Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grey Family

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Well with one million mutants on Krakoa they could find someone willing to take care of them. Or say Sara is a mutant, and bring her back too.

The kids really just never had developed personalities or powers, so I think the real issue is none of the current writers care about them because they did so little in the 80s.
    Some of you might have to get a job at Marvel to have Sara, Joey, and Gailen resurrected!
    See below for bolded.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I want them to bring back mama grey and find out she was a latent mutant. The way she dragged rachel before she moved on she needs to come back and have to find a way without john. Though john is the one who deserves to be a mutant and come back. omg imagine jean dad running around somunus age with a really cool power. nevermind i want john to come back so elaine can roll over in her grave. Can we get a scene of her relatives disappearing one by one for resurrection and here like "WTF!?!?!!" lol
    THIS. I would DIE if Elaine was found to be able to be resurrected and they did so and RACHEL was the one to meet her outside the egg. I loved John but he was best as the ally human father and grandfather type. Elaine would be so miserable to be a mutant and I would love it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Theoretically, Jean has more relatives on the island/in the resurrection queue than just about anyone else, lol. The 90s Cable series had Cable and Rachel go up against a mutant born in the 1600s, named Fiona Knoblach aka the Dark Priestess....who had literally thousands of descendants by the 1990s, most of them mutants. For centuries, she sought out the most powerful women among her descendants to raise them as part of her Sisterhood, with aims of using their mutant powers to take over the world by inserting Sisterhood members into key positions of power. (She claimed she just never got a chance to get her hooks into Jean because Xavier got to her first).

Fiona herself was a powerful telepath, telekinetic and precog, who looked a lot like Jean and couldn't see Rachel or Cable with her precognition and wanted them dead for that reason. Rachel and Nathan weren't sure they could trust her claims and speculated she just lied about Jean being her descendant to mess with them, theorizing that she just couldn't see them due to them being temporal anomalies, but she never seemed to have a problem seeing other time-travelers like Bishop (and in fact, Sinister had her killed off during Messiah Complex specifically because he was afraid she could see things that might interfere with his plans for Hope, even with all the time-traveling going on around Hope). Whereas the thing where some mutant powers don't work on mutant relatives could account for Fiona not being able to detect a couple specific descendants of hers with her precognition....so its up in the air and could go either way.

But point being, even with Jean's direct family dead, there's a strong chance she's actually got a shit ton of mutant relatives, both alive and dead. Fiona herself is still dead, unless she's been resurrected offscreen, but her brother Clarity was last seen alive and with his powers intact, and their older sister Gloria was a mutant killed during the Salem Witch Trials, but could theoretically be in the Waiting Room as well.

Anyway, I'd love to see Jean's niece and nephew back, and simplest solution is just to bring back Sara as a latent mutant like Claremont always intended, and thus eligible for resurrection. Just have her and her kids activated once they resurrect, and then Sara can use her own activation powers to help activate other latent mutants, or help young mutants activate their powers for the first time in a controlled setting, thus lowering the number of tragedies born of mutants first manifesting their powers in extremely stressful situations that lead to casualties and collateral damage. Given Jean's own history telepathically experiencing the death of her childhood friend Annie, Sara definitely would understand the benefit to mutants with activation powers working with young mutants, second-generation mutants and people pointed out by precogs as potential mutants, getting to them before they manifest dangerous abilities in public settings and using her powers to minimize the traumas of initial power manifestations.

Plus, like others have pointed out, the twins are in the right age range to be friends/classmates with the M-twins, Karma's younger siblings and others like Maxime and Manon. LOL, four sets of twins in their 'generation' of X-kids might be a bit much but hey, they already all exist, might as well let them be friends.
    Sara Grey - I think it would be nice for her to be resurrected, but she's not a mutant. That was explicitly clear as to how she was quickly absorbed into the Phalanx, which have a VERY difficult time absorbing mutants. So already she has one thing canon against her being a mutant. Also, if we bring her back....then what? I mean, I am sure people would love for her to reconnect with Jean and have all these moments...but look how long it took the X-Office to be get Rachel and Jean panel time, nevermind good panel time where the writers aren't sabotaging their interactions to make Jean look good and Rachel childish (it's true ya'll). So if Sara comes back, what is next. Just have her around as mom to her kids on Krakoa? Doesn't feel meaty ya know.

Bailey and Gailyn - now here is where this could be a good thing. There are plenty of younger mutants on the island, and they don't necessarily have to be mothered by Jean. There are plenty of X-Men or mutants that could watch them. I am sure Jean would be in their lives, as well as Rachel, but if they grow and become the next tier/generation in New Mutants that gives the X-Office and writers ample things to play with. And yes to them playing with Maxine, Manon, and the other siblings of X-Men.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Well with one million mutants on Krakoa they could find someone willing to take care of them. Or say Sara is a mutant, and bring her back too.

The kids really just never had developed personalities or powers, so I think the real issue is none of the current writers care about them because they did so little in the 80s.
    Some of you might have to get a job at Marvel to have Sara, Joey, and Gailen resurrected!
    I agree...they should. If they are going to have the Resurrection Protocols then lean into them. Bring back every known mutant...and even some suspected mutants.

Astonishing Member

Eh, eye of the beholder. No story or plot element HAS to exist, its all just about what you do with whatever it is you decide to do. I'm not saying 'bring Sara back and make her a main cast member of this book or that one' - past an initial story about her return, just give her something to do, like work as an activator helping young or new mutants with their initial manifestations, and anyone asks 'hey what are Sara and her kids up to' well, that's the answer. She's got her own place on Krakoa where she's raising her kids and working as a mutant activator, and she occasionally hangs out with her sister. Nothing needs to be more indepth or more extensive than that, unless writers WANT to do more with her than that, and well, having her back opens up avenues for writers to do more there and could theoretically sow inspiration for things they could do with her.

Personally, I think there's lots of story potential in the sister of one of the most iconic and most powerful X-Men, who spent most of her life being an ally to said sister, suddenly being brought back and finding she's no longer on the sidelines or with the perspective of a familial ally....now she's in the thick of things. That's a major paradigm shift and that's a pretty interesting POV to explore....someone who's been on both sides of that line....first a part of the majority and an outsider to the marginalized mutant community her sister was her sole link to....and now a part of that same community and an outsider to the centered human community she spent her first lifetime taking for granted that she herself was a part of.

*Shrugs* But like I said. Eye of the beholder. We're all just talking about possibilities here anyway.

As to the Phalanx thing, I don't know that really rules anything out. Its canon that Sara wasn't an ACTIVE mutant, yes, but latent mutants weren't really a big, consistent part of the Marvel framework at the time the Phalanx stories initially established the 'rules' of assimilating humans vs mutants, so there's no reason it can't be as simple as "Sara was easily assimilated when she was just a latent mutant, but a latent mutation was still enough to wind her up in the Waiting Room as is canon per the Trial of Magneto, and once back, now she's an active mutant and the Phalanx would react to her NOW no differently than they would any other mutant."

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I agree...they should. If they are going to have the Resurrection Protocols then lean into them. Bring back every known mutant...and even some suspected mutants.
    Suspected mutants like Glamour and Illusion. I agree.

Showcase every known mutant in a Karakoa Handbook of the Marvel Universe with new art and updated bios!
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Astonishing Member

I like Xman and Young Cable. Cable himself should had been deleted.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Suspected mutants like Glamour and Illusion. I agree.

Showcase every known mutant in a Karakoa Handbook of the Marvel Universe with new art and updated bios!
    I would prefer something with a format like Marvel Comics Presents that has 4 resurrection stories per issue. Make it a weekly.

Incredible Member

Eh, eye of the beholder. No story or plot element HAS to exist, its all just about what you do with whatever it is you decide to do. I'm not saying 'bring Sara back and make her a main cast member of this book or that one' - past an initial story about her return, just give her something to do, like work as an activator helping young or new mutants with their initial manifestations, and anyone asks 'hey what are Sara and her kids up to' well, that's the answer. She's got her own place on Krakoa where she's raising her kids and working as a mutant activator, and she occasionally hangs out with her sister. Nothing needs to be more indepth or more extensive than that, unless writers WANT to do more with her than that, and well, having her back opens up avenues for writers to do more there and could theoretically sow inspiration for things they could do with her.

Personally, I think there's lots of story potential in the sister of one of the most iconic and most powerful X-Men, who spent most of her life being an ally to said sister, suddenly being brought back and finding she's no longer on the sidelines or with the perspective of a familial ally....now she's in the thick of things. That's a major paradigm shift and that's a pretty interesting POV to explore....someone who's been on both sides of that line....first a part of the majority and an outsider to the marginalized mutant community her sister was her sole link to....and now a part of that same community and an outsider to the centered human community she spent her first lifetime taking for granted that she herself was a part of.

*Shrugs* But like I said. Eye of the beholder. We're all just talking about possibilities here anyway.

As to the Phalanx thing, I don't know that really rules anything out. Its canon that Sara wasn't an ACTIVE mutant, yes, but latent mutants weren't really a big, consistent part of the Marvel framework at the time the Phalanx stories initially established the 'rules' of assimilating humans vs mutants, so there's no reason it can't be as simple as "Sara was easily assimilated when she was just a latent mutant, but a latent mutation was still enough to wind her up in the Waiting Room as is canon per the Trial of Magneto, and once back, now she's an active mutant and the Phalanx would react to her NOW no differently than they would any other mutant."
    Didn't hodge say something about she resisted the phlanax longer then he thought she would. I don't remember the phlanax saga perfectly it's been years. But one of the wikis I found talked about the phlanax had problems assimilating her. Update. It was Scott Lang and what he said was ,"She [was] a recalcitrant sort, never really sublimating her stubborn will properly to the interests of the Phalanx. Her mental strength [was] truly remarkable - much like her sister's."
    Last edited by dragon1440; 09-19-2022 at 08:52 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    Didn't hodge say something about she resisted the phlanax longer then he thought she would. I don't remember the phlanax saga perfectly it's been years. But one of the wikis I found talked about the phlanax had problems assimilating her. Update. It was Scott Lang and what he said was ,"She [was] a recalcitrant sort, never really sublimating her stubborn will properly to the interests of the Phalanx. Her mental strength [was] truly remarkable - much like her sister's."

Here 'ya go... Is it me or did Emma just lie to Synch about how his powers worked?

X-Men Vol. 2 #36
    Last edited by Micabe; 09-19-2022 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Link(s) added.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    Stephen Lang...not Scott Lang.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    I like Xman and Young Cable. Cable himself should had been deleted.
    Completely disagree. Cable is the OG from timeline 616. X-man is the variant from another universe. Delete the copy, not the original. And young Cable was lame. We have plenty of emo kids running around the island. Since the 00s we’ve moved away from stoic, tough guy heroes. I get that. Not everyone’s cup of tea, that trope is dated, etc. But can we at least keep the few we have? For those of us who came into the books in the late 80s/early 90s and love that shit? Maybe I’m a dinosaur by today’s standards, but I grew up on Schwarzenegger and Stallone films. So give me one or two battle-hardened, red meat-eating, grizzled tough guy X-heroes sprinkled in with all rest please. That’s all I ask.

After all, you don’t see me saying “I think Hellion would be cooler as a 50+ year old man from a post-apocalyptic future with a cybernetic arm. Can we delete teen Hellion and replace with old man Hellion because I personally would like that character better?”
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 09-20-2022 at 07:39 AM.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Theoretically, Jean has more relatives on the island/in the resurrection queue than just about anyone else, lol. The 90s Cable series had Cable and Rachel go up against a mutant born in the 1600s, named Fiona Knoblach aka the Dark Priestess....who had literally thousands of descendants by the 1990s, most of them mutants. For centuries, she sought out the most powerful women among her descendants to raise them as part of her Sisterhood, with aims of using their mutant powers to take over the world by inserting Sisterhood members into key positions of power. (She claimed she just never got a chance to get her hooks into Jean because Xavier got to her first).

Fiona herself was a powerful telepath, telekinetic and precog, who looked a lot like Jean and couldn't see Rachel or Cable with her precognition and wanted them dead for that reason. Rachel and Nathan weren't sure they could trust her claims and speculated she just lied about Jean being her descendant to mess with them, theorizing that she just couldn't see them due to them being temporal anomalies, but she never seemed to have a problem seeing other time-travelers like Bishop (and in fact, Sinister had her killed off during Messiah Complex specifically because he was afraid she could see things that might interfere with his plans for Hope, even with all the time-traveling going on around Hope). Whereas the thing where some mutant powers don't work on mutant relatives could account for Fiona not being able to detect a couple specific descendants of hers with her precognition....so its up in the air and could go either way.
    That Dark Sisterhood arc was pretty cool. Been awhile since I read it. Might have to go back and re-read now. Thanks.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Here 'ya go... Is it me or did Emma just lie to Synch about how his powers worked?

X-Men Vol. 2 #36
    Oh thank you, I misremembered and thought it said that she went quickly. Then I recant and say there is far more wiggle room for bringing Sara back.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    [CENTER]Here 'ya go... Is it me or did Emma just lie to Synch about how his powers worked?
    Emma didnt lie. She literally just met Synch. She didnt know how his powers worked and was theorizing

But point being, even with Jean's direct family dead, there's a strong chance she's actually got a shit ton of mutant relatives, both alive and dead. Fiona herself is still dead, unless she's been resurrected offscreen, but her brother Clarity was last seen alive and with his powers intact, and their older sister Gloria was a mutant killed during the Salem Witch Trials, but could theoretically be in the Waiting Room as well.

Anyway, I'd love to see Jean's niece and nephew back, and simplest solution is just to bring back Sara as a latent mutant like Claremont always intended, and thus eligible for resurrection. Just have her and her kids activated once they resurrect, and then Sara can use her own activation powers to help activate other latent mutants, or help young mutants activate their powers for the first time in a controlled setting, thus lowering the number of tragedies born of mutants first manifesting their powers in extremely stressful situations that lead to casualties and collateral damage. Given Jean's own history telepathically experiencing the death of her childhood friend Annie, Sara definitely would understand the benefit to mutants with activation powers working with young mutants, second-generation mutants and people pointed out by precogs as potential mutants, getting to them before they manifest dangerous abilities in public settings and using her powers to minimize the traumas of initial power manifestations.

Plus, like others have pointed out, the twins are in the right age range to be friends/classmates with the M-twins, Karma's younger siblings and others like Maxime and Manon. LOL, four sets of twins in their 'generation' of X-kids might be a bit much but hey, they already all exist, might as well let them be friends.
    I love your mind. (Also, check your Twitter DMs.)

As for Sara, her powers totally align with mutant advocacy efforts prior to her disappearance. She was an ally.

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

😭

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."