at IDW.

    Some are going into stores and REMOVING products.

    Some who are in charge of hiring are gatekeeping folks out of jobs.

    Some are review bombing shows and movies before they come out.

    Some are tossing as much FALSE information as they can.

    Some who are in charge of what gets ordered in a store are keeping stuff off the shelves.

    Some are getting stuff right out BANNED. See the book banning movement going on NOW. With many books being BANNED in schools because the lead in the book is NOT a straight white Christian male or female.

    900 books in Texas alone that are banned in school.

    https://www.cbr.com/jerry-craft-new-...ales-increase/
    Jerry Craft's New Kid a book about a black boy at his white school. The bold got it banned on the grounds it attacks white kids and promotes CRT.

    Oh lets not forget there are some folks KILLING in the name of racism.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gr...ars/ar-AAXkOen

    And YES there were folks READY to turn Star Wars The Force Awakens and Fantastic Four into shooting galleries of black actors.

  8. #263
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post

    Want to know how you stick it to racists? Go out and make the film a success. Watch it as many times as you need to do so. Once they see the end result, they won't have a leg to stand on. That's part of their argument in that they believe it will fail due to her skin colour and it's because she is poc they won't watch it.
    That does NOT stop them.

    It just riles they up even MORE.

    Because they will dismiss that as Obama or Disney buying all the tickets to inflate box office or some other silly excuse.

    Ghostbusters somewhat broke even and they STILL went after Leslie Jones-the black one and the one who pretty much did NOT say anything unlike Melissia McCarthy-who saw ZERO attacks on any of her projects after that movie.

    They will dismiss whatever success. We see it all the time in comics where some excuse is tossed out.

    John Stewart a lead in Justice League cartoon-"oh that doesn't bring in new readers! That show does not matter!"
    Deathstroke GUEST stars on Green Arrow-"oh that will bring more attention to him and boost sales!"

    Green Lantern movie bombs-"Can't hold it against Hal Jordan-it doesn't mean folks are NOT interested in him"
    Naomi on CW-"that PROVES nobody wants is interested in HER-the show failed."

    Booster Gold & Ted Kord's mini does not sell well "oh that proves YALL don't know about QUALITY."
    Batman & Signal, I am Batman, Far Sector, Nubia and so on. "that proves black folks are unable to read. And DC is NOT a charity and needs to stop making those books!"

    Now take Naomi, Far Sector, Batman & Signal and others-whose books become TRADES and LOL outsell 90% of DC books-we hear "Trade sales don't help comic book stores!"
    Don't comic book stores SELL trades?

    There is ALWAYS an excuse with them. Instead of admitting they were WRONG.

  9. #264
    Incredible Member Maestro 216's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That does NOT stop them.

    It just riles they up even MORE.

    Because they will dismiss that as Obama or Disney buying all the tickets to inflate box office or some other silly excuse.

    Ghostbusters somewhat broke even and they STILL went after Leslie Jones-the black one and the one who pretty much did NOT say anything unlike Melissia McCarthy-who saw ZERO attacks on any of her projects after that movie.

    They will dismiss whatever success. We see it all the time in comics where some excuse is tossed out.

    John Stewart a lead in Justice League cartoon-"oh that doesn't bring in new readers! That show does not matter!"
    Deathstroke GUEST stars on Green Arrow-"oh that will bring more attention to him and boost sales!"

    Green Lantern movie bombs-"Can't hold it against Hal Jordan-it doesn't mean folks are NOT interested in him"
    Naomi on CW-"that PROVES nobody wants is interested in HER-the show failed."

    Booster Gold & Ted Kord's mini does not sell well "oh that proves YALL don't know about QUALITY."
    Batman & Signal, I am Batman, Far Sector, Nubia and so on. "that proves black folks are unable to read. And DC is NOT a charity and needs to stop making those books!"

    Now take Naomi, Far Sector, Batman & Signal and others-whose books become TRADES and LOL outsell 90% of DC books-we hear "Trade sales don't help comic book stores!"
    Don't comic book stores SELL trades?

    There is ALWAYS an excuse with them. Instead of admitting they were WRONG.
    That means ignoring them entirely. There only so much people can do without resorting go law enforcement.

  10. #265
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That does NOT stop them.

    It just riles they up even MORE.

    Because they will dismiss that as Obama or Disney buying all the tickets to inflate box office or some other silly excuse.

    Ghostbusters somewhat broke even and they STILL went after Leslie Jones-the black one and the one who pretty much did NOT say anything unlike Melissia McCarthy-who saw ZERO attacks on any of her projects after that movie.

    They will dismiss whatever success. We see it all the time in comics where some excuse is tossed out.

    John Stewart a lead in Justice League cartoon-"oh that doesn't bring in new readers! That show does not matter!"
    Deathstroke GUEST stars on Green Arrow-"oh that will bring more attention to him and boost sales!"

    Green Lantern movie bombs-"Can't hold it against Hal Jordan-it doesn't mean folks are NOT interested in him"
    Naomi on CW-"that PROVES nobody wants is interested in HER-the show failed."

    Booster Gold & Ted Kord's mini does not sell well "oh that proves YALL don't know about QUALITY."
    Batman & Signal, I am Batman, Far Sector, Nubia and so on. "that proves black folks are unable to read. And DC is NOT a charity and needs to stop making those books!"

    Now take Naomi, Far Sector, Batman & Signal and others-whose books become TRADES and LOL outsell 90% of DC books-we hear "Trade sales don't help comic book stores!"
    Don't comic book stores SELL trades?

    There is ALWAYS an excuse with them. Instead of admitting they were WRONG.
    Why would Disney buy all the tickets? They make no money that way and I doubt Obama would buy them all up. But, it wouldn't surprise me the excuses they'll use.

    What would you like people to do? Go to war in the streets and literally beat the racists senseless? As enticing as that may be, it won't solve the problem. Keeps going the way it is and people beating each other in the streets is the only way it is going to end up. Hate and violence just breeds more hate and violence.

    Look, people will handle racism in their own ways. I just don't see constantly engaging them as productive because that is what they want. They want you to get riled up. They want to get under your skin. When you engage them, you give them attention and, once they know they can push your buttons, they'll do it more and more.

    That's why I say my piece and leave it at that if I hear a racist comment or joke. I tell the individual it makes me uncomfortable and that it is in poor taste. Usually they'll tell me to mind my own business or keep trying to provoke me, but why give them that satisfaction? I know I am a decent person at the end of the day and I treat those from different ethnicities with the respect and dignity I'd hope they'd treat me.

    People shouldn't waste time fighting them online. Address the inequality in the real world. Own a business? Hire more ethnicities. If you are a teacher? Educate kids on racism. See a minority owned business? Shop there. See a movie with minorities? Watch it. Support charities that help minority groups.

    All little things we can do and it doesn't involve fighting or empowering a racist.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •