Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    And yes to this. I remember Lord of the Rings fans annoyed at how 'weak' Gandalf was compared to a D&D wizard chucking fireballs and lightning bolts around (or even compared to Tim the Enchanter, from Monty Python and the Holy Grail), or how 'weak' Luke Skywalker's force powers were compared to the sort of 'psychic' displays we saw in movies like Scanners, Carrie and Firestarter way back in the 70s and 80s, so it's something that goes around all sorts of fandoms, and feels kind of toxic, as if 'more power' is somehow tied to 'better character,' when that's explicitly not the case, and if it was, characters like the Sentry or Sersi or Blue Marvel with *amazing* power levels would sell tons of books, and 'weaker' characters like Daredevil and Punisher and Captain America would never get a movie or TV series, let alone a solo book.

Similarly, mutants like Wolverine, who is barely a spark compared to the raging mutant bonfire of someone like Exodus or Vulcan, is vastly more successful, because 'more powerful' rarely if ever means 'more interesting.' (Indeed, a more powerful character has a *smaller* range of stories and challenges and foes they can face, or has to be written pretty badly to be 'challenged' by something that is an appropriate challenge for their allies, and ends up looking like a moron for not resolving the challenge of the day with a Flex, something that happens to Storm pretty much constantly, being chumped out so that the rest of the people around her get to do something.)

I like that Sunspot, and the various other New Mutants, were introduced with limitations, and weren't 'Omegas' out of the box, and would be absolutely fine with them never reaching that status.
    Completely agree with you. The only majorly powerful New Mutant is Magik. The others aren’t that powerful, and it’s fine. Moonstar is a good fighter and tactician, and I like her Valkyrie stories. But her mutant power isn’t and never will be Omega.

Sunspot, Karma, Moonstar, Cannonball, Wolfsbane are fine as they are.

I like a mix of characters. Love Wolverine and his family. Love Gambit. I do love Omega mutants too. Bjt it’s because I like gacibg a diversity of characters, snd just because I like Daken or Laura does not mean I think they should be Omegas. I do love Jean and the other Greys, Exodus, Storm. I’m cool with Psylocke/Kwannon coming into her power/evolving. Bjt I like characters like Kitty Pryde who isn’t and never will be Omega. But she is a brilliant strategist.

Sunspot figured out how to defeat loudmouth Isca. That was awesome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Once upon a time, Cyclops was the closest thing to a mutant Batman, back when he would make plans that involved him dying on Breakworld, flew with jetpacks and was prison breaking with Magneto and Magik helping. Now he sits around telling dad jokes. But it's the nature of team franchises, currently the writers running the show are Emma, Storm and Magneto enthusiasts, maybe in the 10 years Cyclops will be back.
    He came back a little with the relaunch of the XMen. And really with him being honest about mutant resurrection.

Incredible Member

I agree with you. I love the Batman/ Old school Nick Fury feel Ewing is playing with. I do think he should be a little more powerful considering when he was Reignfire or Reinfire was him he was able to do more things with his powers. He should be upper tier Alpha doesn’t need to be Omega if they are going to develop his mental prowess more as a character.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Completely agree with you. The only majorly powerful New Mutant is Magik. The others aren’t that powerful, and it’s fine. Moonstar is a good fighter and tactician, and I like her Valkyrie stories. But her mutant power isn’t and never will be Omega.
    I disagree on Mirage's powers. She and Magma are the ones among the NM with the highest potential to be omega. In the first NM issue, a Brood Queen unleashed her full potential through Xavier's telepathy, making her illusions solid. Dani could possibly become as powerful as William Evans.

Warlock is a major powerhouse too, but most of the times, he is too gentle to go all out.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

The Omega classification makes dealing with Jean's and Storm's fans almost completely unbearable so I'm totally fine with less characters getting it. The powers don't make the character, and as others have said it's more interesting to read about heroes who actually have to struggle against the odds rather than being able to completely overpower any threat because their fans demand it. Sunspot is being written well and I'm happy to see more of him regardless of whether or not he can absorb more solar energy than anyone else, or whatever.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

If someone who can make volcanos, make them erupt and move each plates is not even an omega mutant, than we might not take the Omega mutant issue not serious.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

They might as well kill him off, tbh. A mutant who isn't powerful enough is just one step above the flatscans. Time to start cutting off society's dead weight and focus on the mutants who are more important than others. March towards purity. Only Sinister can help Krakoa realize its potential. Trust in Essex.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    They might as well kill him off, tbh. A mutant who isn't powerful enough is just one step above the flatscans. Time to start cutting off society's dead weight and focus on the mutants who are more important than others. March towards purity. Only Sinister can help Krakoa realize its potential. Trust in Essex.
    And Krakoa itself better get with the program before a more powerful omega island floats along.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    And Krakoa itself better get with the program before a more powerful omega island floats along.
    Krakoa is just a island, who cares about islands. Just wait until a mutant continent comes along. Actually, are we sure Ego isn't a mutant?

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    The Omega classification makes dealing with Jean's and Storm's fans almost completely unbearable so I'm totally fine with less characters getting it. The powers don't make the character, and as others have said it's more interesting to read about heroes who actually have to struggle against the odds rather than being able to completely overpower any threat because their fans demand it. Sunspot is being written well and I'm happy to see more of him regardless of whether or not he can absorb more solar energy than anyone else, or whatever.
    This is SOOO on point! Character development and compelling stakes make a story, and I really rather see Sunspot as he is now than a one-man wrecking crew that easily squashes all competition. More generally, I also wish the X-writers would give us villains worthy of our heroes (and that last more than a few pages or maybe an issue). Every time they build up some new big bad like it's going to be a contest we get one of the X-Office favs one-shotting them in a panel or two. Orchis is where, exactly? The Neuvo-humans are in their ball gestating forever. Druig is an imebecile. Uranos was taken down in like a page. The Hexes were nothing. The whole war has been a complete clown show. I'm waiting for the Celestial to go down to a wolverine's claws because...why not? It's a wolverine and that's how this world works.

I'm not saying I want the X-Men to lose, but I want some stakes that draw me in and excite me.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

I have no problem if Roberto's evolves into an Omega level mutant. In the end its who the character is presented and written to us.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Correct is right.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Incredible Member

From upcoming Marauders solicits I would not be surprised if we find out there was an ancestor of Krakoa was a continent

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Agreed. Power level is fine but story, characterization and stakes is what makes the story.

Sunspot has been great with Ewing, really looking forward what else he does on Arakko, I would love a confrontation between him and Brand.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-18-2022 at 07:58 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Lately Magik (and Manifold) have been doing some crazy stuff with giant portals moving space stations around and whatever, but even then, her mutant power is rarely what is considered 'uber' about Ilyanna, it's that whole demon-queen sorceress of Limbo thing, which she has handed off to Madelyn, and that kind of intrigues me, because they've talked up her being kinda/sorta a sorceress supreme of Limbo, but she barely ever *casts spells,* just whips out her magic sword and starts chopping away like she would rather be Wolverine, than Dr. Strange. I'm actually excited to see if she focuses more on her actual mutant power, and starts pulling some stunts like Blink and Manifold are better-known to do, and less on the talk-about-magic-and-then-not-use-any.

But yeah, I agree that *some* Omegas are fun as they are, all woo and over-the-top powerful, but that doesn't mean that everybody has to be one, or that the 'non-Omegas' have to be any less interesting, just because they can't one-shot an Eternal.

And the whole 'Omega' classification is quiffy anyway. There is literally nobody better at looking like a half-plucked chicken than Beak, does that make him the Omega of that sad, sad mutation? Is anybody *more* of a vaguely-man-shaped-blob-of-wax-with-floating-organs-in-it than Glob, or is he the apex of that dubious niche? More seriously, Scanner is freaking amazing at astral projection, able to smack *Xavier* around in her astral form, and he practically invented astral projection. Does that count as 'Omega' or just 'badass?' (I'm rooting for badass. If sad old Isca counts as Omega, then it's not worth much, IMO, 'cause she's kinda useless. She's been seriously challenged like, three times, that we've seen, and all three times she turned and fought for the side that was winning. She belongs on Mojoworld, because that's not a super-power, that's straight up spinelessness.)