Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Gargoyles

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I would assume BAD GUYS would still be in black and white since that was how it was designed -- it was an intentional style choice. I hope to see some new adventures of the Redemption Squad in colour, but I don't think it would really make a lot of sense to add colour into art that was designed and shaded to be black and white on purpose.
    It really wouldn't. It was drawn, inked, and toned for black and white.

Incredible Member

How so?

Seriously, what about the story demands it be told in black and white?

It seemed at the time a cost-cutting measure.

I think I already prefer the art to The Quest than to the prior ongoing.

Demona might hate it but Dominique Destine cuts quite the striking figure.

Goliath being a public figure is going to take some getting used to, and Elisa is getting more attention than she bargained for and trying to manage not having a job while on suspension. Her and Goliath's relationship is now under scrutiny as well...and does she have cosplayers!?

I wonder if the scene with the "kids" is going to build up to something.

Sweet scene between Hudson and Nashville's egg.

Will we ever see this Commitment Ceremony? Seems like they're planning to invite near everyone. I wonder if Coldstone is going bring it up to Demona at all...but they really don't have that kind of relationship.

Oh hey, Vinnie! And Goliath finally learns his name!

Not often someone has Thailog do something for them but I'm curious if Thailog and Demona's mutual plans will intersect and come together in this mini, even though the Manhattan Clan is mostly going to be dealing with Demona's plot.

Mighty Member

Gargoyles Quest is off to a great start! It really feels less like a mini-series and more like Issue #13 with all the threads it picks up from Here in Manhattan, from Demona, Antoinette, and Coldstone continuing their plan, the consequences of Goliath's court hearing, Broadway and Angela's commitment ceremony, etc. I understand why comic companies relaunch comic series, but I really wish this was just a continuation from that.

I feel like this issue did a great job balancing all the subplots and advancing them. Still, we also got some great character moments. The rivalry with Elisa and Antoinette is fun and it gives the latter more personality now that we know her true colors. Angela asking about Demona makes me wonder if the latter will find out (maybe via Coldstone?). The tribute of The Gathering was cute and I especially liked seeing Vinnie again. My favorite, though, is Hudson visiting the egg. It's a very touching scene, especially after reading Gargoyles: Dark Ages. It helps that it's very well-drawn and lit.

This brings me to my next point: Pasquale Qualano does a great job so far in this series. I feel like he strikes a great balance between being grounded and stylizing the characters a bit. The colors by Giovanna la Pietra and Valeria Verdi also look great. It's probably my favorite art work in these comics yet. I especially like how Demona, Hudson, Broadway, Bronx, and even Owen look. Goliath and Thailog are a little funky, but that's all I can nitpick.

Well, if I have other nitpicks: I felt like Elisa's dialogue with Antoinette felt a little too much like exposition-speak. Also, the "hug" gag with the Gathering crowd kind of overstayed its welcome, but that's really it.

One final thought: I love that they threw in Thailog (and Brentwood and Shari) into the mix. I thought this would just be Demona and her crew vs. the Manhattan Clan, but this makes the conflict more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if the scene with the "kids" is going to build up to something.
    Lex and Gnash? I didn't think much of it, but Owen observing them is eerie. Glad that he shows off his stone hand, at least.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022