Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Batman: The Knight #9 Preview

Batman: The Knight #9
    Writer: Chip Zdarsky
    Artist: Carmine Di Giandomenico

I feel like Ghost-Maker has half hijacked a Batman origin story.

Also...I don't think a young Bruce Wayne should be knowingly involved with Ra's Al Ghul yet. I'm sure we'll get a young Talia cameo too.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

This series started so well but quickly descended into exactly what I didn't want it to be.

I wanted to see Bruce actually train to become something greater. I wanted to see him struggle and face hardships and actively learn under trainers. I wanted to see Bruce put in the work and even question himself and his mission as the grind and hardships get too tough. God forbid, we see a kid pampered through his entire life actually experience real hardship and desperate need, then overcome it.

All we've been given is a series of mini adventures with a skill tree unlock/morality check at the end. Also, really dislike all the stuff from Bruce's future shoehorned in (I guess I shouldn't have been so happy to see Hugo Strange at the start).

I wanted to see the training of the guy who becomes Year One Batman. This is the guy who becomes Year Zero Batman. Both are fine ways to go, but I massively prefer one to the other.

It has been really fun but it's a shame as it could have been something great.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    This series started so well but quickly descended into exactly what I didn't want it to be.

I wanted to see Bruce actually train to become something greater. I wanted to see him struggle and face hardships and actively learn under trainers. I wanted to see Bruce put in the work and even question himself and his mission as the grind and hardships get too tough. God forbid, we see a kid pampered through his entire life actually experience real hardship and desperate need, then overcome it.

All we've been given is a series of mini adventures with a skill tree unlock/morality check at the end. Also, really dislike all the stuff from Bruce's future shoehorned in (I guess I shouldn't have been so happy to see Hugo Strange at the start).

I wanted to see the training of the guy who becomes Year One Batman. This is the guy who becomes Year Zero Batman. Both are fine ways to go, but I massively prefer one to the other.

It has been really fun but it's a shame as it could have been something great.
    I also don't think anyone was asking for Bruce and Ra's Al Ghul to meet...before they're actually supposed to meet.

Extraordinary Member

I've never liked the idea of Ra's having anything to do with his training or meeting before he kidnapped Dick (needless to say, this is one of my least favorite parts about the Nolan Trilogy). Among my other complaints about it, it's just too convenient.

I've enjoyed the series otherwise, though. Well, maybe with the exception of what's his face shoehorned in as his training partner.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I've never liked the idea of Ra's having anything to do with his training or meeting before he kidnapped Dick (needless to say, this is one of my least favorite parts about the Nolan Trilogy). Among my other complaints about it, it's just too convenient.

I've enjoyed the series otherwise, though. Well, maybe with the exception of what's his face shoehorned in as his training partner.
    Yeah, I don't know why people have jumped into this idea of Ra's being part of his training or early years. I mean, Gotham was one thing but I think it was first introduced in that American Alien series by Max Landis.

Extraordinary Member

And this might sound a bit edgelordy, but I also like the idea of Bruce wanting to make himself almost a sociopath at first, but then realizing just how bad of an idea that actually is.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I like Ghost-Maker, but I don't care for him being shoe horned into Batman's origin. And while I did enjoy the issue, having Bruce meet Ra's before Dick was kidnapped bothers me too.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I like Ghost-Maker, but I don't care for him being shoe horned into Batman's origin. And while I did enjoy the issue, having Bruce meet Ra's before Dick was kidnapped bothers me too.
    I see it more as an evolution of Bruce’s origin. The fact that they are mirrors of each other does kind of work for them as characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    I see it more as an evolution of Bruce’s origin. The fact that they are mirrors of each other does kind of work for them as characters.
    Yeah, but I don't think people are reading a Bruce Wayne origin comic for more on Ghost-Maker. At least I'm not.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why people have jumped into this idea of Ra's being part of his training or early years. I mean, Gotham was one thing but I think it was first introduced in that American Alien series by Max Landis.
    Batman Begins!

I personally think it's pretty cool. I hope Zdarsky talks about the change in history in his newsletter, though.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Batman Begins!

I personally think it's pretty cool. I hope Zdarsky talks about the change in history in his newsletter, though.
    I think it worked with Begins but Bruce's history with Ra's in the comics is different and there's an established first meeting with them that is much more iconic and pertinent.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it worked with Begins but Bruce's history with Ra's in the comics is different and there's an established first meeting with them that is much more iconic and pertinent.
    I respect Tales of the Demon, but I think retconning that makes sense, given how entwined Bruce's history with the Al Ghul family is now. It allows for an earlier conception of Damian and a younger Bruce.

But as I said, I do hope Zdarsky talks about it in his newsletter or an interview.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I respect Tales of the Demon, but I think retconning that makes sense, given how entwined Bruce's history with the Al Ghul family is now. It allows for an earlier conception of Damian and a younger Bruce.

But as I said, I do hope Zdarsky talks about it in his newsletter or an interview.
    I don't really see where it makes sense or is necessary if only because I'm used to Bruce meeting Talia -> Ra's -> and then becoming embroiled with that whole family through that as Batman. I don't really see the need for it to happen when he's young and training other than "EVERYTHING HAS TO BE CONNECTED!" especially when there isn't precedent for it.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

As I say about Zatanna, I consider it lazy and contrived to retcon it in. DC's world feels smaller and more contrived if all these people met and were integral to Bruce's journey.

I'm not a fan of retconning Bruce into this great savior (which isn't how I see Batman at all) that the universe conspires to bring about, instead of a boy who just wants to stop any other kids from losing their parents.

Batman Begins was a movie so it helps the viewer to see Ra's early on as he's revealed as the villain later. It doesn't work for me as longform comic book mythos.

It legit make sense that Ra's (as originally envisioned as Bond villain) would be aware of someone like Bruce travelling and accruing such skills but isn't it far more interesting that he kept that in his back pocket until Bruce became useful, rather than trying to recruit him early on? Ra's is supposed to be playing a long game.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!