Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Well, there had to be changes in the live-action Aladdin, because there is no way they could have straight copied what Robin Williams brought to the animated film.

As for the hate this film is getting- yeah, it's ri-goddamn-diculous. And sadly it's completely expected. But any negative feelings I may have had went away when I saw the reaction videos to the trailers, and all of those little black girls so excited to see someone who looked like them on screen.
    At last, little black girls can imagine what it would be like to be born into an unaccountable, hereditary elite.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    At last, little black girls can imagine what it would be like to be born into an unaccountable, hereditary elite.
    Yeah, kind of what I'm feeling with House of the Dragon right now. The story is screaming out "Love Rhaenyra, #NewKhaleesi!", but I'm not giving a single f##k about her or anyone else on that show. It's like rooting for Ivanka Trump. So she controls dragons? Great, and lords that power over everyone who didn't inherit the ability to do so (which is everyone not of her bloodline, and few enough of those). She's a princess? So she earned nothing but lives a life of extreme privilege.

But people love a shortcut. Look at "influencer" culture and the sustained relevancy of the Kardashians and the like. Princesses are just the OG version of the Trumps/Kardashians. Real feel-good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I never said they made changes to my liking. But they did make changes that I still felt were interesting.

And if you go to the very first page you'll see I said I'd check it out, but based on the track record with the live action remakes I didn't have high hopes for it. Right there if you wish to go and look.

But, being burned more times with these remakes than not, I err on the side of caution.
    If you’ve never liked a single Disney remake, why do you keep torturing yourself? Have you tried just ignoring them?

And when did "err on the side of caution" come to mean "I'm going to watch this movie with a predetermined mindset that I won't like it"?
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 09-19-2022 at 09:14 AM.

Ultimate Member

We all knew it was going to get hate. So that shouldn't come as a surprise. It is coming from the same exact camps too. Pay them no heed. They weren't likely going to watch this anyway. Just make a lot of noise because they can and they like the sounds of their own voice.
    It's hard to do that as George Takei shared on Facebook-a post by someone who made a very important point.

Who are these folks throwing fits? What are their jobs? How many HIRE folks? How many order comic books to be in their store or any product to be in their stores. Even where they are placed?

If they got this much of an issue with a black Mermaid or Storm Trooper or Duke Thomas doing ONE panel cameos in Batman-what do you think they are doing in the real world?

Who are they NOT hiring based on race?

Are they the ones NOT ordering POC lead books because they do not want them in their stores (versus those book just don't sell in that region)?

Are they keeping certain stuff off the sale floor? Because they don't like who is on the cover?

Are they charging more for a black Barbie versus the white one (and yes this happens way too much)

Are they flunking black kids in school faster than white ones?

What are they doing in the REAL world to cause issues that might go unnoticed?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It's hard to do that as George Takei shared on Facebook-a post by someone who made a very important point.

Who are these folks throwing fits? What are their jobs? How many HIRE folks? How many order comic books to be in their store or any product to be in their stores. Even where they are placed?

If they got this much of an issue with a black Mermaid or Storm Trooper or Duke Thomas doing ONE panel cameos in Batman-what do you think they are doing in the real world?

Are they the ones NOT ordering POC lead books because they do not want them in their stores (versus those book just don't sell in that region)?

Are they keeping certain stuff off the sale floor? Because they don't like who is on the cover?

Are they charging more for a black Barbie versus the white one (and yes this happens way too much)

That's precisely what I mentioned before too.

A lot of folks complaining about the race of the character here (and generally complaining about diversity casting) will probably never hire BIPOC for anything.

The anonymity of the internet actually provides a window into stuff that's actually happening that we don't see.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    If you’ve never liked a single Disney remake, why do you keep torturing yourself? Have you tried just ignoring them?

And when did "err on the side of caution" come to mean "I'm going to watch this movie with a predetermined mindset that I won't like it"?
    You assume I didn't like any of them.

I go in with the mindset of having been burned before, but am open to being surprised.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 09-19-2022 at 07:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

They are everywhere. Even your next door neighbour might be one of those people. The internet just emboldened them's to say stuff they wouldn't in real life. You'll go nuts trying to find them because they don't fly a banner.

In schools you can question grades and, unless they own their own store, they'll sell whatever makes money. True, they can "try" to influence people not to buy something because of who is on the cover. At the end of the day they just beat their chest, shout and throw tantrums. Especially those complaining about this film.

A majority of them were never going to watch it anyway.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 09-19-2022 at 07:49 PM.

You assume I didn't like any of them.

I go in with the mindset of having been burned before, but am open to being surprised.
    Lol. You’re going back and forth for no reason. You said some of them made interesting changes. I mentioned “oh so you liked some of them“. Then you said “that didn’t mean I liked them”.

Lol. At this point. I just want you to watch the Little Mermaid and be 100% utterly disappointed so you at least can have some satisfaction by “being right.”
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 09-19-2022 at 09:20 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Lol. You’re going back and forth for no reason. You said some of them made interesting changes. I mentioned “oh so you liked some of them“. Then you said “that didn’t mean I liked them”.

Lol. At this point. I just want you to watch the Little Mermaid and be 100% utterly disappointed so you at least can have some satisfaction by “being right.”
    You asked if I liked the changes. I never said I liked the changes. I said I found them interesting. As for which of the remakes I did enjoy? Jungle Book, Pete's Dragon and, to a certain extent, Maleficent.

That's not it at all. Who sets out to be right? You have valid points, I have valid points. Doesn't mean one overrides the other.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 09-19-2022 at 09:50 PM.

Astonishing Member

I never paid much attention but was there a lot of backlash when Zendaya played MJ in the Spider-Man trilogy?

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I never paid much attention but was there a lot of backlash when Zendaya played MJ in the Spider-Man trilogy?
    Not sure if serious but, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Some rumblings but they dodge the bullet by making her "Michelle" in the film heck I thought she was maybe Michele Gonzales until seeing the film. Given how much certain people have been screaming "woke" at the top of their lungs anytime the MCU does something the last few years it was amazing Spider-Man Homecoming got as little blowback as it got given, they race swapped "MJ", Flash, and Liz to better reflect a Queens High School today. Truth, they got more complaints for "Hottie" Aunt May, No Uncle Ben, and Peter being "Iron Boy".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Some rumblings but they dodge the bullet by making her "Michelle" in the film heck I thought she was maybe Michele Gonzales until seeing the film. Given how much certain people have been screaming "woke" at the top of their lungs anytime the MCU does something the last few years it was amazing Spider-Man Homecoming got as little blowback as it got given, they race swapped "MJ", Flash, and Liz to better reflect a Queens High School today. Truth, they got more complaints for "Hottie" Aunt May, No Uncle Ben, and Peter being "Iron Boy".
    Yeah, honestly echo all of these and add that Flash was the least intimidating bully I've ever seen. In order 1. Uncle Ben is his entire motivating factor. Without him he's not really Spider-man. 2. Shouldn't want to bang Aunt May, should want to be embarrassed to turn down whatever the f##k "wheatcakes" are before shoveling them down your gullet and being told you're "such a sweet young man". 3. Spider-Man is bigger than Iron Man, Disney IP tentpole or Sony. If you wanted Tony to be a mentor, choose Ironheart or someone you're going to own long-term to carry the torch. Someone who need the rub from RDJr.

Mighty Member

The funny thing about this is...this would have slipped right underneath my radar if it wasn't for the hate spewed online (I mean I didn't exactly pay attention to any of the other Disney live action remakes either). Granted, myself being an adult male has no dog in this fight in this movie, but apparently there are a bunch of adult males who DO care about a princess movie. This is interesting as they aren't going to alter the Disney Princess line for it at all, so I really don't see the reason to get up in arms (do you REALLY think the Mouse will pay indefinitely to use an actress' likeness? Look at "Enchanted"!).

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Yeah, honestly echo all of these and add that Flash was the least intimidating bully I've ever seen. In order 1. Uncle Ben is his entire motivating factor. Without him he's not really Spider-man. 2. Shouldn't want to bang Aunt May, should want to be embarrassed to turn down whatever the f##k "wheatcakes" are before shoveling them down your gullet and being told you're "such a sweet young man". 3. Spider-Man is bigger than Iron Man, Disney IP tentpole or Sony. If you wanted Tony to be a mentor, choose Ironheart or someone you're going to own long-term to carry the torch. Someone who need the rub from RDJr.
    If anything...the race changes to some characters were actually the smallest changes to the supporting cast in MCU Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 09-20-2022 at 05:01 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    The funny thing about this is...this would have slipped right underneath my radar if it wasn't for the hate spewed online (I mean I didn't exactly pay attention to any of the other Disney live action remakes either). Granted, myself being an adult male has no dog in this fight in this movie, but apparently there are a bunch of adult males who DO care about a princess movie. This is interesting as they aren't going to alter the Disney Princess line for it at all, so I really don't see the reason to get up in arms (do you REALLY think the Mouse will pay indefinitely to use an actress' likeness? Look at "Enchanted"!).
    That's the hilarious thing, I'm sure most adult males don't even care about this movie.

I've never even watched a Disney live-action remake because I don't think I'm the target audience (my kids watch them and have no problem with them).

I can say that most adults (except some really strange people) don't really have problems with these sorts of changes. People are just using this to make money.