Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Constantine 2

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I still don't think it needs to cost that much you don't need big CGI effects keep it simple.
    A proper Constantine film wouldn't need that many such effect. Raising the tension, emphasizing the horror aspect, showing less, a slow build to the big climax, that's how to do a good Constantine movie, whilst allowing Reeves to do whatever he wants as the character---he's good enough to figure that out.

Honestly, the first film wasn't my cup of tea; but it wasn't bad as a movie, though of course not all that true to the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    WB really have no idea what the hell they're doing.
    So, what else is new?
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Just watched the first film. It’s fine. Definitely a strange choice to come back to nearly 20 years later haha. Reeves just isn’t a great Constantine if you ask me. This is such a weird movie to get put into development, especially when they could have had a brand new show

Constantine is a decent supernatural flick but a terrible Constantine.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Yeah agreed. The character had some zingers that just didn’t land with Reeves acting them out. He was far too low energy.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Yeah agreed. The character had some zingers that just didn’t land with Reeves acting them out. He was far too low energy.
    Matt Ryan is a tad more over-the-top, and, IMO, Keanu's low-energy Constantine is probably a bit more accurate 'world-weary jaded' Constantine from the old Swamp Thing run.

Which is not the same as a more *interesting* Constantine, which Matt Ryan definitely is.

But really, Tilda Swanson and Djimon Hounsou and Peter Stromare's characters just ate up the scenes they were in, which, again, IMO, was part of why Keanu came across so low-energy, is that his performance, no matter how accurate to the comic book Constantine, kind of fell flat in the presence of the very charismatic and dynamic and compelling characters his co-stars were playing.

Matt Ryan, in Legends, goes a bit overboard (he was better-written in his own show, IMO), but at least he gets to be the one chewing the scenery, and not just standing around watching everybody else get the cool dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Matt Ryan is a tad more over-the-top, and, IMO, Keanu's low-energy Constantine is probably a bit more accurate 'world-weary jaded' Constantine from the old Swamp Thing run.

Which is not the same as a more *interesting* Constantine, which Matt Ryan definitely is.

But really, Tilda Swanson and Djimon Hounsou and Peter Stromare's characters just ate up the scenes they were in, which, again, IMO, was part of why Keanu came across so low-energy, is that his performance, no matter how accurate to the comic book Constantine, kind of fell flat in the presence of the very charismatic and dynamic and compelling characters his co-stars were playing.

Matt Ryan, in Legends, goes a bit overboard (he was better-written in his own show, IMO), but at least he gets to be the one chewing the scenery, and not just standing around watching everybody else get the cool dialogue.
    I liked the 2005 film and Keanu is a great actor, but he doesn't fit Constantine to me and I love Matt Ryan as the character. But honestly for a big screen version of Constantine I'd love to see David Tennant in the role.

so is this version going to be a "bastard"? will he be blonde? Is this one going to be non-straight? Just wondering about the various comics aspects of "traditional" John Constantine that will inevitably have boycotts happening if they aren't included in the new film.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 09-17-2022 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Good news to me. Loved the original 2005 movie.

Hey maybe the villain should be a resurrected Balthazar.
    I want Papa Midnite as the villein myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Other than not being from the UK or being blonde I thought he was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    that movie was pretty much forgotten anyway.
    Forgotten? It has a huge flowing fan's have wanted another movie for awhile now he made a cameo in the comics O ya and they just greenlet Constantine 2 after 17 years say what you about the movie but it definitely wasn't forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so is this version going to be a "bastard"? will he be blonde? Is this one going to be non-straight? Just wondering about the various comics aspects of "traditional" John Constantine that will inevitably have boycotts happening if they aren't included in the new film.
    It will probably be the same take as last time. He might be bisexual but I don't see him with blonde hair.

Great news! The original is, as they said in the article, a cult classic of a movie.

Are they going to have him smoke? A lot has changed in the past 20 years and smoking is now basically worse that killing puppies with a lawnmower.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Great news! The original is, as they said in the article, a cult classic of a movie.

Are they going to have him smoke? A lot has changed in the past 20 years and smoking is now basically worse that killing puppies with a lawnmower.
    Maybe he'll vape.

When the first movie came out I was very much against it because Keanu is neither blonde nor British. But it’s actually a great flick.

It does still make me laugh (shake my head) at how Hollywood works. Someone wrote a great Constantine script and amazingly it got the green light. Everything is going surprisingly well and then some producer who knew nothing of the source material says “hey, how about Keanu for the lead?”.