Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Judgement Day #5 - Review *spoilers*

Kurt really shined in this issue and I fell in love with him all over again. But this was brutal!

We open with the preview pages as the 6 civilians react to the world receiving a failing grade from Jerk Celestial.

Jada approaches Captain America who is sitting on the rubble of the Treehouse, bones of the protestors all around. They talk and Nightcrawler appears, asking Cap if he’s down for the world to watch him give JC a piece of his mind. Cap agrees and asks Kurt if he can get him to the North Pole.

Kurt: “After the day I’ve had? The strain could kill me! Do you think I’m some kind of superhero?” Kurt proceeds to take his hand and teleport him across the world to the North Pole. He was being cute. He informs Cap that Xavier is linking this moment to everyone and the mutant telepaths are broadcasting it to the world. Cap stands tall, telling JC that heroism isn’t about strength, it’s about not giving in. It’s not over as long as any of them are standing.

“The world can hear me. Know this. We’re all Avengers now. Assemble. And Avenge.” Cap and Kurt are killed for the world to witness.

Freshly resurrected Kurt…

The world is on the same page after the murder of Captain America and Nightcrawler. Kurt is inspired, telling Egg to prepare another egg for him as he’ll likely need it, and tells his dear friend Logan that he rejects this “parody of god” and that if they only have hours to live, they’re going to love and live and fight.

Xavier announces to the QC, war captains, Stark and Eternals that they’ve received messages of support from many leaders around the world and the commitment of their militaries. They plan their attack - Cyclops wants to go after the node again, Stark says no it was all a trick, Jean says I’m an Omega-level psychic and the node is real, the whole thing wasn’t a complete lie. Bishop finally speaks a few lines and since the Eternals can’t directly help because their principles will force them to protect JC, he’s over them.

HOWEVER, it appears the Eternals have turned off their psychic firewalls. Sersi: “It would be terrible if someone just… took us over and made us punch our gods in the face.” Oop!

Magik: “Hey, Destiny. What are our chances?” Destiny: “This is our only chance. With certain modifications.”

A full frontal attack on JC commences, Rogue leading the charge. X-Men, Avengers, the Fantastic Four, solo heroes, Dr. Doom, the Eternals (including the Hex) driven by mutant telepaths, Deviants, militaries of the world. The art team gives us beautiful panel after panel. The Hex, controlled by the Cuckoos and Emma, seem to make a dent in JC. It’s getting hit from all angles, then Thor comes in for the final blow.

The art team gives us gruesome panel after panel. JC starts killing, showing off its creativity. Poor Cyclops and Magik. Carol too. Many die as Iron Man and others retreat. Cities burn, bridges collapse, planes fall out of the sky. A spaceship carrying the uber wealthy trying to escape goes boom. The mechanism that resurrects Eternals is destroyed. Krakoa is burning and sinking into the ocean. Destiny, Mystique, Egg, and countless others die. JC attacks the Machine itself, Earth.

Back at Avengers Mansion (I think), Kurt says Destiny was right in that if certain people were left on the island, JC would temporarily believe it destroyed everyone, giving them a chance to evacuate many others. They only have a few eggs left so they must choose wisely. Stark and Phastos are kicking themselves for creating JC. The Four bring Jean and Logan back. Kurt says they tried the big hammer approach, now it’s time for the scalpel. He wants Logan to lead the way but Logan defers to Jack of Knives. He, Wolverine, Jean, Sersi, Ajak, Makkari, Iron Man, and Sinister prepare to go. Phastos grants personalized firewall access to control the 3 Eternals to Jean only if need be.

Makkari stretches.

Jack teleports the small team back to the North Pole, making them invisible. But JC immediately knows they’re there. Jack reveals himself to distract the fake god so the others can get inside. Jack is killed, the others are inside. Jean telepathically tells the others at the mansion that they’re inside but that they need every second the others can buy them. The others need to keep JC busy while the stealth team moves.

Makkari stretches.

Naked and yelling in the mansion kitchen, Exodus says…

Let’s gooooooo Captain Kramerica!! Definitely gotta update the resurrection tally now.
    Last edited by JB; 09-21-2022 at 06:06 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I CAN'T BELIEVE HELLION IS GETTING RESURRECTED AND WILL BECOME CAPTAIN AMERICA

Katrina, actually doing something useful for once, helps people in the streets. Of course, it's too late to do anything that actually has an impact, and her outfit looks like rancid ass, so all this panel does is show her being ugly and useless. Meanwhile, Komali's more compelling with two words than Katrina is with four narration boxes.

Notable cameos include: Banshee (pre-Ghost Rider), Ms. Marvel, both Spider-Men, Quicksilver, Archangel, Moon Knight, Doop, Dr. Doom, Spider-Woman, Angel Salvadore.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post

Katrina, actually doing something useful for once, helps people in the streets. Of course, it's too late to do anything that actually has an impact, and her outfit looks like rancid ass, so all this panel does is show her being ugly and useless. Meanwhile, Komali's more compelling with two words than Katrina is with four narration boxes.

Notable cameos include: Banshee (pre-Ghost Rider), Ms. Marvel, both Spider-Men, Quicksilver, Archangel, Moon Knight, Doop, Dr. Doom, Spider-Woman, Angel Salvadore.
    When Katrina finally took action, I thought of you and said "too little, too late." LOL!

Great to see the world coming together and the implications of what may happen with the resurrection protocols are intriguing. I'm fine with Cap getting rezzed and the hopefully naked covered in goop status to come.

So the protocols get open to humanity. Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Kurt really shined in this issue and I fell in love with him all over again.
    I couldn’t agree more! I really enjoyed this issue.

I'm with Exodus.

Scott should have came back...
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I'm fine with Cap getting rezzed and the hopefully naked covered in goop status to come.
    I don't normally ship flatscans hard but I am ALL IN for goopy naked Cap.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    So the protocols get open to humanity. Cool!
    Yeah it could be a big status quo change or a one-off thing but Kurt's words make it sound like change is afoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    I couldn’t agree more! I really enjoyed this issue.
    He was charming and inspiring in the midst of armageddon, just what everyone needed. Ready to die a hero and come back as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I don't normally ship flatscans hard but I am ALL IN for goopy naked Cap.
    Cheers! Bring the world together, Cap.

Mighty Member

I really enjoyed the Frankincelestial this issue. As long as Arrako is left alone I am good. Let it burn.

Jean's model posing on point!

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post

Thanks for the recap, J.

The only good part about the New X-Men not getting any panel time is I can imagine the New Mutant and New Hellions (and the other teams)teams banding together to fight the Celestial, buying time for the younger students to try to escape. In my head, this will be the third time Helion and Wind Dancer died in each other's arms during an heroic last stand to protect humanity. (The others being Evil Prodigy dream and House of M when they were SHIELD agents for probably everyone but Rift.)
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

From the looks of it DTTM #3 will go into detail on how we get the Hexes vs The Progenitor, that cover makes a lot of sense now too.

Also cant see resurrection protocols being open to the entire MU but this is very interesting to see and I wonder where this takes the protocols once this event is over
    Last edited by Diammandis; 09-21-2022 at 06:42 AM.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Astonishing Member

Someone just tell Exodus if they find a time Traveller they can break back his old boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    From the looks of it DTTM #3 will go into detail on how we get the Hexes vs The Progenitor, that cover makes a lot of sense now too.

Also cant see resurrection protocols being open to the entire MU but this is very interesting to see and I wonder where this takes the protocols once this event is over
    Special War Time exception. I doubt they'll just start wasting time resurrecting a bunch of random humans.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!