Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Constantine 2

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I want Papa Midnite as the villein myself.
    Housou was great, but I'm not sure I want him as a straight up villain or in his more typical protagonist / frenemy / reluctant-ally-that-hates-your-guts role.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm pro this but will believe it when it has opening night.
    Despite having Keanu attached the way things have been operating at Warners/Discovery has me leary it is just a announcement. One that may not have full throttle followup behind it.

Besides, they've told us they want one over arching leader(their Kevin Feige) to guide a 10 year plan, and this just gets tossed out there??
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I'm pro this but will believe it when it has opening night.
    Despite having Keanu attached the way things have been operating at Warners/Discovery has me leary it is just a announcement. One that may not have full throttle followup behind it.
    They cancelled shows with POC leads and are putting their bucks behind a show with a big name white(ish) guy who they think can deliver the blockbuster Marvel money (that they totally haven't earned)? I totally believe it.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

Besides, they've told us they want one over arching leader(their Kevin Feige) to guide a 10 year plan, and this just gets tossed out there??
    This increasingly seems the kind of thing they say to impress audiences and investors, but have no actual interest in doing. If WB's Feige manages to make the DCU a successful, working shared universe, if not at Marvel's level, at least comparable, then he gets all the credit, and becomes too important, more than the CEO himself. If whoever they choose leaves because of interference and disagreements, the CEO gets all the blame. Zaslav saw what happened to Perlmutter and Feige and I doubt he wants the same to happen to him.

It could be good if they had a singular voice for their media, but wasn't that supposed to be Geoff Johns at one point? Didn't work out so well.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    It could be good if they had a singular voice for their media, but wasn't that supposed to be Geoff Johns at one point? Didn't work out so well.
    I thought that's what Nolan was supposed to be.(in terms of movies anyway)

WBD is in massive debt so they’re going to take as little risk as possible with everything going forward. There’s potentially a lot of money to be made with DC’s great lineup of supernatural characters. The 2005 Constantine is generally well liked and Keanu is one of the most loved stars in Hollywood. This was a no brainer.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I thought that's what Nolan was supposed to be.(in terms of movies anyway)
    Nolan didn't really do all that much, seemed he only put his name on Man od Steel to add credibility and get a big paycheck
    Johns was sort of that guy, but Snyder really was the one being the big creative force.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    WBD is in massive debt so they’re going to take as little risk as possible with everything going forward. There’s potentially a lot of money to be made with DC’s great lineup of supernatural characters. The 2005 Constantine is generally well liked and Keanu is one of the most loved stars in Hollywood. This was a no brainer.
    Exactly. The 2005 film a modest hit, but at least it is a proven property. Keanu's increased profile and profitability at the box office is why they obviously taken a punt to do a sequel now. They need a hit and this has a strong chance of delivering.

I just have my fingers crossed that they realize Keanu is the big draw and not big CGI nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Exactly. The 2005 film a modest hit, but at least it is a proven property. Keanu's increased profile and profitability at the box office is why they obviously taken a punt to do a sequel now. They need a hit and this has a strong chance of delivering.
    Agreed. What worked for me was that I thought the character was perfect for Keanu, with his low key fairly non-animated acting abilities. John Constantine is supposed to be a guy who doesn't ever panic, even in the face of incredible rudeness. And Keanu delivered that.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so is this version going to be a "bastard"? will he be blonde? Is this one going to be non-straight? Just wondering about the various comics aspects of "traditional" John Constantine that will inevitably have boycotts happening if they aren't included in the new film.
    Will he try using a British accent?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    He didn't in the first one so no reason to do so now. Keep symmetry with the first one in terms of accent.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

What even is this timeline? Constantine could have a sequel before Man of Steel? Hell, we might see Keanu as Constantine again *before* seeing Keaton return as Batman.

I enjoyed the first movie, still have it on DVD. I only really know comic John from guest appearances in other things. But the movie version was interesting and likeable. I understand that CW's version is much closer...but to me he comes off as too cartoonish, too much of a try-hard at times. Maybe that *is* how comic John acts but I don't think it flies in live action very easily. Keanu isn't a very showy actor, to say the least, and I think that works for this bitter, sardonic borderline nihilist freelance wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    For the love of God, no! Have you seen Dracula!?