Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Agreed. Power level is fine but story, characterization and stakes is what makes the story.

Sunspot has been great with Ewing, really looking forward what else he does on Arakko, I would love a confrontation between him and Brand.
    Hi Lucy, wanted to send more than one PM, but your inbox is full, I guess I will send the other one(or two), after you get the new reply and free up space

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm also completely uninterested in character power levels, "feats" and the such. I can enjoy the Omega classification but more for the story possibilities it can bring, and I think it's been used in interesting ways in the current era. I really don't want the X-Men to turn into Dragonball, where several characters are so powerful they could crack the Earth in half with a single blast, and then most of their fights become about "holding back" and testing each other to see who's the strongest.

I look at Claremont's X-Men as the blueprint for how character powers should be handled: under his pen, many characters would be formidable and certainly very powerful, but those powers had limits and would often come at a cost (ie Logan' s healing factor was never "regenerating from a single drop of blood" strong, Jean's TK would require strong concentration, Longshot's luck would run out during a fight, etc)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'm also completely uninterested in character power levels, "feats" and the such. I can enjoy the Omega classification but more for the story possibilities it can bring, and I think it's been used in interesting ways in the current era. I really don't want the X-Men to turn into Dragonball, where several characters are so powerful they could crack the Earth in half with a single blast, and then most of their fights become about "holding back" and testing each other to see who's the strongest.

I look at Claremont's X-Men as the blueprint for how character powers should be handled: under his pen, many characters would be formidable and certainly very powerful, but those powers had limits and would often come at a cost (ie Logan' s healing factor was never "regenerating from a single drop of blood" strong, Jean's TK would require strong concentration, Longshot's luck would run out during a fight, etc)
    Logan regenerating from a single drop of blood happened under Claremont, actually.

Though current writers seem to ignore that said drop of blood fell into a cosmic plot devise...

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Logan regenerating from a single drop of blood happened under Claremont, actually.

Though current writers seem to ignore that said drop of blood fell into a cosmic plot devise...
    Was that from the Annual drawn by Alan Davis? I remember that but also seem to recall there was something mystical/cosmic/whatever happening there?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Lately Magik (and Manifold) have been doing some crazy stuff with giant portals moving space stations around and whatever, but even then, her mutant power is rarely what is considered 'uber' about Ilyanna, it's that whole demon-queen sorceress of Limbo thing, which she has handed off to Madelyn, and that kind of intrigues me, because they've talked up her being kinda/sorta a sorceress supreme of Limbo, but she barely ever *casts spells,* just whips out her magic sword and starts chopping away like she would rather be Wolverine, than Dr. Strange. I'm actually excited to see if she focuses more on her actual mutant power, and starts pulling some stunts like Blink and Manifold are better-known to do, and less on the talk-about-magic-and-then-not-use-any.

But yeah, I agree that *some* Omegas are fun as they are, all woo and over-the-top powerful, but that doesn't mean that everybody has to be one, or that the 'non-Omegas' have to be any less interesting, just because they can't one-shot an Eternal.

And the whole 'Omega' classification is quiffy anyway. There is literally nobody better at looking like a half-plucked chicken than Beak, does that make him the Omega of that sad, sad mutation? Is anybody *more* of a vaguely-man-shaped-blob-of-wax-with-floating-organs-in-it than Glob, or is he the apex of that dubious niche? More seriously, Scanner is freaking amazing at astral projection, able to smack *Xavier* around in her astral form, and he practically invented astral projection. Does that count as 'Omega' or just 'badass?' (I'm rooting for badass. If sad old Isca counts as Omega, then it's not worth much, IMO, 'cause she's kinda useless. She's been seriously challenged like, three times, that we've seen, and all three times she turned and fought for the side that was winning. She belongs on Mojoworld, because that's not a super-power, that's straight up spinelessness.)
    I agreed with spineless Isca. Put her on MojoWorld. Can’t wait to see her kicked out of the Great Ring. I think they so rarely show Magik use magic because she’d overshadow her teammates on the New Mutants. Still, Moonstar told her she should use her magic in combat more often.

Her mutant powers are different now her teleportation is not tied to Limbo. Not sure where want to go with that. But Illyana, after being trained by Belasco and Storm, was trained by Dr. Strange so she is a skilled sorceress.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    I agreed with spineless Isca. Put her on MojoWorld. Can’t wait to see her kicked out of the Great Ring. I think they so rarely show Magik use magic because she’d overshadow her teammates on the New Mutants. Still, Moonstar told her she should use her magic in combat more often.

Her mutant powers are different now her teleportation is not tied to Limbo. Not sure where want to go with that. But Illyana, after being trained by Belasco and Storm, was trained by Dr. Strange so she is a skilled sorceress.
    I'm taking a guess here but following Ewing's hints it's not that Isca is a coward who flips whenever her current side is poised to lose. I see her insistence that she CANNOT LOSE as positioning her as a tragic character when you think about it, someone who can't turn off their power and is very much a victim of it as much as her own victims. Didn't she betray her own people and sister upon fighting Amenth? To me it sounds like Ewing is telling us Isca has no choice on the matter because she can't turn off her mutant weapon.

As a matter of fact, in the last Red issue a member of the Ring comments how Isca is not back with them YET, signalling that they know Isca has no control over her actions and that they are ready to welcome her back. And then the following arc will explore how the Krakoans might see that a bit differently.

Extraordinary Member

Magma is the poster-child for how great power is no substitute for personality and story. The biggest reason she's not considered an omega-level mutant despite her ridiculously OP powerset is because no one cares about her enough to even think to include her, which goes back to her having no personality to make people care about her in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'm taking a guess here but following Ewing's hints it's not that Isca is a coward who flips whenever her current side is poised to lose. I see her insistence that she CANNOT LOSE as positioning her as a tragic character when you think about it, someone who can't turn off their power and is very much a victim of it as much as her own victims. Didn't she betray her own people and sister upon fighting Amenth? To me it sounds like Ewing is telling us Isca has no choice on the matter because she can't turn off her mutant weapon.

As a matter of fact, in the last Red issue a member of the Ring comments how Isca is not back with them YET, signalling that they know Isca has no control over her actions and that they are ready to welcome her back. And then the following arc will explore how the Krakoans might see that a bit differently.
    Ewing also said in an interview that Isca is basically a villain and not a nice individual, so not sure how much sympathy we're supposed to muster for her. Doesn't help that despite her "unfortunate" power, she's also unnecessarily a huge bitch most of the time towards people for no good reason.

Incredible Member

Glad to see many people agree with Omega being unnecessary. It doesn't matter if he has the strongest solar powers, or strong enough solar powers.

Omega mutants never matter to the story unless the plot allows for it. So really, they are actually the weakest mutants as they are limited by PIS.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Trying to figure out how in En Sabah Nur's big blue ass how the OP decided that being on a Council determines if a mutant is Omega or not.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

Yeah, that was a property of the cosmic McGuffin, not of the Canucklehead. But now it's canon that he can fall from orbit, have the meat burned off his bones, and regenerate back from that. :/

I remember the 'good old days' when he got shot in the gut during the fight beneath the Hellfire Club (in the Dark Phoenix Saga), and it was a big effing deal that he was able to fight through the pain and trauma of that, and it took him days to completely recover!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Magma is the poster-child for how great power is no substitute for personality and story. The biggest reason she's not considered an omega-level mutant despite her ridiculously OP powerset is because no one cares about her enough to even think to include her, which goes back to her having no personality to make people care about her in the first place.
    Yeah, Magma, even before Storm, was strongly suggested to have planet-busting potential. But, pfft. She wasn't popular, and so she's back in the third tier, less relevant than literally every other second-generation New Mutant; Ilyanna, Doug, Warlock or Rictor.

But she'll always rank ahead of Bird-Brain and Feral!

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Trying to figure out how in En Sabah Nur's big blue ass how the OP decided that being on a Council determines if a mutant is Omega or not.
    That's from the latest X-Men Red issue, it's stated that the mutants sitting on the Night Table are never Omega mutants.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

How about this....

EVERYONE is Omega Level!!

It really matters how much Omega Magneto is, when Glob can, tecnically, kill him with one good punch? That's something I think is missing from the Omega conversation, with the exception of Exodus, and occasionally Vulcan, the Omegas are just meat and can die by stabbing or heart attack. They are not the Hulk, Thor or Blue Marvel.