Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Gargoyles

Astonishing Member

How is people getting issue 11 and 12 so early. Those issues keep getting delayed according to league of geek. I have a subscription.

Mighty Member

Issue 11 was delayed to January, but since it was relatively late, Kindle probably wasn't updated on time. It was available to purchase for a few hours before it was taken down. Issue 12 is not available yet.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Mighty Member

Dynamite Entertainment set up a Kickstarter to fund the reprints of the old Marvel and Slave Labor Graphics comic runs. They will come in paperback, hardcover, signed hardcover, and deluxe versions.

The Kickstarter's already funded, but there's still plenty of time to order. I'm getting the standard hardcovers myself.

I'm getting the first three trades .

Niffleheim

I watched a livestream GW promoting Spectacular Spider-Men and he mentioned at the end when plugging his projects that after Gargoyles Quest another Gargoyles book will be launched.

https://twitter.com/spideyduderadio/...00949908013072
    Last edited by Tofali; 01-18-2024 at 06:54 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I watched livestream with GW promoting Spectacular Spider-Men and he mentioned at the end when plugging his projects that after Gargoyles Quest another Gargoyles book will be launched.

https://twitter.com/spideyduderadio/...00949908013072
    It sounds like they're relaunching the main series. I'm just glad we're getting more stories, especially throughout this year.

Incredible Member

These prices are....something. I mean, if you just want to get the SLG trades - Gargoyles and Bad Guys - how much is that? All the tiers are confusing me...

Ah yes, even Gargoyles lives in an age of relaunches .

Incredible Member

I've caught myself up on the recent issues of the main title (up to 11) and have a few questions.

Why did Goliath's attorney call Elisa? I know it gave us the dramatic moment of her stating their love, but logically she was only ever going to seem like an obsessed weirdo for saying she's in love with him. Did it really help his case?

Had we met the defense attorney character before? Perhaps in the Slave Labor Graphics books, if not the show? And same question for Brooklyn's mate - where did she debut? Because she wasn't in the "Bushido" episode...

Niffleheim

It felt like an episode of Star Trek TNG "The Measure of a Man" where Tasha Yar was just given lines instead being a hologram. She served no purpose in the argument of giving Goliath standing as a sentient being.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Mighty Member

Dark Ages #5 released early a while back on digital, but I wanted to wait for the physical version this time before talking about it.

This was an excellent issue that balanced so much, yet so seamlessly, from Angel and Desdemona continuing their education with their respective mentors to the Light-Bringers and Brother Valdez seeming more suspicious, and now the rooklings and Alesand having an adventure underneath Wyvern Hill.

I have to say I was impressed with the first appearance of a dragon in the show's world. Drew Moss's spread reveal was great, especially with how small the children are in comparison. I'm glad I waited until the paper comic to enjoy that. Interesting that he's close species-wise to the gargoyles, even having his own version of stone sleep and considering the clan above his "cousins". He seems to share Angel's future bitterness towards humans, though, and flies off in a fury.

The trio as children are endearing, but I'm curious as to how Antiope knew so much about the dragon, the ghost cage, and the cave in general. And there's some fun character bits too, like Alexander's curiosity with the catapult, Mentor's growing friendship with Malcolm, and Angel's reading lessons. "The Scorpion and the Frog" certainly describes her future relationships, while "Bell the Cat" says a lot about how she sees herself and her future mission to eradicate humans.

My only problem with the issue is that the story segment for The Tale of the Three Brothers wasn't as interesting, but it's a minor thing. Overall, I can't believe this mini-series is about to end. I wish it had lasted at least another arc, but I've been enjoying my time with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Why did Goliath's attorney call Elisa? I know it gave us the dramatic moment of her stating their love, but logically she was only ever going to seem like an obsessed weirdo for saying she's in love with him. Did it really help his case?

Had we met the defense attorney character before? Perhaps in the Slave Labor Graphics books, if not the show? And same question for Brooklyn's mate - where did she debut? Because she wasn't in the "Bushido" episode...
    Ignoring the fact that the judge was already bribed in Goliath's favor, perhaps he wanted to show that Goliath can form meaningful relationships with humans and anyone outside his clan, and Elisa fits that the best. Halcyon Renard already testified and had the baggage that he helped the Task Force. Matt Bluestone wasn't as close yet and Jeffrey Robbins is Hudson's friend, not Goliath's. It helps that she stuck to talking about him as a person and not fetishizing his inhuman nature.

Tobe Crest is new to the Dynamite comic. Katana debuts in the SLG books, though she'd probably be a proper character in Timedancer, if that ever gets made.

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

We are back! We discuss the current Kickstarter Campaign Dynamite Comics is running to bring back the Gargoyles comics published by Marvel in the 90's (featuring art by Amanda Conner!) and the canon Gargoyles comics published by SLG in the aughts; and we're joined by Gargoyles' colorist, Robby Bevard; Bad Guys artist, Karine Charlebois; and series creator, Greg Weisman!!!

But we need your help! As of this posting, Greg Weisman's Twitter account is still hacked, so he has been unable to use that platform to spread the word! So we need you, the fans, to come in! Spread the word! Participate in the Kickstarter! Figure out which version of the books works best for you! And let's show Disney that this is a viable property! Not just a little property with a small cult following, but something truly viable! So spread the word! Reach out to anyone you know who would be interested! Tell them about this Kickstarter! Tell them about the comics! And tell them about our podcast!

We then give our First Impressions on Gargoyles #11 and Dark Ages #5! It's the penultimate issues for both series before Gargoyles Quest kicks off in the coming weeks! Comic book spoiler talk begins at 25:21 and ends at 49:38.

Finally, Greg Weisman delivers his State of the Franchise Address! Where we've been, what we've accomplished, and what we have to look forward to for the 30th Anniversary! More comics! A convention get-together and maybe even more than that!

Incredible Member

I'm very happy for Greg - and us - that Gargoyles is finally back up on its feet and getting new comics and toys...

...but I am confused by the Marvel and SLG books coming out through a Kickstarter. Couldn't Dynamite just sell them as trades, with the option of them being sold together in hardcover volumes, or as autographed versions?

Why number them as "1, 2, 3" when the first volume isnt canon and people may only want to buy one volume? Labeling them "Marvel Adventures", "Clan Building" and something else for Bad Guys would have suffuced....no?

Lastly, the SLG issues had some really iffy artwork, which was partly why the book didn't bowl people over. The aftermarket value of those original trades is all about how difficult they were to find...not how besutiful they looked (save for a few issues later in the run, once they started to course-correct). If they'd "remastered" the more underwhelming issues by having someone redraw them, then I could definitely understand going thr kickstarter route and/or charging more...

But right now, I'm confused by the approach to getting these on the market and by the prices as well. They've made it so you either buy all three or have an "incomplete" set.

Is there some reason the two original SLG trades couldn't just have been rereleased for 20 bucks each through the usual channels?

Astonishing Member

Another video interview with Greg.

Astonishing Member

I see the first Dynamite trade "Here In Manhattan" has been pushed back again. Now its scheduled for late March.

Does anyone know why Dynamite keeps delaying the release of the trade? It was originally due to be released last year...and then then it got bumped to January. Then late February. Now late March. I don't get it.