• Beethovan

0 0%
  • 101 Dalmations

0 0%
  • Other

1 3.13%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

For me it's maybe the most obvious, but "Sixteen Candles". I get the appeal of "the Breakfast Club" and its dynamic between high schools stereotypes. But "Sixteen Candles" had all of that, the family dynamic with everyone gathering for her sister's wedding, the feeling of invisibility in high school and the angst of growing up, and at the same time was a high school party comedy but told from the perspective of a young woman at a time when most movies of its type were told from the "unlucky at love, who eventually finds theirs" lovable male loser perspective.

It wasn't a "girl's movie", but a movie for everyone told from the POV of a young girl. Yes, some of the humor wouldn't hold up with today's audiences. Racism/consent/high school nudity/underage drinking (it was the '80s)/etc. Molly Ringwald was her Ringwald-iest, Farmer Ted was the most iconic version of the Hughes Anthony Michael Hall geek/nerd, and if you eliminated them both it would somehow still be a very solid and entertaining version of that type of '80s high school party comedy. To me a lot of his other stuff was great, and a few came close, but this was his masterpiece.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    For me it's maybe the most obvious, but "Sixteen Candles". I get the appeal of "the Breakfast Club" and its dynamic between high schools stereotypes. But "Sixteen Candles" had all of that, the family dynamic with everyone gathering for her sister's wedding, the feeling of invisibility in high school and the angst of growing up, and at the same time was a high school party comedy but told from the perspective of a young woman at a time when most movies of its type were told from the "unlucky at love, who eventually finds theirs" lovable male loser perspective.

It wasn't a "girl's movie", but a movie for everyone told from the POV of a young girl. Yes, some of the humor wouldn't hold up with today's audiences. Racism/consent/high school nudity/underage drinking (it was the '80s)/etc. Molly Ringwald was her Ringwald-iest, Farmer Ted was the most iconic version of the Hughes Anthony Michael Hall geek/nerd, and if you eliminated them both it would somehow still be a very solid and entertaining version of that type of '80s high school party comedy. To me a lot of his other stuff was great, and a few came close, but this was his masterpiece.
    Sixteen Candles is how I voted. It's one of my all-time favorite movies in any genre of film - and just for the reasons you wrote.

Samantha was very relatable. You knew guys in school exactly like Farmer Ted. Caroline looked and acted just like the popular girl in my school. Sam's kid brother acted just like a pesty kid brother would act. And Jake Ryan was at his dreamiest without being perfect. It was written perfectly for its time.

Ferris Bueller was mine. Followed closely by Breakfast Club. The rest are good, too, but I like the two I mentioned mostly because they all happen in a single day and they just worked really well with the chosen cast.

Recently some folks recreated the events of Ferris Bueller all in a single day just to see if it was possible (it is). A friend shared this with me, so I am sharing it here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...-chicago-tour/
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 09-21-2022 at 02:17 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Chris Columbus directed Home Alone
    Yeah, it raises a supremely difficult topic of pondering the unanswerable mysteries of who's really or more responsible for the great aspects of certain great films.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

John Hughes' coming of age movies were on another level.

I'll have to go with the Breakfast Club. It's one of those perfect movies, but Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller, and Some Kind of Wonderful are excellent to. Still have yet to see 16 Candles.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Still have yet to see 16 Candles.
    Oh man, are you in for a treat. But be warned - it is anything BUT politically correct. Which is typical of 80s movies.

Extraordinary Member

Pretty in Pink- The Dice Man-" Dump her! lose her! You don't need that!" LOL

Incredible Member

Personal favourite will always be Uncle Buck!

Retired

For some reason, when PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES came out in theatres, I never went to see it--I think some comments by my friends put me off. So I only saw it for the first time a few years ago and felt sad that I had missed this gem. Still haven't seen UNCLE BUCK--but I guess that's another I have to look into.

And there's a few others on the list I haven't seen, either, like HOME ALONE. But that's not a John Hughes directed movie. It's different if they're just movies he wrote and/or produced versus movies he actually directed.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    And there's a few others on the list I haven't seen, either, like HOME ALONE. But that's not a John Hughes directed movie. It's different if they're just movies he wrote and/or produced versus movies he actually directed.
    Still, it's a great film with a lot of humor and heart. You should watch it this Christmas.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    Personal favourite will always be Uncle Buck!
    I just rewatched Uncle Buck for the first time in probably 20 years the other day and god I had forgotten how funny that movie was. John Candy was such a treasure.