Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

“Disney made me type out hateful words on Twitter.”

Lol

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Sorry, but this is just total BS.

Harassment, racial or otherwise, is never justified. Studios remaking old movies with a more diverse cast in no way, shape, or form is the cause of the harassment.

The harassers are 100% of the problem. Repeating some idea that studios are courting this is just an effort to deflect or minimize some truly toxic, shitty behavior.
    Do you think Coco, Moana, or Encanto had "harassers". This is simply put a corporation using racism to manipulate you into supporting their product. We're not going to know if this film is any good until May of next year...but you know what we can see right now...Dsney's stock rebounding. It's not about the film it's about the monopoly and making it so that the giant corrupt corporation is the "good guy". Like many actors and actresses in the past Disney is exploiting this girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    Do you think Coco, Moana, or Encanto had "harassers". This is simply put a corporation using racism to manipulate you into supporting their product. We're not going to know if this film is any good until May of next year...but you know what we can see right now...Dsney's stock rebounding. It's not about the film it's about the monopoly and making it so that the giant corrupt corporation is the "good guy". Like many actors and actresses in the past Disney is exploiting this girl.
    Saying that minorities won't get harassed if they "stay in their lane/place" isn't the move, champ.

Remakes are going to continue to exist. They have existed since before any of us here were born. They will exist long after all of us here have died. That's just how stories work. They get told over and over again by different countries, generations, cultures. This is not a new phenomena.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...id_adaptations

There have been 18 movie adaption of The Little Mermaid. 9 of these were made between the Disney animated movie and the Disney live action remake.

The Disney animated movie was not the first time this story has been told. But I'm guessing it was the first version you and many others ever saw. By your own argument, this movie should have never been made. The idea that the first adaption you personally saw should be the last version ever made is a selfish, entitled, egocentric idea.
    Yeah, the point was completely missed there. Disney made it's mark using public domain stories, many from Hans Christian Andersen and the Brothers Grimm so many of it's popular animated movies were "copied" by smaller studios to ride the popular wave. The Chip and Dale movie on Disney+ actually makes fun of this trend. But that is not what the crux of it. Yes I know that the Little Mermaid existed long before is was a Disney animated movie but at the time it was an original telling of the story as all of the other fairy tale where (the originals were a little dark) as the live action remakes are just the same story retold. Pinocchio, The Lion King, Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp, The Jungle Book, and so on its getting boring and you'd expect more ideas coming out of a company as massive as Disney, Encanto was great, looking at the story from a different view like Maleficent awesome idea. Telling the same story just live action, it's unimaginative.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Astonishing Member

I think you're trying to muddy the waters with the 'Disney Bad' argument. So let me repeat my earlier statement, this time bolded.

THE HARASSERS ARE 100% OF THE PROBLEM.

It doesn't matter whether Coco or Moana or any movie had a different reaction. No amount of harassment is ever justified.

Mighty Member

Generally, no one working on animation face harassment, non white actors face harassment in project or franchises the some fans feel that they don't belong like Marvel, Game of Thrones ...

The actors from Ms Marvel and Shang-Chi faced some level of harassment even though these were always original Asian characters, because simply creating something non-white in this social climate is 'woke' or 'SJW'

At the end of the day these most of these people are just online trolls who never had interest in these project in the first place.

When the trailer of Little Mermaid debut, the general reaction on social media was positive it, with most of the criticism being about the muted tone of the trailer and her costume, generally most loved Hallie's voice and only a few people had a problem with race change because it was already known that a black girl was going to play Ariel since the casting was announced.. It was not until a day later when the usual suspects began posting their videos that any backlash began.

Extraordinary Member

Do you think Coco, Moana, or Encanto had "harassers". This is simply put a corporation using racism to manipulate you into supporting their product.
    This is adorable.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Yeah, the point was completely missed there. Disney made it's mark using public domain stories, many from Hans Christian Andersen and the Brothers Grimm so many of it's popular animated movies were "copied" by smaller studios to ride the popular wave. The Chip and Dale movie on Disney+ actually makes fun of this trend. But that is not what the crux of it. Yes I know that the Little Mermaid existed long before is was a Disney animated movie but at the time it was an original telling of the story as all of the other fairy tale where (the originals were a little dark) as the live action remakes are just the same story retold. Pinocchio, The Lion King, Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp, The Jungle Book, and so on its getting boring and you'd expect more ideas coming out of a company as massive as Disney, Encanto was great, looking at the story from a different view like Maleficent awesome idea. Telling the same story just live action, it's unimaginative.
    And you seem to be missing the point.

Whining about being bored or finding new movies unimaginative does not matter one iota. Stories will be retold, remade, revamped, etc by each generation. If a version is bad, it will fall and be forgotten. If it is good, it will be embraced and remembered. That's how we got the Disney animated classics in the first place. Deciding that no new version should exist is a selfish and entitled view.

Extraordinary Member

THE HARASSERS ARE 100% OF THE PROBLEM.
    Exactly. No one is making these people type out racist comments over the Internet. They are. They're choosing to do that all by themselves.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I'm not gonna hate on The Little Mermaid (because I'm not gonna watch it and don't care about who is cast as what) but on remakes, and re-whatever. It is lazy, and getting very old. I'm tired of watching something that is just a re-vamping of something I watched 10, 20, 30 or more years ago. New shows, new ideas, original characters in original stories in original worlds is that too much to ask for? The idea of taking one generations media and "re-imagining" to fit todays society and what it looks like is robbing this generation of having it's own stories that reflect them, nope they mainly get re-hashed ones form the past with a new face.

I think that the criticism of race is a very loud vocal minority that gets loads of attention that just incentivize the ass hats to keep going with it hiding behind gate keeping and nostalgia it the "I'm not racist but" youtube videos. The best way to really call them out is to make innovative material with good writing that feature original POC characters then the morons can't say they don't like because the main is not a white guy. It will also give POC characters aren't decades old ideas remakes the relay on a already existing fan base to make a profit. And it takes away the out studios have when putting out subpar material that when it under preforms point to the neck beards twitter rants as the reason for the fail and not the fact that it really sucked.
    See, I agree with this argument that a company should do new and original stories featuring POC leads instead of just "race swaps."

I've criticized Disney in the past for their homophobia, and I've criticized them extensively for the sexism and racism in the Sequel Trilogy, but I will say that, to their credit, Disney have started to put out new and original movies with non-white lead characters: Encanto (2021), Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) and Turning Red (2022)

Which is why I don't think this specific argument necessarily applies in this case because the Little Mermaid isn't a part of a pattern of Disney doing "race swaps" for their films: it's a part of a pattern of Disney doing more movies with POC leads.

And you seem to be missing the point.

Whining about being bored or finding new movies unimaginative does not matter one iota. Stories will be retold, remade, revamped, etc by each generation. If a version is bad, it will fall and be forgotten. If it is good, it will be embraced and remembered. That's how we got the Disney animated classics in the first place. Deciding that no new version should exist is a selfish and entitled view.
    I've no problem with adaptation or a story that is inspired by or pays homage all of which sees to confused with a remake. I don't rag on West Side Story for playing off of Romeo and Juliet just didn't see a reason that West Side Story it's self needed to be remade, which did bomb at the box office. It just seems like the current generation is just retelling the last with just a new face.

A good example is Ghost Busters (2016) and Ghost Busters: Afterlife. Ghost Busters 2016 with an all female cast featuring a black woman was not well received and failed at the box office. Where as Ghost Busters: Afterlife with a young female lead, an Asian kid, and a black female as main characters, a very diverse cast and was very well received and did really well. The difference is one was a horrible remake trying to tell the same story as the original with unfunny uninteresting stand in's for the first Ghostbusters, and the other played off the original but told an original and interesting story with well imagined characters that created a bridge between the old generation and the new. Ghost Busters: Afterlife didn't create this is the "new" Egon, Winston, and so on.
    This is my opinion mileage may very.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    See, I agree with this argument that a company should do new and original stories featuring POC leads instead of just "race swaps."

I've criticized Disney in the past for their homophobia, and I've criticized them extensively for the sexism and racism in the Sequel Trilogy, but I will say that, to their credit, Disney have started to put out new and original movies with non-white lead characters: Encanto (2021), Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) and Turning Red (2022)

Which is why I don't think this specific argument necessarily applies in this case because the Little Mermaid isn't a part of a pattern of Disney doing "race swaps" for their films: it's a part of a pattern of Disney doing more movies with POC leads.
    What shows like Encanto, Reya, Coco, Moana, and the like give is an original source of individuality to a character of where it is not compared to the original source or borrowed and transplanted into the story. It creates a felling of identity that can be enjoyed but also shared with a diverse audience telling a unique story. Black Panther was so well received in the movies becasue he is an original hero with a different history and story he just happened to be black. I'm looking forward to watching The Woman King because it is something new and unknown I'm not going to see The Little Mermaid becasue it not those things.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 09-16-2022 at 12:17 PM.

Astonishing Member

No love for Soul(2020)? Another original POC Pixar film.

Ultimate Member

I've no problem with adaptation or a story that is inspired by or pays homage all of which sees to confused with a remake. I don't rag on West Side Story for playing off of Romeo and Juliet just didn't see a reason that West Side Story it's self needed to be remade, which did bomb at the box office. It just seems like the current generation is just retelling the last with just a new face.

A good example is Ghost Busters (2016) and Ghost Busters: Afterlife. Ghost Busters 2016 with an all female cast featuring a black woman was not well received and failed at the box office. Where as Ghost Busters: Afterlife with a young female lead, an Asian kid, and a black female as main characters, a very diverse cast and was very well received and did really well. The difference is one was a horrible remake trying to tell the same story as the original with unfunny uninteresting stand in's for the first Ghostbusters, and the other played off the original but told an original and interesting story with well imagined characters that created a bridge between the old generation and the new. Ghost Busters: Afterlife didn't create this is the "new" Egon, Winston, and so on.
    This is my opinion mileage may very.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't GB Afterlife gross less than GB 2016 globally? GB 2016 had a much higher budget but I think GB 2016 actually made more.

What shows like Encanto, Reya, Coco, Moana, and the like give is an original source of individuality to a character of where it is not compared to the original source or borrowed and transplanted into the story. It creates a felling of identity that can be enjoyed but also shared with a diverse audience telling a unique story. Black Panther was so well received in the movies becasue he is an original hero with a different history and story he just happened to be black. I'm looking forward to watching The Woman King because it is something new and unknown I'm not going to see The Little Mermaid becasue it not those things.
    I think the real reason Encanto, Reya, Coco, and Moana weren't "controversial" is that they were animated. We saw some controversy with Lightspeed with people saying that Disney wants to "turn kids gay". Black Panther did get seriously attacked particularly when it got the Best Picture nomination. The anti-woke crowd weren't as vocal as they are now.

Regarding online abuse, brand-new characters get it too. The new Star Wars trilogy got A TON of racist and sexist abuse, especially at Rose Tico (a brand new character). So much so that her Wookieepedia page was vandalized.

And to make it worse, Lucasfilm bent the knee to these asshats by limiting Rose's character.

Speaking of Star Wars, the comments from some of the "fans" about Jodi Turner Smith joining the Acolyte were very racist. So much for creating new characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't GB Afterlife gross less than GB 2016 globally? GB 2016 had a much higher budget but I think GB 2016 actually made more.

I think the real reason Encanto, Reya, Coco, and Moana weren't "controversial" is that they were animated. We saw some controversy with Lightspeed with people saying that Disney wants to "turn kids gay". Black Panther did get seriously attacked particularly when it got the Best Picture nomination. The anti-woke crowd weren't as vocal as they are now.

Regarding online abuse, brand-new characters get it too. The new Star Wars trilogy got A TON of racist and sexist abuse, especially at Rose Tico (a brand new character). So much so that her Wookieepedia page was vandalized.

And to make it worse, Lucasfilm bent the knee to these asshats by limiting Rose's character.
    Yes and no. GB 2016 did make more world wide but After life was shown in less countries and less theaters due to covid. 2016 had a bloated budget that was twice Afterlife all plans for 2016's sequels were scraped were as there is now confirmed follow ups for afterlife. The remake of Ghost Busters failed in 2016 where as the reboot in 2021 was successful it had nothing do do with diversity as both had divers cast it was all in quality of material.

Black Panther was able to overcome the hate on line becasue it was generally a good movie so race was the only thing that the youtube mouth breathers had and could lean on the source material, bad writing, acting, or directing. It exposed those that hide behind "reasons" other than race to hate on a move

First animated reduce controversy that give an animated more that had controversy the difference between the others and Light Year and the others and the others were good. And it benefits Disney to have it remembered as being attacked by hate mongers than to fail because it really wasn't good. Not saying that they go into the casting process looking for controversy but embrace it as back lash that cause the project to fail or under preform and not the fact that the movie was poor quality.

Star Wars fans are a different breed. They pretty much ruined Jake Loyd's (a little white boy) life after he played Anakin Skywalker. Though Rose was an un needed character that didn't nothing but hamper any growth that Finn could have made. TLJ suffered from bad writhing and story telling and that it all on Kennedy and Johnson and nothing to do with the people that just played the part that they were given. Also I don't think they knew what do do with Rose after TLJ and that is why she had a non role in the next movie.