Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Actors that played Multiple Roles in one Series.

I thought it would be fun to name some actors that played different characters on the same series/universe (Like Star Trek)

The first one that comes to mind for me is the actor Tim Ware who played for different characters in different episodes of In The Heat of the Night tv show. A loud Mouth Redneck parent, a murderous Bounty Hunter, A murderous Banker, and Virgal Tibbs lawyer boss. He had a great line as the boss. "Morals are a great thing when you can afford them. And right now I can afford them."

Tony Todd who in DS9 played both Kurn (Worf's Brother) Forget the episode name and an older Jake Sisko in The Visitor.

Marc Alamo Who played Gul Dukat in Ds9 and Gul Macet in TNG episode The Wounded. (And he is the reason the Cardassians have neck Ridges)

I am sure there are tons of examples on Star Trek alone.

So what are some that you can think of.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I thought it would be fun to name some actors that played different characters on the same series/universe (Like Star Trek)

The first one that comes to mind for me is the actor Tim Ware who played for different characters in different episodes of In The Heat of the Night tv show. A loud Mouth Redneck parent, a murderous Bounty Hunter, A murderous Banker, and Virgal Tibbs lawyer boss. He had a great line as the boss. "Morals are a great thing when you can afford them. And right now I can afford them."

Tony Todd who in DS9 played both Kurn (Worf's Brother) Forget the episode name and an older Jake Sisko in The Visitor.

Marc Alamo Who played Gul Dukat in Ds9 and Gul Macet in TNG episode The Wounded. (And he is the reason the Cardassians have neck Ridges)

I am sure there are tons of examples on Star Trek alone.

So what are some that you can think of.
    Supernatural was a goldmine when it came to this sort of thing.

Seems like there might have even been one or two actors that came back in a different role three different times.

And Law & Order (all series) probably has both Supernatural and Star Trek beat. Example: I love how Jay O. Sanders played a mob hitman in the second season if Law & Order: Criminal Intent, and returned as a series regular, the captain of the major case squad, in the final season.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

This happened a lot of 70’s shows I watch.

On Columbo, Jack Cassidy kept murdering people. So did Patrick McGoohan, Robert Culp, and George Hamilton. I think Bill Shatner killed twice. Peter Falk’s wife was on a few episodes.

On Barney Miller, folks keep showing up as different people.

Original Dark Shadows had everyone did multiple roles depending on the storyline.

Joan Bennett alone played her main character Elizabeth Collins Stoddard while also playing Naomi Collins in the 1790's storyline, Judith Collins in 1897, Another Version of Elizabeth in the Parallel Time Storyline, Flora Collins in 1840, and Another Version of Flora in the 1841 Parallel Time Storyline. While also playing yet another version of Elizabeth Collins Stoddard in the House of Dark Shadows Film.

Louis Edmonds who played her brother Roger Collins also played a Version of Roger in the Parallel Time Storyline, Joshua Collins in the 1790's Storyline, Edward Collins in 1897, Daniel Collins in 1840, Amadeus Collins in a 1692 Flashback Scene, and Brutus Collins in a 1680 Parallel Time Flashback Scene while also playing his Roger character in the House of Dark Shadows film.

& these are only 2 actors they all did this outside of Frid who only played Barnabas and his character son Bramwell in the 1841 Parallel Time Storyline.

I have been watching some old shows, like Maverick, Perry Mason, Wanted Dead or Alive. They recycled a lot of actors.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Elizabeth Montgomery played both Samantha and Serena ( although Serena was sometimes credited as Pandora Spocks)

Barbara Eden played both Jeannie and her sister, also called Jeannie.

Spectacular Member

X-Files had quite a few. Especially once they established Millennium existed in the same universe.

Extraordinary Member

Allan Melvin played several characters on The Andy Griffith Show as men who would bully Barney (and later on, Howard Sprague).

Star Trek was the first thing I thought of when I saw the subject. (they did it a TON) Dr Who did it as well. (even with The Doctor (Capaldi))

The Office did it with that guy who talks to Pam at the work fair then he later comes back as their IT guy. It's possible he was the same character, but he wasn't supposed to be.

Sheryl Lee played Laura Palmer and her cousin.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-15-2022 at 08:21 PM.

I guess that American Horror Story would sort of count?

In spite of it being an anthology, it feels like a lot of it is taking place in a single "Universe..."

Larry David had quite a bit of cameos and voices in Seinfeld. Being the voice of Steinbrenner probably the most notable but he was also the first person to play Newman, as an unseen voice.

Astonishing Member

Days Of Our Lives.

Mighty Member

Law and Order. There are actors that have appeared as different characters on each of the various spin offs, sometimes more than once. Sometimes I see a new to me actor's filmography and I just laugh. Five or six trips back to the L+O verse aren't out of the question.

The obvious answer is Tatiana Maslany. Orphan Black was built on the premise.

Star Trek, as has been mentioned. Michael Dorn has played more than one Klingon (he's at Kirk's trial in ST6, maybe a Worf ancestor?). Jeffrey Combs is all over that franchise. He's been at least three characters that I can think of just off the top of my head. (Though he also had a fun episode of Babylon 5 as well, which always amuses me when I watch it.) Brent Spiner is every Soong relative ever, at this point, in addition to Data, Lore and their builder that started it all.

Doctor Who has a TON of these. Just since the '05 reboot you have Peter Capaldi, Freema Agyeman and Eve Myles among those who later played major parts after doing a guest bit. But a ton of the background actors see reuse as well.

Diana Muldaur played several different characters on Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation. Then there's William Campbell, who played Trelane in season one and the Klingon Captain Koloth in the Trouble With Tribbles episode.
    Watching television is not an activity.