Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Gargoyles

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Voices From the Eyrie View Post
    Not our show, but Greg Weisman just did a lengthy interview about the Dynamite Gargoyles comic for the DuckTalks show.

Things sound pretty optimistic for a long, healthy run.

Also, George Kambadais posted some preview art for #8

https://twitter.com/GeorgeKambadais/...16059464941570
    I'm VERY intrigued with the tease around the 8:00 mark. I wonder what the third project will be.

And of course Wolf brought his friends along for the break-out.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    I'm VERY intrigued with the tease around the 8:00 mark. I wonder what the third project will be.

And of course Wolf brought his friends along for the break-out.
    Fingers and Toes Crossed, I'm hoping it's "Timedancer"!!!!

Mighty Member

Preview for Issue 7, coming this July 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Preview for Issue 7, coming this July 5th.
    Demona is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Demona is back!
    Awesome! Totally looking forward to it

Mighty Member

Got to read the latest issue and Demona makes quite an entrance.

spoilers:
    I can see why Greg Weisman called this a great jumping on point since it's partly a story recap on the events of the comic (and beyond) so far, using Demona as not only the narrator but also the framing device that shows her catching up on all the subplots in the story via a spell from the Grimorum Arcanorum and robotic mosquitos. So, this issue is less action-packed than the others and our outgoing plots slow down a bit. I honestly don't mind it since we're at the halfway point of Here in Manhattan and much has happened since. There's even some good reminders on the fates of the original Three Keys to Power (Grimorum, the Eye of Odin, Phoenix Gate).

Of course, that doesn't mean the issue is uneventful. We get a meeting between Goliath and his defense attorney, Tobe Crest. Right away, it's obvious that besides Crest being hired to defend Goliath, he's also quite sympathetic to Goliath's civil rights as a Black man. It's a bit heavy handed but I appreciate the good relationship between the men. I'm curious to see who else besides Halcyon could step in to speak on Goliath's defense. I know he wants Elisa to stay out of it, but I doubt he'll have that choice. Also, I'm once again wondering who hired Crest. Xanatos reassured the clan last issue that Goliath's legal defense was taken care of, not that HE took care of it. And Demona also brought up a great point that this party may intend to collect a favor from Goliath.

The only action sequence in this issue has Broadway and Lexington saving mob boss Izaak Slaughter from drones manned by Glasses. Nothing much to comment on beyond it being nice to Lex's tech-savvy save the day. I have a feeling that Broadway may reluctantly ask Slaughter for that favor one day. And although Lex and Broadway did the right thing, it does leave Brooklyn impotent as the current leader. He really needs to have a talk with the others about their new dynamic before it's too late.

Perhaps the most interesting part is the reveal of what Demona's seeing spell is also doing. The Three Keys are out of commission, but as we've seen in other Weisman-led shows, nature abhors a vacuum and all that power has to go somewhere. So, there's NEW keys for Demona to seize. Sometimes I wish I didn't read the solicits because it would've been better to find that out on my own. The ones for the next few issues are more vague, which makes we wonder if Demona's quest will be an ongoing subplot. Oh, and and this isn't brought up too much in the show, but Demona is also observing Brooklyn and Katana's egg. So, yes, she knows about it.
    end of spoilers

My art highlights mostly involve Demona. I liked the opening sequence of her as Dominique Destine, driving a nice car to her hideout. I also liked the transformation sequence and how George Kambadais draws Demona in general.
    Last edited by GamerSlyRatchet; 07-05-2023 at 05:48 PM.

spoilers:
    I guess you've always got to bring Demona back in a big way and showing her reflecting on the events of the comic and using that to spin out her own sinister plot fits the bill.

So I guess now that Xanatos is more or less on the Gargoyles' side Dino is the new "plans within plans" guy who still wins even when he's seemingly set back. Well, him and Thailog.

Glad we got some classic Gargoyles action with Broadway and Lexington. Lexington and Glasses could be interesting rivals if the story spins them that way.

Ah, yes, the classic "diverse lawyer stands up for 'the other' in a trial" character, but Tobe seems cool. I really thought Xanatos hired him, so I'm wondering what's going on here.

Between Elisa and Matt, I wonder who is more likely to end up on the stand?

Did Brooklyn really just say "reprobates?" I liked Hudson looking on with pride at Lexington and Broadway's success though.

I guess we know what Demona's main plot will be. So we've got Dino trying to take over the underworld, Demona looking for power to eradicate humans, Thailog doing something with the illuminati...I guess that about covers the current ongoing stories? Well, other than Goliath's trial.
    end of spoilers

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

Gargoyles: Dark Ages #1 came out this last week. A good beginning, looking forward to seeing where this goes. Love seeing younger versions of old favorites, and loving the new faces.

Mighty Member

I liked the first issue of Dark Ages. I enjoyed learning about the Wyvern Clan from the time the first official alliance between the gargoyles and humans. I also really enjoyed the art.

At San Diego Comic Con (but also spoiled via the solicits), a special issue was announced called Gargoyles Halloween Special. Gnash will be the main character. Here are a couple more covers.
    Last edited by GamerSlyRatchet; 07-25-2023 at 12:58 AM.

Incredible Member

Didn't know about the Halloween issue! Thanks for spreading the word.

Dark Ages #1 was very strong. Much more straightforward storytelling than in the main book, with all the different narrators. The art was cleaner too. A much more engaging read overall, especially since we know certain characters are not likely to survive.

I was told by one CBG that his customers stopped reading the main series by issue 5. I want this book to have a long healthy life, so I hope it can tidy things up a bit.

Astonishing Member

so enjoy the issue today, what you think. I like the Goliath vs Pack fight, definitely the highlight.

Any one else betting Xanatos arranged this hit on Brod as a why of making Goliath look good in the eyes of the law.

I have my doubts about the Dracons hiring the Pack and if they did don’t they know Goliath’s stony secret? I have trouble believing they would risk him getting involved in any hit that took place after sundown. This reeks of a Xanatos manipulation
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Any one else betting Xanatos arranged this hit on Brod as a why of making Goliath look good in the eyes of the law.

I have my doubts about the Dracons hiring the Pack and if they did don’t they know Goliath’s stony secret? I have trouble believing they would risk him getting involved in any hit that took place after sundown. This reeks of a Xanatos manipulation
    I don't think the Dracons knew the secret until Goliath's capture. The gargoyles themselves didn't go around advertising it, Brod admitted he wasn't aware. And no where does it say that the Dracons hired the Pack to do this.

But we saw the set up, Grisha Volkov, Wolf's dad, sent Wolf to kill Brod after the failed hit on him (manipulation by Dino Dracon). Dino then authorized the hit since his nephew is currently sharing a cell with him... and he obviously doesn't care about Tony.

Mighty Member

Issue 8 took a very interesting approach by having Coldfire narrate, especially considering her status as a gargoyle reborn as an android. I'd argue she and Coldstone are overdue for some focus since they're both underexplored despite being part of the Manhattan Clan. However, I do wish there was a stronger narrative tie to the story, since it feels more like re-introducing her to readers. Still, I hope we get some focus on other underused characters like Coldstone, Katana, Gnash, and maybe even another villain or two. Oh, and poor Lexington, of course.

I think my only other disappointment with the issue was how quickly the Pack went down after their long-awaited return. Goliath vs. Wolf was fun, but Jackal and Hyena went down too easy. Maybe Goliath had some pent up anger he wanted to release, but still. The character development within Riker's was fun. I wasn't expecting the sadistic guard (Renqvist) to actually listen to reason and free Goliath to stop the Pack. Brod was pretty pragmatic and cold when Wolf threatened him. And it felt like Tony Dracon had a small sense of admiration for Goliath choosing to stay in prison. I wonder if between his recent experiences and Wolf spilling the beans about Dino means he'll start to rethink his life.

Speaking of smart moves, Izaak Slaughter puts it together how the other mob bosses tie into the recent assassination attempt, but it seems too convenient to him, and he'd be right. Out of the mob bosses introduced in this series, he's been growing on me the most. I'm wondering if his role will help end or worse the gang war. And Lexington and Broadway get an earful from Brooklyn for sneaking out to save his life. I feel bad for him for struggling to be a leader, but I wonder if it's even the right role for him. Maybe he'll need to change his approach, but he's also too old to be Goliath's second, so we'll see.

Honestly it kind of slipped my mind that this is still set in 1997 .