Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default 31 Horrid Nights of Halloween: 2022!

Get ready to watch...

Of course, it wouldn't be Halloween without Rules...

1. The Number of the Beast is 31: You mission, should you choose to hack-cept it, is to view at least 31 films between October 1 and October 31, and join the select few who get to claim their ghoulish No Prize. While a film per day is encouraged, double and triple-billing (or more) is perfectly acceptable and often necessary. A few even dare go...beyond 31.

2. Medium Be Damned: The movies shall not be just theatrical, obviously. original TV, Cable, DVD/VHS, YOutube,theatrical, and Streaming movies shall be legal tender as well. So you can watch movies on whatever works even on your phone, if you enjoy breaking David Lynch's heart.

3. Leave A Trail: Please provide a link or description for all the films you view. This will allow the others the chance to add to their watch lists for later or just to compare progress. Feel free to also add poster art and/or trailers as well to add color to your post. And of course your own thoughts on film would be nice to hear...before the end.

4. Simpsons Can't Do It: Halloween-themed episodes of a regular series don't count. Nor do episodes of supernatural-themed shows like Stranger Things, The X-Files, American Horror Story. TV specials like It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown may count. Use your judgement on if a short film is too short to count as a film in itself or if you want to count it for half. If it's something If you plan on binging through an entire season of something, that's worth noting but you should count it separately if at all, along with any other series episodes you might want to talk about.

5. "Horror" is more like a Guideline: it doesn't have to be an actual 'horror movie', per say. Comedies with the appropriate themes are fine; Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, Abbot and Costello Meet the Frankenstein, etc... Ditto for action flicks like Blade, Aliens,... Godzilla? Sure.
    (Batman...uh...I dunno, maybe? We've all accepted Joker and Venom in previous years. Maybe certain Bat-flicks?)

Relive last year's proceedings here.

Some guides to what's available: https://www.halloweenmoviesontv.com/
    https://www.fathomevents.com/events/
    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/h...er-1234781054/
    https://www.screengeek.net/2022/09/1...rical-release/

Note that there is a Full moon on October 9th.
    Last edited by Jared; 09-24-2023 at 04:42 PM.

Fantastic Member

Been checking in sporadically the last couple weeks to see if it was happening again this year. Pretty sure I won't be able to top my count from 2021 as I'll be out of town for a few days the first weekend of October, but still going to try to watch as many movies as possible since this is pretty much the only time of year I watch any at all.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Disaster View Post
    Pretty sure I won't be able to top my count from 2021 as I'll be out of town for a few days the first weekend of October, but still going to try to watch as many movies as possible since this is pretty much the only time of year I watch any at all.
    I'd suggest you try to plan ahead for those first days with things that are short and readily available for whatever you'll have access to.

2020 was my highest total because of lockdown. I don't know if I'll be able to top that, although last year I got closer than I had expected at the start.

I completely dropped the ball in 2021 as I was finishing my Master's Degree. Though I am shocked I managed to get to 21. My goal this year is to get 35, so I can average out at 31 per year since I started tracking in 2020. My list of 31 is as follows:

A John Carpenter Movie - In the Mouth of Madness
    A Cult Horror Movie – The Evil Dead
    A “So Bad, It’s Good” Horror – Troll 2
    A Holiday Themed Horror – Black Christmas
    A Horror Movie from the 1920s - Haxan
    A Horror Movie from the 1930s - The Invisible Man
    A Horror Movie from the 1940s - The Wolfman
    A Horror Movie from the 1950s - The Creature from the Black Lagoon
    A Horror Movie from the 1960s – Night of the Living Dead
    A Horror Movie from the 1970s – Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    A Horror Movie from the 1980s – Possession
    A Horror Movie from the 1990s - Jacob’s Ladder
    A Horror Movie from the 2000s - Saw
    A Horror Movie from the 2010s – Sinister
    A Horror Movie from the 2020s - Last Night in Soho
    A Horror Sequel - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
    An Indie Horror - Green Room
    An Art House Horror – Susperia (1977)
    A Horror Inspired by Book – The Innocents
    A Criterion Horror – Eyes Without a Face
    A Horror Comedy – Happy Death Day
    A Zombie Horror – Dawn of the Dead
    A Vampire Horror – Fright Night
    A Slasher Horror – Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    A Witchcraft Horror – House of the Devil
    A Family Horror Movie – Coraline
    Horror/Thriller – Se7en
    A Foreign Language Horror – Audition
    A Horror Remake – The Fly
    An Anthology Horror – Creepshow
    Your Favorite Horror Movie – Halloween

Incredible Member

I always have an overabundance of vampire movies to pick through. Some year I might do all vamp flicks, but not this one. I plan check out the Netflix one set on a plane finally, and something older I haven't seen called Cold Hearts. If I get to see The Lost Boys in a theater I'll probably watch the sequels at home, too. I've also never seen the original Salem's Lot but I have it ready.

My main focus this week will be to finally watch Strangers Things season 4 so I have that out of the way before October starts.

Extraordinary Member

I'm going to try and do this for October. I did it a few years ago, but wasn't able to for the last couple of years.

I love scary movies.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

YES, YES, YES Thank You Jared I was hoping you keep the Tradition Going, I have been getting Ready for this Contest & as always looking forward to it!

My plan outside of a Few movies outside of my focus, is to Try and Fininsh My Dracula/Vampire Movie list I have been watching the past 2 challenges. I always made over 31 the last few years but I have not seen all my Vampire/Dracula's out their I want to see My hope is that I will do it finally this Year!

Hyped for this as always, I just had 1 question about the Rules, it envoles the medium of Watching;

If a Movie I am wanting to watch I can't find on either DVD, Streaming or by buy on a format, if it is so Rare that it is only full on You Tube Free to watch or on another site like Plex, Vimeo or other sites like that, if I excuted all other opinions in finding these rare movies, is that in the bounds of the rules those other mediums?!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Incredible Member

Youtube or whatever format is fine.
    Personally, I don't always keep track of what I watch stuff on, unless it happens to be new.

There a bunch of movies always on YouTube because the rights lapsed: Night of the Living Dead being probably the most notable. Hammer's official channel has some movies available.
    Last edited by Jared; 10-02-2022 at 11:53 AM.

Last night I primed the pump by watching Return of the Living Dead. While a bat that found its way inside flew around the room.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Last night I primed the pump by watching Return of the Living Dead. While a bat that found its way inside flew around the room.
    Did you yell out "I shall become a bat"?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Did you yell out "I shall become a bat"?
    Perhaps I did!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Youtube or whatever format is fine.
    Personally, I don't always keep track of what I watch stuff on, unless it happens to be new.

There a bunch of movies always on YouTube because the rights lapsed: Night of the Living Dead being probably the most notable. Hammer's official channel has some movies available up.
    Much Appriated, Helps out allot!

I will always used main formats like DVD, Streaming to watch ever movie I can find on those formats under regular tender.

But I have been very suprised how many of these very unknown movies have no traditional style to watch them in, not Streaming, DVD or even VHS it is like they never got a copy made for them. It is not to many but enought to suprise me, even their studios forgot they where a thing so if the only way to watch them in by a YouTube poster that had the desire and the only one at that to share it with the world, then that is the last measure I take if I have too.

Thanks for the help.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Fantastic Member

Kicking things off with the following...

1. From Beyond (1986) - Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton, and director Stuart Gordon wasted no time following Re-animator (1985), teaming up again for another H. P. Lovecraft movie adaptation. From Wikipedia: "From Beyond centers on a pair of scientists attempting to stimulate the pineal gland with a device called the Resonator, with the unforeseen result of their perceiving creatures from another dimension. The creatures drag the head scientist into their world, returning him as a grotesque shape-shifting monster that preys upon the others at the laboratory."

2. The Eatth Dies Screaming (1964) - I've always loved the bonkers title of this movie (apparently story writer Harry Spalding absolutely hated it) and finally got around to watching it for the first time. Feels sort of like a mash-up between an old Dr. Who episode and a 1950s Hollywood sci-fi B-movie, it wasn't particularly bad, but also didn't leave me with any desire to watch it again, I did think the opening sequence was rather good though. From the dailymotion description where I watched it: "An American test pilot lands in England, only to find it devastated by robotic alien invaders busily wiping out humanity and resurrecting their victims as mindless zombies. However, he also finds there are a few survivors still struggling to hold on..."

All-New Member

Smile

My first movie to start off was Hocus Pocus 2. It started of boring at the start but got better in the middle and the end. I give this one a thumbs up great for kids and great for adults who want something light to watch. Basically the show is about a 16 year old who lights a candle and brings back three witches. I like that it was light because I was never really into serious horror but I am giving it a try this year. There is singing and a nice little plot although it started off boring at first.
    Last edited by avenjee; 10-03-2022 at 05:38 AM.

Extraordinary Member

10/01 - Poltergeist (1982)
    Last edited by caj; 10-02-2022 at 04:23 AM.