Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Is it not safe to assume that the Nth metal would prevent, or at least slow down Mera's ability to extract the water from their bodies? It's focus seems to be on a general enhancing and safeguarding of the body. I doubt she just dehydrates the Hawks in the blink of an eye. And they'd scarcely need more than that before charging her and quickly drawing her focus to more pressing matters.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    it's a slow day so i decided to see what the rest of you guys think.

so who would win in a straight out brawl? who is stronger? smarter?

and of course where should the fight be held for it to be considered fair? does the nth metal let the hawks breath underwater?

i was thinking of other couples to join the fight, but including clark and diana just doesn't seemed fair.
    Pre-52, I would say Aquaman and Mera in pretty much all versions. Post 52, Aquaman has gotten a massive boost in power and now can hang with Superman and Wondy. The Hawks are even more toast.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frost Warning View Post
    The New 52 Hawkman needs to bring the battle to space to win, since he can survive there and Aquaman and Mera can't. This is might be enough of an advantage to beat Aquaman alone, but not Mera (I think her powers are harder to restrain long enough to do this). No version of Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman has any advantage here. Aquaman and Mera win.
    I think the Hawkworld version of Hawkwoman could be an asset in this fight. Her Thanagarian firearms were enough to bypass Wonder Woman's braclets. If she comes out guns blazing (which she'll do 10/10 times) she could potential take out Mera or Aquaman so that she and her partner could gang up on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Is it not safe to assume that the Nth metal would prevent, or at least slow down Mera's ability to extract the water from their bodies? It's focus seems to be on a general enhancing and safeguarding of the body. I doubt she just dehydrates the Hawks in the blink of an eye. And they'd scarcely need more than that before charging her and quickly drawing her focus to more pressing matters.
    Its a good question, but I think we have only to look at whether or not Hawkman has bled. The Nth metal heals and helps safeguard him, but if he can bleed, it seems to me Mera could dehydrate him.

The only thing would be if she could do it fast enough to drop him before he (or Shay) retaliate and break her concentration. But that's what Aquaman is for, and while I dont think he could easily take either Hawk in a straight up first fight (they're just way to brutal) he's more than capable of holding them both off long enough for Mera to do her thing. And considering the massive amounts of water she's able to manipulate, even if the Nth metal did push back against her, I doubt it would be enough.

However, I have to admit I havent read much of the 52 Hawkman (first trade's worth of issues and JLA), so for all I really know, he got a major power upgrade later on.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    I think the Hawkworld version of Hawkwoman could be an asset in this fight. Her Thanagarian firearms were enough to bypass Wonder Woman's braclets. If she comes out guns blazing (which she'll do 10/10 times) she could potential take out Mera or Aquaman so that she and her partner could gang up on the other.
    Hawkworld is the best Hawk version! And you're right, those firearms could (maybe) turn the fight to the Hawks' favor. It would depend I think, on how Orin and Mera react to having the guns pulled on them. We've seen Orin stand still and take bullets to the head, but he's not capable of withstanding high-end weaponry like the Hawks pistols. So would he recognize them as weapons he doesnt want to just shrug off? If so, I think he's quick enough to avoid getting shot long long enough for Mera to apply her hydrokinesis while also presenting enough of a threat that the Hawks would have to focus on him. Orin might end up dead with a hole in his head but I think he could do it (the Hawks are damned quick too, after all). All Mera needs is a few seconds, after all. But no matter what, the guns would give the Hawks a real fighting chance.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Its a good question, but I think we have only to look at whether or not Hawkman has bled. The Nth metal heals and helps safeguard him, but if he can bleed, it seems to me Mera could dehydrate him.

The only thing would be if she could do it fast enough to drop him before he (or Shay) retaliate and break her concentration. But that's what Aquaman is for, and while I dont think he could easily take either Hawk in a straight up first fight (they're just way to brutal) he's more than capable of holding them both off long enough for Mera to do her thing. And considering the massive amounts of water she's able to manipulate, even if the Nth metal did push back against her, I doubt it would be enough.

However, I have to admit I havent read much of the 52 Hawkman (first trade's worth of issues and JLA), so for all I really know, he got a major power upgrade later on.
    That's a good point. Hmm, well he certainly has bled. But manually breaking the skin seems to me like it would be different to just extracting all the H2O from his body. I'd expect him to be at least more resistant than the average Joe and quite quick at closing the distance and turning it into a matter of combat skill.

How has Hawkman fared against other "big guns" in the DC Universe? Has he ever taken down a top or semi-top tier "big gun"/"heavy hitter"?

(I see people are ignoring my panel in which Hawkman blatantly bests Aquaman in a 1-on-1 fight by the water. Come at me.)

Incredible Member

That's a good point. Hmm, well he certainly has bled. But manually breaking the skin seems to me like it would be different to just extracting all the H2O from his body. I'd expect him to be at least more resistant than the average Joe and quite quick at closing the distance and turning it into a matter of combat skill.

How has Hawkman fared against other "big guns" in the DC Universe? Has he ever taken down a top or semi-top tier "big gun"/"heavy hitter"?

(I see people are ignoring my panel in which Hawkman blatantly bests Aquaman in a 1-on-1 fight by the water. Come at me.)
    hawkman did manage to last a few rounds against black adam. and at that time, black adam managed to take down the jsa.

aganist aquaman and mera though, another factor to consider is which team is better in fighting together. arthur and mera are powerhouses but i think the hawks have better team fighting skills.

Not ignoring the pages you linked, but both characters are written differently with different power levels now.

And yeah, he should be at least somewhat resistant to Mera's powers, but I doubt he'd be immune, and as she can control entire tidal waves, I doubt Hawkman has enough resistance for it to really matter.

I love the Hawks, but they're just outclassed here, due entirely to Mera. In a one-on-one fight, I'd give either Carter or Shay good odds on being able to take Orin, but Mera completely outclasses the rest of them. All Orin has to do is keep her safe for a few seconds and it's over.

Now, if the Hawks had the Hand of Ra or whatever that thing was called, the tables turn. That thing was crazy powerful.

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

looking at the past few posts, its seems a lot consider mera to be the game changer. it even appears that mera is lot more powerful than aquaman.

Oh, the Hawks know how to deal with those sea creatures :

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Not ignoring the pages you linked, but both characters are written differently with different power levels now.

And yeah, he should be at least somewhat resistant to Mera's powers, but I doubt he'd be immune, and as she can control entire tidal waves, I doubt Hawkman has enough resistance for it to really matter.

I love the Hawks, but they're just outclassed here, due entirely to Mera. In a one-on-one fight, I'd give either Carter or Shay good odds on being able to take Orin, but Mera completely outclasses the rest of them. All Orin has to do is keep her safe for a few seconds and it's over.

Now, if the Hawks had the Hand of Ra or whatever that thing was called, the tables turn. That thing was crazy powerful.
    Well I'm just rooting for the underdog here (first time I argue against Aquaman in this regard I believe) so don't mind my butthurtness.

I don't know, I guess it depends on the distance at which the fight starts. If they're within a few meters of each other I'd say the Hawks close the distance before Mera can insta-dry them out.

In terms of power levels, Aquaman has certainly gotten a boost, but he was also a super strong and super resistant being in the 90's incarnation as well. He wasn't a human-level combatant. He could cause seizures with his telepathy and definitely had considerable strength.

Quote Originally Posted by themiddle View Post
    hawkman did manage to last a few rounds against black adam. and at that time, black adam managed to take down the jsa.

aganist aquaman and mera though, another factor to consider is which team is better in fighting together. arthur and mera are powerhouses but i think the hawks have better team fighting skills.
    Thanks for that, Adam is a true beast. It basically qualifies Hawkman as a heavy-hitter type.

Also good point about the coordination. They are probably the more fluid and complimentary couple.

Can't we all just get along?

Double post.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 03-09-2015 at 01:58 PM.

Who cares?!?!

These four characters should headline a team together!

BANNED

Nth metal is in Hawkman's blood Mera can manipulate that.