Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What era was the best for the Superman supporting characters?

Which Superman era do you feel was the best for the supporting characters? Where you got the best mix of characters from the Daily Planet, Metropolis, Smallville and others?

Extraordinary Member

The triangle era by far. So many characters among the Daily Planet, the police, Metropolis as a whole, Smallville, ect. After The Death/Return storyarc there were also a bunch of really good spin-offs with Supergirl, Superboy, and Steel forming 'Team Superman.'

Extraordinary Member

I always thought the animated series handled them best, personally. Although I really liked Loeb's handling of them.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Retired

I personally liked the plurality of characters in the 1970s comics. It seems to me there was the most depth in the cast in that period--it's just unfortunate that a lot of them didn't have a great number of appearances. I think if the comics had the soap opera structure (and the greater number of titles) that the 1990s had we would have seen more of them.

Lazy answer: when the supporting characters had their own books.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I always thought the animated series handled them best, personally. Although I really liked Loeb's handling of them.
    In agreement with you about Loeb. I'll never get tired of the Loeb/McGuinness run (LOL):

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Lazy answer: when the supporting characters had their own books.
    Yeah for that specifically the late 90s was probably the best period since Superboy, Supergirl, and Steel all got their own ongoings
    Last edited by Vordan; 09-15-2022 at 06:09 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think Pre-Crisis is a contender. Jimmy, Lois, and Supergirl got books during this time as well.
    Last edited by KC; 09-17-2022 at 09:28 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

90's to Early 00's for me.

Superboy, Steel, and Supergirl had their own books.

At the Planet you had Lois, Jimmy, Perry, Ron Troupe, Dirk Armstrong, & Simone D'Neige.

Metropolis Citizens: Lex (Who went from Villain to Villain/Supporting Character Post Crisis), Dan Turpin, Cat Grant, Maggie Sawyer, Steve Lombard, Bibbo Bibbowski, Morgan and Vincent Edge, & Toby Raynes.

Whites: Alice, Jerry, and Keith.

Supergirl: Fred and Sylvia Danvers, Cutter Sharpe, Mattie Hartcourt, and Comet (Andrea Martinez/Andrew Jones).

Scientist Allies: Emil Hamilton and Kitty Faulkner.

Smallville/Family: Jonathan and Martha Kent, Sam and Ella Lane, Lana Lang, Pete Ross, & Lucy Lane.

Kids: Adam Grant, Sam Troupe, and Clark Ross.

Cadmus: Dubbliex, Mickey Cannon, Serling Roquette, Adam Winterbourne.

Fortress: Kelex, Krypto, & "Ned".

Superhero Allies: Natasha Irons, Gangbuster, Kismet/Strange Visitor, Outburst, & Ashbury Armstrong and Scorn.

Extraordinary Member

I might argue a kind of “joint” period - Bronze Age Pre-Crisis through the Triangle Era Post-Crisis.

I think the Bronze Age emphasis on decent “soap opera”/“sitcom” writing of the supporting cast was carried over as a philosophy past COIE; which makes complete sense, since the personnel of the Bronze Age stayed with them through the reboot.

Honestly, sometimes that whole period feel like it’s real strength was integrating Clark and the Supporting Cast as the main appeal of the books at the time; the fact that Lex became a supporting cast member as well only further helped that.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Definitely late Bronze Age-triangle era.

I'm vocal about my various problems with post-Crisis, especially the earlier years, but the supporting cast was never among those complaints.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Retired

You do realize that I will now have to prepare a list of every supporting character from 1938 through to the present day. That should take about five years. I wonder if I could get a research grant--I doubt the Canada Council supports these sorts of diversions.

I wish you folks would exercise some caution before posting these queries. It's fine to ask the question, but then think of the poor bookworm who must investigate these subjects to deliver the correct response.

They really are careless, aren't they Jim?

Did I hear somewhere that Canada has some sort of pop culture museum, or at least an exhibit or something? I swear I read that somewhere, once upon a time.

Maybe you could get a grant to compile data on Superman, since he'd presumably be a big part of any such pop culture extravaganza. Your government might not do it, but maybe a museum would. Of course, if your government is anything like the States, you might be surprised at what grants get approved and funded too. I know America has funded far sillier research.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Definitely late Bronze Age-triangle era.

I'm vocal about my various problems with post-Crisis, especially the earlier years, but the supporting cast was never among those complaints.
    I can think of few characters who got more out of CoIE than Lois Lane. Generally, the triangle era seemed to be doing the most with Metropolis that we've ever seen.

You can say the silver age since Lois and Jimmy actually had books, but frankly speaking, Lois's book was largely "how can I convince Superman to marry me" so while it had a lot for her volume-wise, I wouldn't say it did her a ton of favors other than general popularity and, well, having DC publish another book with a female lead. I love Lois, but that's not her best era. Important, but not the best.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Shoot, give Fraction/Leiber another Jimmy book and start a new top notch era.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog