Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    It really matters how much Omega Magneto is, when Glob can, tecnically, kill him with one good punch? That's something I think is missing from the Omega conversation, with the exception of Exodus, and occasionally Vulcan, the Omegas are just meat and can die by stabbing or heart attack. They are not the Hulk, Thor or Blue Marvel.
    But being Omega level was never about how durable you are. If that's the case then Colossus, Emma, Monet, Armor, ect.. would be front and center. I've seen this argument time and time again and it makes no sense to me.

At the end of the day it's all about raw power, skill, and potential. All 3 of those needs to be in perfect synch for an Omega to really shine. Just look at Magneto's statement about his "iron heart". He never could've pulled it off in his younger years due to lack of skill. Kid Omega is currently in the same boat. He usually has the power and the potential is obviously there but his skill is a bit limp which is why he's under Jean's tutelage.

All in all the omega title really amounts to nothing more than bragging rights. For good or for bad that's really the bottom line. Magneto backed by Hope got pwned by the Orchis space station yet on the flip side you have Eden Fesi who can quite literally summon a Rasengan backed by the power of the sun itself that could theoretically end all life on the planet.
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

What is the obsession with making every character Omega level

Omega=/=better character

Astonishing Member

He isn't Omega and it's too late.

Unless gets some new mutation.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post

Omega=/=better character
    Exactly this. It's a title that holds no real weight and is just there for bragging rights. Not to mention it makes some people prickly if their character didn't make the cut. Like it lessens them and their contribution to the story/X-Mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post

Absorbing and emitting all the different "powers" of the sun. Radiation, frequencies, sheer amount of power.
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Ultimate Member

In Age of Apocalypse, he could create small black holes and manipulate gravity, on top of his usual powers.

So no, not too late

Astonishing Member

Different reality and Hickman changed what is Omega Level.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post

Omega=/=better character
    In my opinion, it makes for worse characterization (because there is just no reason for them to be so damn fragile, stupid, or powerless in the face of the mook of the week), but more screen time (because the X-Office only cares about things like this).
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Ultimate Member

Different reality and Hickman changed what is Omega Level.
    Same source material, and I'm just saying that the potential is there

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Same source material, and I'm just saying that the potential is there
    When he was Reignfire he made solar energy rain from the sky and controlled it. That’s canon so your not wrong. He definitely has more potential. He also held up the earth in Avengers with Hercules and Thor. That level of power was killing him because of M Pox but that’s god level strength.
    Last edited by OWL45; 09-19-2022 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    But being Omega level was never about how durable you are. If that's the case then Colossus, Emma, Monet, Armor, ect.. would be front and center. I've seen this argument time and time again and it makes no sense to me.

At the end of the day it's all about raw power, skill, and potential. All 3 of those needs to be in perfect synch for an Omega to really shine. Just look at Magneto's statement about his "iron heart". He never could've pulled it off in his younger years due to lack of skill. Kid Omega is currently in the same boat. He usually has the power and the potential is obviously there but his skill is a bit limp which is why he's under Jean's tutelage.

All in all the omega title really amounts to nothing more than bragging rights. For good or for bad that's really the bottom line. Magneto backed by Hope got pwned by the Orchis space station yet on the flip side you have Eden Fesi who can quite literally summon a Rasengan backed by the power of the sun itself that could theoretically end all life on the planet.
    I kind of agree with you. At the end of the day, there are mutants who aren't in the Omega list and are more dangerous/efficient than quite a few on the list.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    It really matters how much Omega Magneto is, when Glob can, tecnically, kill him with one good punch? That's something I think is missing from the Omega conversation, with the exception of Exodus, and occasionally Vulcan, the Omegas are just meat and can die by stabbing or heart attack. They are not the Hulk, Thor or Blue Marvel.
    I guess the problem with the Omega category is that after the fact, the writer needs to come up with villains able to hold them back, which makes less effective other characters or they are depowered sometimes because X-men is a team franchise and all characters need time and space to tell their stories.

In Magnetoīs case, heīs powerful enough to hold back the Avengers or the X-men on his own, sometimes at the same time or to provoke an electro magnetic pulse on earth on his own but when heīs on an X-men team, heīs often taken off the table for some reason or another but I think on this area Ewing has been effective in giving Magneto, Storm, Sunspot, Cable, Brand, Arakko mutants, etc time to shine while advancing the story so I canīt fault him for not writting Magneto at his strongest level when the story called for him to be vulnerable and be emotionally challenged.

His durability is the same, heīs often survived attacks that reduced him to become an energy being, in X-men The End by Claremont he was able to put himself back together after being burned to death, until he was just bones, by Cassandra Nova and he was able to put himself back together by becoming a purely energy being and sometimes heīs written vulnerable physically but still powerful to hold his own like in Age of Apocalypse. It depends on the kind of story being told and what the writer needs to do at the moment and how well they sell the character being vulnerable for some reason in particular. Stories need stakes and storytelling is way more than just the power level of a certain character. I personally enjoy stories able to handle both, to keep constant the power level of characters and to tell challenging stories.

One of my favorite moments with Magneto where a balance was achieved was when Proteus turned his blood into lead and he was able to fight him off earth and attack him at an atomic level but the story of Magneto vs Uranus is about Magneto facing his mortality, his power level is not in question here but his ability to hold his oath of not using the ressurrection protocols so the story happened in a different way.

Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-20-2022 at 04:16 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

I understand the need to challenge the character, and how difficult it is to do so in a team book, my favorite character is Superman and if I expect him to in the JL book be at the same power level he is on his solo comic, is just asking to be upset.

I guess, what I mean to say, is that the Omega level status isn't that much when we have characters like Magik who are more useful and effective in a wider variety of situations, or character like Apocalype who can withstand way more than most Omegas.

On the Avengers side of things, we have Monica Rambeau, Blue Marvel, Thor and Starbrand who not only can do by themselves the job of the Omega list, but can also punch a montain into dust. Carol Danvers could probably beat Magneto, Vulcan or Storm, but Rogue could take her down with a hug, even without that Omega level stamp on her file.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 09-20-2022 at 04:37 PM.

I love Magik as well for that same reason, her versatility makes her incredibly powerful being able to time travel while also being the lady of Limbo isnīt a small thing, this along with her story of survival, pain and heroism makes her one of the best characters to tell different stories. I enjoy her interactions and what she brings of each character.

I also like Apocalypse, heīs able to use magic but had acess to Celelstial tecnology, so his durability is very great even if it isnīt part of his original mutant powers.

In both cases, powerful mutants became even more powerful by adquiring new skills using their abilities and personalities and I like those kind of stories, where each characters brings their particular skills to the table to fight off different foes. Itīs also why I think the Omega category is cool to have but itīs not the be it all of any character, not if their characterization suffers because the writer canīt think of anything else to do with them except make them even more powerful or take them off the table to use other characters.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-20-2022 at 04:41 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

I think Susnspot is a great character and I like him regardless!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Same here, heīs becoming a Chessmaster and seeing his story written by Ewing is great, cant wait to see what else he does as part of Arakko leadership.