Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Gargoyles

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Cool! Think you could ask him if he ever thought about a Gargoyles crossover? Canonical or not, just for the fun of it. Could be Marvel, DC, or even TMNT.
    We've already recorded it...

... but he's answered that question many times and he's said several times that he'd prefer to keep "Gargoyles" as its own thing, not crossing over with other universes.

Astonishing Member

Man, if it weren't for the ponytail, i would mistake Xanatos for modern day Tony Stark, especially when you see him inside the armor he uses and operating it with the specs and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Voices From the Eyrie View Post
    We've already recorded it...

... but he's answered that question many times and he's said several times that he'd prefer to keep "Gargoyles" as its own thing, not crossing over with other universes.
    Alas, that tis unfortunate.

Mighty Member

I finished this issue earlier than I expected. Overall enjoyed it. I'll spoiler tag this one, just in case.

spoilers:
    I digged that Broadway was the narrator in this one and that it brought back some of his detective training. He makes some good deductions on who kidnapped the baby. I do wish this had been more of a straightforward detective mystery. We already know who the culprit is, but it would've been fun to see him piece it together rather than just blurting out the answers. I did smile at Xanatos immediately figuring it out, but letting him come to the conclusions. I also wish that he and Angela had been more active narrators like Elisa was in the first issue, but alas. My favorite part of the issue is the team-up between the heroes and Xanatos. The banter felt very in-character and fun, especially once they confront Thailog and Sevarius, who feel deliciously evil. I also liked smaller touches like Goliath complementing Angela or Broadway and Angela already contemplating a child.

I enjoyed the brief scene between the various New York mob bosses discussing the release of Dino Dracon. I hope this guy lives up to the hype. The series has its fair share of major villains, but it'll be fun to see more of New York's underworld come into play. Their summit brought me back specifically to the days of Netflix Daredevil, but Weisman has also tackled similar stuff in The Spectacular Spider-Man and more recently, Catwoman: Hunted. It's just a trope I'm fond of.

The art style continues to be a mixed bag for me. I like the lighting and atmosphere, and the non-human characters are perfect, but the humans feel less so. The final fight felt anti-climatic, though I did enjoy Thailog's expressions, especially when he gets disappointed about the baby being seemingly human and kicks everyone out.

And can I just say how satisfying it is to see the plotline with baby Michael Peter Maza come to fruition? Maggie's pregnancy was first hinted back during the SLG run and remained unresolved for roughly 15 years. I wonder if he will display more mutate traits as he grows older. Even if he doesn't, his inheritance of Talon's powers is interesting in itself.
    end of spoilers
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Man, if it weren't for the ponytail, i would mistake Xanatos for modern day Tony Stark, especially when you see him inside the armor he uses and operating it with the specs and stuff.
    I know, right?! For what it's worth, I've always liked the design ever since it first appeared in the animated series.

I thought this issue came to a relatively clean conclusion despite all the characters involved and how anti-climactic the big fight and resolution were.

Although Weisman loves the "conflict only ends because the villain got what they wanted or didn't so they just basically kill the fight" trope .

Incredible Member

Man oh man, K7P5V, those gifs and art remind me just how beautiful the series could be...

...speaking of art, Voices, has Greg made any statements about the art in the book? Was it beyond his control who was chosen to illustrate the book, or did he push for the current artist?

So, issue three did wrap things up rather well. Sure, it was a simple story ultimately, but that's exactly what was needed for this first arc. I did feel like the non-reaction could have been given some more space to register, but no big complaints.

I'm still totally lost as to what was going on during the "blackout" sequence in the second issue. I'm starting to think the art just failed to communicate whatever the script was aiming for. I wondered if it was deliberately drawn to be confusing at first, since Greg does like to do reveals later on, but now I'm thinking we were just supposed to "get" something...and we couldn't.

The art style really needs to change to something "cleaner" and more akin to the show. Yes, the lighting effects are nice and all, but I'll gladly trade those in for characters looking on-model.

I'm not too interested in the mob family. How many of these characters were already seen on the show again? I remembered Glasses, but none of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    ...speaking of art, Voices, has Greg made any statements about the art in the book? Was it beyond his control who was chosen to illustrate the book, or did he push for the current artist?
    Well, you could give us a listen and find out. But we'll spare you because the statements Greg has made are how brilliant he believes George is, how professional he is, how fast, how much he loves working with him... and us, the two co-hosts agree with him. We think George Kambadais's art is brilliant, kinetic, beautiful, he really captures motion.

We're loving this book, art and all, and we 're not just saying this because Weisman is a regular feature on our show. Because we're not going to be complimentary on the art when we get to David Hedgecock's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Alas, that tis unfortunate.
    This might make you happy: https://twitter.com/Greg_Weisman/sta...75893731692544

He's in favor of occassional crossovers for fun. But not merging universes.

Screenshot_20230228-182410_Chrome.jpg

And here's something to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Voices From the Eyrie View Post
    This might make you happy: https://twitter.com/Greg_Weisman/sta...75893731692544

He's in favor of occassional crossovers for fun. But not merging universes.
    Fair enough, and I would love to see those.

Mighty Member

The initial announcement made it sound like we'd get more than one new comic, so I'm excited for this. I'm partial to 2198 or Timedancer, but any of these would be fun.

Extraordinary Member

Gargoyles #4 Preview
    Writer: Greg Weisman
    Artist: George Kambadais

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought this issue came to a relatively clean conclusion despite all the characters involved and how anti-climactic the big fight and resolution were.

Although Weisman loves the "conflict only ends because the villain got what they wanted or didn't so they just basically kill the fight" trope .
    As much as people rag on that..... it has merit. Combat is about goals.... if your goal as a villain isn't to kill the heroes, then it makes sense for you to bail as soon as stuff happens.

Mighty Member

First, I should mention that Michael Reaves, who worked in the series as a story editor and writer, passed away a couple of days ago. He's also known for his work on Batman: The Animated Series and other beloved series. He will be greatly missed.

My thoughts on Issue 4.

spoilers:
    We finally get Dino Dracon and so far, he's living up to the hype. He seems clever and thoughtful, but also has a hot temper that could get him in trouble if he's not careful with it. I like his design, with his hair basically being reversed from Tony's. I do respect Glasses, Antoinette, and Dominic for providing some slight push back without setting him off.

My favorite part of the issue is getting some well-needed perspective from Goliath and Hudson, specifically how distant the Manhattan Clan has been due to the developments following "Hunter's Moon". I figured something was off since the first issue, but now we get to actually explore that. I was especially interested in Brooklyn and Katana teaching Gnash about history, even if they've seen glimpses of it while Timedancing. I hope we get the reveal of what Lexington's been up to soon. I have a very strong guess and it's a development I've been eagerly awaiting for.

Speaking of paying off decades-long plot points, we got to meet "Pete and Rosey". Way back in season 2 episode "High Noon", Hudson and Broadway read a newspaper article about teens Peter Choi and Rosaria Sanchez rescuing a child named Ollie. Greg Weisman has alluded that this was a planned plotline and now we finally get to see it here. And though we don't get the couple's last names, we do learn that Yingpei and Huracan's last names are Choi and Sanchez. So, yes, there's a good reason their meeting had to be secret and their kidnapping is about to unleash a world of trouble.

I do wonder what the masked goons' game is since, as Goliath mentions, their masks won't fool anyone. Although Goliath guesses that the helicopters who hunt and capture him belong to the Quarrymen, I'm not so sure. They seemed just a bit sloppy when talking to him, like they had no experience. And is the shadowy figure that was watching the news reports Halcyon Renard? Because that outline seemed familiar.

My only nitpick (and this is a nitpick) is the blasts from the laser guns looking kind of off. But otherwise, I was very happy with George Kambadais's art this month.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by GamerSlyRatchet; 03-22-2023 at 08:50 PM.