Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Eventually, the interstellar pest control firm will come by.

Back to the point, I'll suggest that the Novick dragons are so well integrated across their world that they would survive and maybe prosper in some. The Asian, South American, North American Dragons and African dragons seemed to fit. The British ones seem to on the verge of a dragons rights movement. The Eastern European dragons are enslaved. One can imagine if they learn of the roles in other countries, we can see defections.

A GOT dragon today, might land in some zoo. Hard to catch but might be bred for captivity. They would have no utility, except for some obscure uses, such as elephants are used in chores in places where machinery has a hard time.

We certainly don't need a Valheru on one of their dragons around here. That combo can planet smash.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Any of the dragons outside of Midkemia will eventually get killed. The Midkemia dragons are more than capable of just remaining hidden if they don't want to fight, or to easily win any fight we want to bring to them. Easy teleportation means we can't nuke them, and none of our conventional weapons are going to scratch them.

Ancalgon would be a pain, but enough MOABs or a single tactical nuke and he's done. He isn't that fast and can't teleport, shapeshift or dimension hop, so he's going to be instantly and easily detectable anywhere in the world once Earth knows he's there. And they will, because it's not like he's capable of resisting firing off an attack or two.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    I agree completely. Right now, there are grown men freaking out because Disney made a live-action movie about a black mermaid. As a species, we can't even handle minor variations in skin color in our own kind, so there is no way that we would be able to peacefully share a planet with big, highly sentient lizards. We would be obsessed with killing them. Some of us would protest and try to live in peace with the dragons, but the majority would freak out and try to kill them. If there is intelligent life on other planets, I hope that we don't meet them unless we manage to some day rise above our violent xenophobia.
    I think that it would be the North American mindset. I don't necessarily think that it would be the same on the other side of the world. I could easily see several cults and religions form in China/Japan/Thailand over the reintroduction of dragons. It's easy to see the dragons get worshipped, studied, in power, etc.

I think that I also could see those countries close off their access to the dragons after a few successful assassinations from the West. I foresee more of the return to the Cold War in this scenario. The West definitely would want to kill them. The East, I'm not so sure.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Mac View Post
    I think that it would be the North American mindset. I don't necessarily think that it would be the same on the other side of the world. I could easily see several cults and religions form in China/Japan/Thailand over the reintroduction of dragons. It's easy to see the dragons get worshipped, studied, in power, etc.

I think that I also could see those countries close off their access to the dragons after a few successful assassinations from the West. I foresee more of the return to the Cold War in this scenario. The West definitely would want to kill them. The East, I'm not so sure.
    Not many (if any) of the dragons in the scenario would be willing to be neutral even, much less the slaves they'd be required to be to be accepted by the "East" as you put it.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Absolutely, though I feel Glaurung would be a better fit. ^_^
    Not that Anima dragons are on this list, but Svalkislavos (sp?) would totally be down for this. While he plots to take everything.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Not that Anima dragons are on this list, but Svalkislavos (sp?) would totally be down for this. While he plots to take everything.
    Sounds like a good one. You've clearly been picking stuff up on the Discord. Nice!

Also, certain Anima Dragons would likely have a much, much better chance of simply blending in and remaining unnoticed. Manah Razz, for example, given her shapeshifting ability and tremendous Dark magic.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Think this and similar vehicles would make short work of most Dragons sans the especially pure magic ones

Being able to punch through 2.8 inches of hardened steel armor should translate very well to most Dragonhide

Astonishing Member

That would be the case. I was interested a bit in the cultural aspects of surviving dragons, esp. the intelligent ones. The Novik dragons would, IMHO, integrate in the societies of several countries but have limited military values except if they prove to be stealthy. One trying to be evil like Smaug - they are dead. Luckily for them, their societies stay fixed in the Middle Ages tech for a long time. We didn't even seen antidragon techniques like in GOT. Just lucky shots at the magic spot.

I could see dragons making a living in Search and Rescue. They would be good for getting hiker out of trouble, folks on roof tops during floods and the like. Life Fight would be easier for them as they probably are more easily maneuverable than helicopters in some circumstances.

Spectacular Member

The Castle Falkenstein Dragons should fare well. They aren't particularly powerful in Dragon form (more like spellcasting Pteradactyls who are long lived and obsessed with accumulating treasure). But they also can naturally shapeshift into human form, which should fare them well in the human world. Their magic, intelligence and acumen for acquiring wealth should make them fit in well in the 20th century.

As would any shapeshifting dragon, smart enough to hide their true nature, I would think. (The Greyhawk/Steel Dragons from D&D, and the Gold and Silver dragons too- though their do-gooder tendencies of th Gold and Silvers might cause them to get into trouble. The Steel Dragon would do just fine in 2022).

Yeah, the Temeraire dragons, although they can't shapeshift (some are the size of a horse, but other breeds are simply massive), were brought into different cultures. In China, they're treated the same as any human. From the peasant class, all the way up to the Imperial family. Many offer transport, but also other capabilities like military as well.

In South America, they have high positions of authority.

In Africa, many are treated as reincarnated family members.

In Europe, later on, they begin to go the Chinese route of making dragons equal to humans. Same with North America.