Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

she needs a new costume that updates the 1980 outfit.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Anything but another "Who Is Donna Troy". That's been done to death.
    But who IS she now? 😄

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    she needs a new costume that updates the 1980 outfit.
    I love the black and stars

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I’m into it… something that reestablishes her original origin; plays up her relationship with Diana, Philippus and other Amazons; her friendships with Dick, Kory and the other Titans; reestablishes her profession as a photographer; introduces some new friends and supporting characters in her life; gives her some Donna-centric foes and adversaries; and gives her a romantic life.

Donna is a modern woman and I think the series could explore that. I can think of so many things and themes Donna is perfect for exploring.
    I love her old 'Who Is Donna Troy?' origin from the classic Wolfman/Perez run, but I read a hilarious take that she was actually a teenaged Diana, brought into existence by Wonder Woman's own 5th dimensional Imp, who adventured alongside her favorite hero taking the form of 'Wonder Tot.'

Wonder Tot wanted to adventure with both adult Diana *and* 'teen Diana', so she created a teen Diana with her magic (complete with working lasso and Wonder Woman powers, even though some versions of Diana-as-a-teen didn't even have powers yet, having to win them in a contest, pre-daughter-of-Zeus-nonsense, and Paradise Island didn't have a bunch of spare magic lassos sitting around in a vault). Wonder Tot was finally cajoled into leaving, but sort of forgot to clean up after herself and 'Diana as a teen' was left behind. Diana more or less adopted her, and she chose the name 'Donna,' because it sounded like Diana, but wouldn't be confused with her adult incarnation (and both Diana and Donna decided that her real origin was just too far-out to explain to people, and, while never actually lying about Donna's origins, have allowed a staggering array of misconceptions to flourish, to their bemusement).

I like Donna Troy, but I'm not sure if she adds much to the table as compared to Wonder Woman. I'd much rather they kill off Diana for good and make Donna Troy the new permanent Wonder Woman :-)
    Most side character solo series have a thing going on for them. Superman and Superboy are pretty much the same in terms of powers, but Superboy is much, much younger so you appeal to a more teenage demographic. And Superboy deals more with the threats of Teen Titans and has also those characters starring in his book. Donna Troy isn't that much younger than Wonder Woman and she doesn't really have her own supporting cast and rogue gallery. So you'd have something, which a Wonder Woman book would do better.

'Should Donna Troy have her own series'?

Absolutely.

Donna has so much potential and there is so much story opportunity to explore with her. She is a photographer, superhero, team leader, she is connected to the Titans of Myth which is an often unexplored aspect of mythology. Despite being powerful she is very human and very vulnerable and there has always been an element of tragedy in her life. Given the right creative team, Donna can absolutely hold her own ongoing.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ENTRYS View Post
    I like Donna Troy, but I'm not sure if she adds much to the table as compared to Wonder Woman. I'd much rather they kill off Diana for good and make Donna Troy the new permanent Wonder Woman :-)
    Most side character solo series have a thing going on for them. Superman and Superboy are pretty much the same in terms of powers, but Superboy is much, much younger so you appeal to a more teenage demographic. And Superboy deals more with the threats of Teen Titans and has also those characters starring in his book. Donna Troy isn't that much younger than Wonder Woman and she doesn't really have her own supporting cast and rogue gallery. So you'd have something, which a Wonder Woman book would do better.
    To be fair, almost no character has their own built in supporting characters and rogues gallery until they have their own book any more. Likewise, the difference between Diana and Donna exists in how they would handle the situations. Unfortunately, since New 52, they haven't been written that differently. Sword and shield answers everything. Neither of those are typical responses of either character.
    Unfortunately, should Donna get a series, the very first thing it should do is establish exactly who she is. It would have to be a Who is Donna Troy and if done correctly can be both entertaining and new while sorting through past stories of who she is. It could also establish or begin to establish a rogues gallery for her as well as set up supporting cast. The negative with today's writers (and audience) is that writers dont seem to know how to establish a supporting anything and readers if a character isn't in every panel start whining that their fav character is having the spotlight stolen from them. So few people understand actual story structure anymore. I have to wonder if some of these people read anything outside of comics.
    Donna very well could hold her own series if given the proper creative team. She's got every bit of opportunity as Supergirl, Nightwing, Red Hood, Supermanboy and any other character out there. She just needs the right group to do it.

I would love to see a Donna Troy mini (that's where DC is at these days)

Not to be negative; a couple of hurdles though.

1) the last Titans title (Teen Titans Academy) was a bust. If she is going to get a title than it would most likely be when a Titans title is running hot...as that's what she is most associated with...so we probably have to wait for the brand to recover.

2) Wonder Woman sales, and the brand as a whole is at a historic low. I'm not sure if her origins are still rooted in the Wonder Woman lore, but the second most title she would be associated with is in the tank. They are also busy trying to promote Nubia and the new Wonder Girl, so I can't see a Donna Troy spin off unless it's with the Titans.

3) DC comics is largely Batman related titles these days, which makes it hard for non Bat characters to get print time these days in comparison to the past.

I think if 1 and 3 resolve themselves....than u never know.

BANNED

Terry Long should be brought back and reimagined as one of her arch nemeses. A madman from another possibly lost universe in which he was married to Donna, who somehow gets incredible cosmic powers and feels "entitled" to Donna and her affections, and is willing to transform Donna into the version of her that he wants, or bend reality to fit his fantasy. Some things would need to be fleshed out and ironed out, but I would do that. I shouldn't give DC or their freelancers any ideas, though.
    Last edited by Proto Man; 10-02-2022 at 09:36 AM.

Honestly, turning Terry Long into a villain would be utterly trite, condescending, predictable, and boring. Because entirely too many people online do that themselves. Seriously, the sheer amount of moral pearl clutching I've seen on the CBR Forums alone about the 10-year age gap between Donna and Terry and/or "OH. MY. GOD. Terry Long was just Marv Wolfman's fantasy insert." would make the most obnoxious Southern evangelical Christian busybody Karen cringe. If DC ever revisited Terry Long again, the surprising thing to do with him would be to treat him as a character unto himself WITHOUT demonizing him or pandering to fandom's habit to get all Karen-like about "but muh morals!"

Good thing this isn't reddit, I suspect the above would be downvoted faster than the Flashes can run a relay.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Honestly, turning Terry Long into a villain would be utterly trite, condescending, predictable, and boring. Because entirely too many people online do that themselves. Seriously, the sheer amount of moral pearl clutching I've seen on the CBR Forums alone about the 10-year age gap between Donna and Terry and/or "OH. MY. GOD. Terry Long was just Marv Wolfman's fantasy insert." would make the most obnoxious Southern evangelical Christian busybody Karen cringe. If DC ever revisited Terry Long again, the surprising thing to do with him would be to treat him as a character unto himself WITHOUT demonizing him or pandering to fandom's habit to get all Karen-like about "but muh morals!"

Good thing this isn't reddit, I suspect the above would be downvoted faster than the Flashes can run a relay.
    I completely agree. While there would be a definite amount of drama in turning Terry into a villain, it falls into the worst possible tropes. The only thing wrong with the age gap between Terry and Donna has been in how a vocal minority has turned it into something obscene which it most certainly isn't.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

At this point, you'd need a 12 issue maxi-series just to sort out her origin!
    DC have truly f****ed with character like few others, and while I think she certainly warrants at the bare minimum a mini series of her own, it would take a helluva writer to make it sing while either competently explaining or dispelling the luggage attached to her.

But damn, if done well it would be a bloody fun read!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Ultimate Member

I just want him to never be mentioned again. Just sort of scrub that part of my brain clean of him.

Granted, it seems like DC is more likely to only agree with that because they'd just as rather never mention *Donna* again, let alone her dead ex...

Donna already has enough stalkers with a crush, there's no need to add Terry to the list.

Astonishing Member

Terry Long is the Wolfman self insert who gets too much heat.