Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

The Little Mermaid Trailer - 1989 vs 2023

Ultimate Member

Wow, one thing’s for sure the people complaining about Ariel’s race will probably NEVER hire a black person for anything in real life.

It just shows and validates how much black people and POC have to struggle to get ahead in the country.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

The outrage against Ariel being portrayed by a black actress will never not be funny to me.

I still remember when the news hit years ago and some people were decrying the casting because it wasn't accurate to the fairy tale. Some were legit trying to criticize it based on the color of Denmark's population because they thought the story took place there. Clearly, nobody had the read fairy tale or they'd know just how laughable the arguments were just based on looking at the story itself.

It amused me that apparently I was suppose to be offended as a Dane that Disney would dare to take this deeply beloved Danish fairy tale and *gasp* have the lead role be played by a black person.

Outrage! Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria! This role belongs to a white woman!

This isn't even the first time that someone who wasn't white has played Disney's Ariel - Auli'i Cravalho, Kimberly Immanuel, etc. In the musical, Triton was played by the awesome Norm Lewis. That has nothing to do with Ariel casting, I just really like Norm Lewis' voice.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 09-16-2022 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    They didn't just highlight a single actor/actress (Zegler) what The Little Mermaid trailer did was send out one message...this is a black mermaid.
    So the teaser for a movie called "The Little Mermaid" shouldn't focus on the little mermaid?
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's not appropriation though, there is nothing intrinsically white about the character so you lose nothing by changing the race.

And again, as has been said multiple times, there are many valid criticisms that have nothing to do with race:

"Disney's last few live action remakes have been dull so I'm not feeling yet another."

"I'm tired of remakes, why can't they make new stories?"

"I feel this story is better served by animation than live action"

Are all valid and you'll find that no one will call you a racist for voicing any of those criticisms...but when your criticism IS the race of the character then yeah you're voicing a racist opinion. There's literally no other alternative. And come on, you seriously don't see how absurd it looks when you couch your view like that? "I'm not a racist, and I think attacking people based on their color is wrong...but let me stop for a second and complain about the race of this character." The two parts of the statement simply do not fit and are completely contradictory, it's like saying, "I believe everyone should live a complete vegan lifestyle, it's horrible the way the meat packing industry treats animals...but man, bacon and steak are delicious so I'll never say no!"
    You've seen my disdain for DISCO, but I've never have said "I'm not Racist" "I'm not Misogynistic" or "I'm not Homophobic". Why? Because I don't have too race, gender, and sexuality aren't my issues with DISCO. Point being if you're not being those things with your criticism you won't be called those things.

Astonishing Member

Existing IPS are meant to be rebooted with a change in race, gender, and sexuality in the main characters. It's only a matter of time (probably decades) when Maverick will be a Transgender of color.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Existing IPS are meant to be rebooted with a change in race, gender, and sexuality in the main characters. It's only a matter of time (probably decades) when Maverick will be a Transgender of color.
    Is there something wrong with transgenders of color?

You posted it like it's bad or something.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Is there something wrong with transgenders of color?

You posted it like it's bad or something.
    Nope it's just you thinking I'm being racist or a bigot.

All IPS are up for changing the main characters. What better way to update or get new audiences for an existing franchise? Make changes to the central characters. Batman does not need to be white and hetrosexual, just male in this case. Change it up.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Nope it's just you thinking I'm being racist or a bigot.

All IPS are up for changing the main characters. What better way to update or get new audiences for an existing franchise? Make changes to the central characters. Batman does not need to be white and hetrosexual, just male in this case. Change it up.
    Well, you're the one that thinks its a bad idea for a transgender of color to lead a Top Gun movie.

A movie where the character's race or sexuality has literally no impact on the story. If its changed up in a reboot it doesn't affect anything.

I dont see how its bad at all. There are some white characters where their race is intrinsic but Top Gun isn't one of them.

Astonishing Member

Well, you're the one that thinks its a bad idea for a transgender of color to lead a Top Gun movie.

A movie where the character's race or sexuality has literally no impact on the story. If its changed up in a reboot it doesn't affect anything.

I dont see how its bad at all. There are some white characters where their race is intrinsic but Top Gun isn't one of them.
    Again I never said that. YOU think I'm being phobic. I'm being serious when I think IPS are meant for changing the central characters to gain new audiences. But continue to think I'm being hateful.

Kinda. If they were to hypothetically re-do the original Top Gun and kept it in the same time period it would be difficult to do such with a Trans actor. It took place during the time of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, and being an openly Trans person in Navy would be a big no-no.

Not saying they weren't in the Navy during that time frame, but statistically it would have been very few due to the regulations.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

I'm not gonna hate on The Little Mermaid (because I'm not gonna watch it and don't care about who is cast as what) but on remakes, and re-whatever. It is lazy, and getting very old. I'm tired of watching something that is just a re-vamping of something I watched 10, 20, 30 or more years ago. New shows, new ideas, original characters in original stories in original worlds is that too much to ask for? The idea of taking one generations media and "re-imagining" to fit todays society and what it looks like is robbing this generation of having it's own stories that reflect them, nope they mainly get re-hashed ones form the past with a new face.

I think that the criticism of race is a very loud vocal minority that gets loads of attention that just incentivize the ass hats to keep going with it hiding behind gate keeping and nostalgia it the "I'm not racist but" youtube videos. The best way to really call them out is to make innovative material with good writing that feature original POC characters then the morons can't say they don't like because the main is not a white guy. It will also give POC characters aren't decades old ideas remakes the relay on a already existing fan base to make a profit. And it takes away the out studios have when putting out subpar material that when it under preforms point to the neck beards twitter rants as the reason for the fail and not the fact that it really sucked.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    So, what's your point here? That the actress has all the racist abuse coming to her for daring to star in a movie? That studios should never hire POC actors because it might upset racists? That racists have a valid point because studios like money?

The only people to blame for the harassment are the people doing the harassing.
    I love how I keep getting these "what's the point" posts when I explained the point several times. The notion that it's the "harassers" that's the problem when you have a corporation that time after time keeps putting actors in those positions. Was this a teaser that promoted the film or was this an attempt by a shady corporation to be the good guys for the marketing of the film. It's likely that the film is going to be bad, the remakes tend to be generally bad. By releasing this trailer almost nine months in advance Disney is promoting it's self. This is the same company that promoted Black Widow and Cruella and then ended up in legal issues with Scarlett Johannson and Emma Stone. It's almost like this monopoly is manipulating it's audience.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I'm not gonna hate on The Little Mermaid (because I'm not gonna watch it and don't care about who is cast as what) but on remakes, and re-whatever. It is lazy, and getting very old. I'm tired of watching something that is just a re-vamping of something I watched 10, 20, 30 or more years ago. New shows, new ideas, original characters in original stories in original worlds is that too much to ask for? The idea of taking one generations media and "re-imagining" to fit todays society and what it looks like is robbing this generation of having it's own stories that reflect them, nope they mainly get re-hashed ones form the past with a new face.

I think that the criticism of race is a very loud vocal minority that gets loads of attention that just incentivize the ass hats to keep going with it hiding behind gate keeping and nostalgia it the "I'm not racist but" youtube videos. The best way to really call them out is to make innovative material with good writing that feature original POC characters then the morons can't say they don't like because the main is not a white guy. It will also give POC characters aren't decades old ideas remakes the relay on a already existing fan base to make a profit. And it takes away the out studios have when putting out subpar material that when it under preforms point to the neck beards twitter rants as the reason for the fail and not the fact that it really sucked.
    Remakes are going to continue to exist. They have existed since before any of us here were born. They will exist long after all of us here have died. That's just how stories work. They get told over and over again by different countries, generations, cultures. This is not a new phenomena.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...id_adaptations

There have been 18 movie adaption of The Little Mermaid. 9 of these were made between the Disney animated movie and the Disney live action remake.

The Disney animated movie was not the first time this story has been told. But I'm guessing it was the first version you and many others ever saw. By your own argument, this movie should have never been made. The idea that the first adaption you personally saw should be the last version ever made is a selfish, entitled, egocentric idea.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    I love how I keep getting these "what's the point" posts when I explained the point several times. The notion that it's the "harassers" that's the problem when you have a corporation that time after time keeps putting actors in those positions. Was this a teaser that promoted the film or was this an attempt by a shady corporation to be the good guys for the marketing of the film. It's likely that the film is going to be bad, the remakes tend to be generally bad. By releasing this trailer almost nine months in advance Disney is promoting it's self. This is the same company that promoted Black Widow and Cruella and then ended up in legal issues with Scarlett Johannson and Emma Stone. It's almost like this monopoly is manipulating it's audience.
    Sorry, but this is just total BS.

Harassment, racial or otherwise, is never justified. Studios remaking old movies with a more diverse cast in no way, shape, or form is the cause of the harassment.

The harassers are 100% of the problem. Repeating some idea that studios are courting this is just an effort to deflect or minimize some truly toxic, shitty behavior.