Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    If you’ve never liked a single Disney remake, why do you keep torturing yourself? Have you tried just ignoring them?

And when did "err on the side of caution" come to mean "I'm going to watch this movie with a predetermined mindset that I won't like it"?
    Because it's a monopoly that is weaponizing race and it's end goal is to put out mediocre product and stifle art. Companies and governments do this on purpose. What Disney is doing is jacking up prices
    https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/10/2...-ads-streaming

and then changing the subject matter. They don't have to put black people in every remake because it makes sense for the role...it's a shield and cover for what they are really doing. Putting out bad and average content that if scrutinized you can sit back and call your critics racist. The same company that refuses to have homosexuals in it's film because of international markets can bait people and say...hey look at all these racist white guys picking on this black little mermaid. Just ignore the fact that our company is deliberately manipulating art to serve our economic goals isn't it great that we are doing the same thing over and over again. Yeah our actors are being put out there to be harassed and in many cases they'll never work again because god knows we aren't going to hire them. But you are a good person because you stood against racism and just ignore all the horrible stuff we are still doing.

Mighty Member

Is it really weaponizing race when the only thing the actors do is… exist? Like they don’t grandstand on a podium or give pats on the back or anything they just got to show up. If people are that fickle than they deserve to be ridiculed.

Astonishing Member

I can only pity virulent racists right now. The Woman King is currently the biggest Black Panther 2 preview ever while the 2 pictures have actually nothing to do with each other IPwise and they will party separately for 2 different studios.

By the time Little Mermaid opens, those trolls will have gone though winter.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Is it really weaponizing race when the only thing the actors do is… exist? Like they don’t grandstand on a podium or give pats on the back or anything they just got to show up. If people are that fickle than they deserve to be ridiculed.
    Is it the actors or is it the corporation and it's marketing. Also how many times over how many years before we hold Disney accountable. This is a corporation that markets one thing (casting) but then behind closed doors we see them editing films for other markets and ripping off female leads. But then hey the next race swap comes along and look at how racist white people. Also ignore what happens to those actors that Disney uses the same company that has created a monopoly and limited movies that can actually get released.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    Is it the actors or is it the corporation and it's marketing. Also how many times over how many years before we hold Disney accountable. This is a corporation that markets one thing (casting) but then behind closed doors we see them editing films for other markets and ripping off female leads. But then hey the next race swap comes along and look at how racist white people. Also ignore what happens to those actors that Disney uses the same company that has created a monopoly and limited movies that can actually get released.
    1. How is Disney a monopoly? Other studios exist.

2. Hold them accountable for what? Being a business that exists to make money? What are they doing that other studios don’t do?

It can't be healthy to hate an entertainment company that much lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    It's not the actors or the corporation or the marketing. It's the hate filled bigots. No amount of whataboutism for Disney hate is going to change that.

Number 1: As pointed out Disney isn't a monopoly given there is other Studios and even other film Industries worldwide.

2: Disney is awful they thanked a Chinese Providence they filmed Mulan in that has a Concentration Camp in it. While I'm at it Apple and Amazon are also awful. Western Society is completely self absorbed rarely do we comment when these companies commit multiple sins around the world that result in real human suffering.

I mean you have to admit it's special kind of petty to decry these corporations over race swapping and added LGBTQ content yet stay silent on the previous mentioned awfulness.

Hating Disney is fine hating Disney over having a Black Little Mermaid or women and POCs in the MCU and SW isn't especially if you think Disney is making white people "look bad" because they're holding up a mirror to their actions. Don't want to look bad? Easy don't be that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    At last, little black girls can imagine what it would be like to be born into an unaccountable, hereditary elite.
    This take is so cold, fires of hell couldn't melt it.

Disney is Disney, Amazon is Amazon and Microsoft is Microsoft. They are all business and all focused on making money for them and their shareholders. For Disney it is just the lazy way they have gone about doing it. The Little Mermaid is gonna make money, with the reaction videos of little girls eyes lighting up watching the trailer that only really gives a small look at the main character there is no doubt that this will be a success. But its just lazy, instead of making a new IP with a black lead they carbon copy an existing one that they really don't need to have a creative team, come up with new songs, characters, or story. The new Black princess is a hand-me-down with little to no effort put into its creation its sad really.

I remember going to the story one day and there was two black children sitting in a shopping cart belting out "Let it Go" as loud and proud as they could. My niece by marriage (who is white) loves "we don't talk about Bruno". Point being kids don't care about old IPs and enjoy it if it is done well, why not put the effort and the money in for a new black lead rather then by lazy and rehash old ones. That and I'm just not a fan of all of these remakes, With todays streaming and technology its easy to just watch the original. Also, Disney has stated that they are not changing the look of the Little Mermaid at the parks and such. How would that same little girl who look in awe at the trailer feel if she were to go to Disney World and see that Little Mermaid that doesn't look like her.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

If people really are worried about them creating new POC characters, then I hope you check out Disney's Iwájú. It's a new animated series based in a futuristic Lagos, Nigeria.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Disney is Disney, Amazon is Amazon and Microsoft is Microsoft. They are all business and all focused on making money for them and their shareholders. For Disney it is just the lazy way they have gone about doing it. The Little Mermaid is gonna make money, with the reaction videos of little girls eyes lighting up watching the trailer that only really gives a small look at the main character there is no doubt that this will be a success. But its just lazy, instead of making a new IP with a black lead they carbon copy an existing one that they really don't need to have a creative team, come up with new songs, characters, or story. The new Black princess is a hand-me-down with little to no effort put into its creation its sad really.
    And yet, people still find value in it and enjoy it, i.e. the reaction videos of little girls eyes lighting up. It's almost as if this is for kids and not cynical adults.

I remember going to the story one day and there was two black children sitting in a shopping cart belting out "Let it Go" as loud and proud as they could. My niece by marriage (who is white) loves "we don't talk about Bruno". Point being kids don't care about old IPs and enjoy it if it is done well, why not put the effort and the money in for a new black lead rather then by lazy and rehash old ones.
    Unless you've made a statistical sample on kids views of new vs. old IP, nothing you've said supports your conclusion.

That and I'm just not a fan of all of these remakes, With todays streaming and technology its easy to just watch the original.
    These movies are not meant for you and that's okay. With streaming you can still watch your favorite, while others can watch their favorite.

Also, Disney has stated that they are not changing the look of the Little Mermaid at the parks and such. How would that same little girl who look in awe at the trailer feel if she were to go to Disney World and see that Little Mermaid that doesn't look like her.
    The number of kids who go to the theme parks is a fraction of the number of kids who will see the movie. And kids are more intelligent than you assume. They can understand the difference between the different versions of Batman, Spider-Man, and Live Actions Disney vs. Animated Disney.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This take is so cold, fires of hell couldn't melt it.
    I agreed with his point, but understand if someone doesn't. Never saw anything worth admiring or emulating about hereditary elites. But curious if you're saying it's a cold take in that it's a "so obvious it never need be said" (which I'd sort of disagree with, because at least in Disney's case the Princess trope is still pretty common and beloved) or if you disagree so much that it's hard to bridge the gap to even argue with it? I think of "hot takes" as controversial traditionally, so a super-cold one would seem to be the complete opposite of that (universally agreed upon).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    And yet, people still find value in it and enjoy it, i.e. the reaction videos of little girls eyes lighting up. It's almost as if this is for kids and not cynical adults.

Unless you've made a statistical sample on kids views of new vs. old IP, nothing you've said supports your conclusion.

These movies are not meant for you and that's okay. With streaming you can still watch your favorite, while others can watch their favorite.

The number of kids who go to the theme parks is a fraction of the number of kids who will see the movie. And kids are more intelligent than you assume. They can understand the difference between the different versions of Batman, Spider-Man, and Live Actions Disney vs. Animated Disney.
    I get where you're coming from, but this is a lazy argument in that movies are for everyone and we should all get to watch (key part, doing that first so we come to the second part with knowledge) and then also get to participate in a conversation on the product's merits (or lack of). Saying "Ms. Marvel" or "Luke Cage" is "not for you" (meaning it's meant for a select and specific audience) is not only wrong, it demeans both the product as well as everyone involved in creating it and demeans those it's "meant for", by implying that other product is not "meant for consumers of Ms. Marvel/Luke Cage".

If a media mega-power is putting out a show like Ms. Marvel, or She-Hulk, or Loki, or whatever it is meant for whomever might enjoy it. And if it fails to be enjoyable, for whatever legitimate reason (which would not include reactionary/pre-watching reflexive s##t-talking or racism/sexism/homo or transphobia/etc.) then it damn sure can be talked about for whatever reason a consumer of said media likes. We don't get to hand-waive or dismiss entire groups of people because they don't check the same demographic boxes as us (or the characters in our favorite tv shows), or anyone who just happens to disagree with our opinion on what is a matter of opinion.

I mean, we can. We just can't expect to be taken seriously if we do. I get it, easier to dismiss someone than actually reckon with an argument that disagrees with our own position. That's work. Labeling someone as a villain or "not part of the discussion"? Heck of an easier lift.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I get where you're coming from, but this is a lazy argument in that movies are for everyone and we should all get to watch (key part, doing that first so we come to the second part with knowledge) and then also get to participate in a conversation on the product's merits (or lack of). Saying "Ms. Marvel" or "Luke Cage" is "not for you" (meaning it's meant for a select and specific audience) is not only wrong, it demeans both the product as well as everyone involved in creating it and demeans those it's "meant for", by implying that other product is not "meant for consumers of Ms. Marvel/Luke Cage".

If a media mega-power is putting out a show like Ms. Marvel, or She-Hulk, or Loki, or whatever it is meant for whomever might enjoy it. And if it fails to be enjoyable, for whatever legitimate reason (which would not include reactionary/pre-watching reflexive s##t-talking or racism/sexism/homo or transphobia/etc.) then it damn sure can be talked about for whatever reason a consumer of said media likes. We don't get to hand-waive or dismiss entire groups of people because they don't check the same demographic boxes as us (or the characters in our favorite tv shows), or anyone who just happens to disagree with our opinion on what is a matter of opinion.

I mean, we can. We just can't expect to be taken seriously if we do. I get it, easier to dismiss someone than actually reckon with an argument that disagrees with our own position. That's work. Labeling someone as a villain or "not part of the discussion"? Heck of an easier lift.
    The problem is not discussing the relative merit of any individual movie in a rational way. The problem is making a broad argument that certain movies are entirely devoid of merit and shouldn't even exist.

My statement that the remake is not for all people is completely valid. If you want a brand new IP with new songs, characters or story, then a remake is not for you. That is not lazy, that is not demeaning, that is a simple fact.