Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I know that everyone might not be kicking around over there?

There were absolutely complaints being lodged over in the "X..." sub-forum.

Heck, "Complaints..." is putting it pretty lightly.
    True.

I was talking about the "keep politics out of my entertainment" crowd.

Primarily the "political commentators" that have decided to wade into pop culture and entertainment.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    It always amazes me how some defend racism tooth and nail, yet still absolutely refuse to actually call it racism.
    Exactly.

This is the part of the discussion that a lot of people find grating.

People are fighting hard to defend racism and get offended when said arguments are called racist.

Some people really and I mean REALLY need to confront their personal biases. Seriously, it's so bad nowadays that people are getting offended that black people and POC are playing entirely fictional races.That's pretty messed up on so many levels.

https://us.yahoo.com/entertainment/r...142519686.html

You know it's bad when even the yahoo news section comments (which is notoriously right-wing) point out bizarre the entire thing is.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-15-2022 at 05:25 PM.

Give her a red wig, then I'll only complain about Disney milking their big hits into live (or "live" for Lion King) action.

Her hair is pretty red, it's just not cartoonishly so.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

It always amazes me how some defend racism tooth and nail, yet still absolutely refuse to actually call it racism.
    People defend White Supermacy while saying they aren't racist they have black "friends" people can be full of contradictions.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Prince Tuma and Naveen would like to have words with you, kind sir.
    Jasmine as well. The Princess and the Frog?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Would he? Considering there are actual WHITE Africans out there.

So if Wakanda was near South African where 4.3 million of them are-you COULD get away with it.
    Along with educating folks about white Africans like Charlize Theron.

Now would you have the impact and billion dollar box office Boseman bought? Probably NOT.

Now your point is "source material"

What movie has EVER done that? None. No movie has followed the source material. NONE.
    And if we were to PULL back the magic curtain behind some of our favorite shows and movies-we would be shocked at who was suppose to be what.

Batman 89 had a BLACK Harvey Dent
    The Bratz movie made Dylan a white guy despite ALL his figures being BLACK
    The Famous Jett Jackson, Secret World of Alex Mack & Journey of Allen Strange were slated to have WHITE male leads not the late Lee Thompson Young, Larisa Oleynik or Arjay Smith.
    Star Trek-Laforge, Sisko, Jake, Torres and others were NOT slated to be played by POC.
    Men in Black- there was no black guy in the comic.
    What's Happening-Rerun was suppose to be a WHITE boy not a fat black one.
    Jurassic Park-the boy did more in the book than the girl-who did more in the movie.

The concern everyone is having is why is it an ISSUE with a POC gets these roles and yet SILENCE when it's the other way around.

We forget a LOT of this stuff was made at times where POC could NOT be in this stuff or even be leads because certain demographics had to be pandered to.

Now to be honest there is NOTHING really stopping Disney from doing another version of Little Mermaid set in another part of the world.

There are variants of all these stories told in other countries.
    To say there is no film that followed the source material is a mistake. The Prince Of Tides was incredibly faithful. In fact, Streisand ensured it was. The only difference is the film downplays a few of the threads from the novel (they are mentioned and alluded to though). In that case you had the author of the novel (Pat Conroy) handle the screenplay/script. So they just tweaked their own work in adapting it.

On the whole though it is one of the better examples of a film sticking to the source material.

Astonishing Member

Saw this doing the rounds on social media today. Bit of fuel on that there fire.

306742638_9898337276850437_4783653252007388802_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Holy hell these comments. "If you don't like it, then you must be racist!"

What's wrong with people wanting the characters to resemble the source material?

Instead of making rehash after rehash, why not create something original if you want a new type of hero?
    Oh, for gawds sake, a few seconds of a mermaid swimming. "It sucks. I hate it. It's bad and I won't watch it".

What other explanation is there? Resemble the source material? So, the issue is that the hair color is different in that few seconds of video? That's the lack of resemblance to the source material that's the cause of all this hate, right?

Of course it's because she's black. Unless you seriously believe it's because her hair ain't red. But I don't see any complaints about that.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Her hair is pretty red, it's just not cartoonishly so.
    Deal.

Now back to ranting about remaking Disney films.

I would love to see how this logic applies if they casted someone like Ryan Gosling for a Tupac Shakur Movie
    You mean, if they cast a white actor as an actual real life black person as opposed to as fictional character? That's your "logic"? I think most people would say it was stupid, just as stupid as casting Samuel L. Jackson as Paul McCartney.

Even if it was another fictional character, it still comes down to representation. Do you really believe that white characters appearances in movies is anything but the overwhelming majority?

Fine, then cast Goslin as T'challa.

He'd be laughed at or people would be complaining non stop. If something is brought to the live screen, many would like to see the closest thing to the source material
    Ah, but with T'Challa, it's rather hard to pretend that being black is not integral to the character. With the little mermaid, it's not integral.

Now, you might instead have used, as an example, the MCU Sam Wilson. Until the streaming series, his race was irrelevant. But then, you get into the fact that the overwhelming, and I do mean overwhelming, majority of movie characters are already white. I suppose, as a token, they could cast a white guy as an originally black character just to say, "See, we did it". But it wouldn't stop the complaints from people who either don't see the disparity or who see it very clearly, whether they acknowledge it or not, and want it to stay that way.

If it's just: Don't do remakes at all. Make new movies with characters of other races represented, that's fine.

Holy hell these comments. "If you don't like it, then you must be racist!"

What's wrong with people wanting the characters to resemble the source material?

Instead of making rehash after rehash, why not create something original if you want a new type of hero?
    The 1989 didn't care about the source material. Why should this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Interestingly, we just saw the New Mutants movie white-wash Roberto DaCosta.

No complaints at all complaining about "faithfulness to the source materials".

Yeah...
    Hell, Matt Reeves' Batman had a white actor playing a character who is black in the comics and this has largely gone unnoticed.

Yeah I don’t get that - At least be proud of who you are. You get whole web forums of guys egging each other on to “SWAT” (the 21st Century equivalent of a burning cross on your lawn) minority actors who dared to appear in genre fiction and even they won’t use the R word to describe their beliefs. It is always about a sudden, almost religious concern for fidelity to the holy source material - which “wokism” by its very evil nature seems to destroy.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 09-16-2022 at 12:12 AM.