Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Of course, it makes no sense that giant robots were able to destroy a city where basically everyone had mutant powers and not one of them had a power that could stop it. No-one had something like a “rewind back to before you died and try again” power or could snap the city into a bubble dimension?
    Pretty much this. Sometimes the plot has to happen. My family was watching the Thing for the first time last night. There were points where they pointed out things the crew should have done differently to try and better protect themselves from the Thing that made sense. Don’t leave anyone along, always travel in groups of three or more, etc.

At the end of the day they still enjoyed the movie and understood those parts happened because there had to be an actual movie, not ten minutes of screen time till they did the blood tests and handled Norris, Blair, and Palmer.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    The datapages made it clear that they had plenty of backups that could sub. That's kind of why people were complaining that it didn't make sense as to them getting assassinated was treated as too much of a big deal - the whole point of those datapages was Hickman eliminating an easy way out for writers to artificially insert conflict.
    They have backups for four of them, but not Egg, I believe. Nobody else can produce those gold balls that Proteus turns into fertile eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Stark has a method he used to resurrect himself and James Rhodes that he doesn't share with other humans, they should start there.
    So does the Red Room, they resurrected Black Widow after she died saving Miles Morales in Secret Empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    They didn’t bring her back. She didn’t die. She was active in the X-comics right before Krakoa.
    Yeah, she was the villain in X-Men Red.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Okay,

A) IIRC Tony only came back because of genetic alterations made so he could pilot his armor.
    B) We don’t know how he brought Rhodes backs because Bendis, but all indications are it was a high risk process that could have ended with him as something…not human.
    C) The Red Room isn’t really sharing anything and Imma bet it’s cloning.

Pretty much this. Sometimes the plot has to happen. My family was watching the Thing for the first time last night. There were points where they pointed out things the crew should have done differently to try and better protect themselves from the Thing that made sense. Don’t leave anyone along, always travel in groups of three or more, etc.

At the end of the day they still enjoyed the movie and understood those parts happened because there had to be an actual movie, not ten minutes of screen time till they did the blood tests and handled Norris, Blair, and Palmer.
    That’s true, but there are definitely stories to be told about a place that is a Pandora’s Box and it’s incredibly foolhardy to attack it. For instance, imagine someone attacks and destroys Krakoa with a massive force, but then for weeks they keeping seeing a little girl in the corner of their eye. Finally they manage to confront the girl and find out that literally everything they think has been happening since before the attack has been in their own head and the girl is a psychic mutant who has them trapped as a cabbage for the rest of their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Offbeat View Post
    Please define a “full life” because you stating to allow “nature run its course” but wanting to resurrect someone that died from cancer is a little contradictory.

A cleaner way to expand the protocols would be 1) if you are murdered or 2) die in attempt to save others, then you qualify.

Cancer kids are sad but nature is impartial.
    A full life as in that you aren’t dying preemptively by being murdered or killed by incurable disease. Nature might be impartial but let’s be real, Northstar’s adopted daughter died of AIDS and she qualified for resurrection due to being a mutant. There’s no way that they’d bring her back with it. And the same would go for a mutant that has other terminal diseases. Krakoan medicine can’t cure these things as Emma said to Wade when it comes to his cancer but the resurrection protocols can bring back a person without it.

Okay,

A) IIRC Tony only came back because of genetic alterations made so he could pilot his armor.
    B) We don’t know how he brought Rhodes backs because Bendis, but all indications are it was a high risk process that could have ended with him as something…not human.
    The Red Room forced a mutant telepath to transfer the minds of their agents at the exact time of death into a clone body, they also had him alter the agents memories to ensure loyalty. He brought Black Widow back unaltered so that she could mercy kill him.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

Okay,

Even Tony’s procedure is flawed and can result in problems to those brought back by it. Rhodey’s PTSD that he suffered from throughout Slott’s run was a side-effect of the flawed process. Tony was able to fix that later but definitely not something that you want to use on the public if it can result in mental problems.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Even Tony’s procedure is flawed and can result in problems to those brought back by it. Rhodey’s PTSD that he suffered from throughout Slott’s run was a side-effect of the flawed process. Tony was able to fix that later but definitely not something that you want to use on the public if it can result in mental problems.
    I think his reaction when Rhodey came back implies that the side effects could have been much worse as well. And we aren’t really shown how replicable the process is. I’d imagine if it was easily repeatable Stark would have used it again by now.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    You know this has me thinking. Why are the x-men still trying to make Earth home? Not just move the mutant race to Arakko but they could literally convert planets, moons, asteroids. They could all be mutant safe havens.

Humanity can be mad if mutants are immortal if they aren't on Earth anymore. I mean they could, but what are they going to do? Yell at the sky?
    They also have access to stuff like Mojoworld (nope), Limbo (hell no), Laura Dean/Pathway's pocket dimension 'LiveWorld' and Lila Cheney's Dyson Sphere. (The Dyson Sphere alone has 550 *million* times the surface area of Earth, and could support a population of billions, with a population density of 'I have a neighbor, I can just see her house from here, with these binoculars...')

But it could also be argued 'why should *I* have to leave *my* home, because my existence offends *you?*' Plus, while we see precious little of it, every mutant has human family, many mutant dudes at least *used* to date human women and who knows, some mutants might even still be friends with humans that they were friends with before their X-gene dropped and their voice changed and hair grew in new places (and colors). Plus some might be Arsenal fans or like Carrie Underwood or whatever, and want to hang out on Earth to go to games or concerts.

But I could definitely see a percentage of mutants whose families disowned or tried to kill them say eff y'all and the planet you rode in on, and sign up for a mutant exodus to another planet (or dimension!), like that mutant teen who has been touring Otherworld.

That would, IMO, be a much more interesting way of getting rid of a lot of 'extra' mutants, that wouldn't require Wanda to open her yapper. Let them go establish a colony somewhere. (Ideally not displacing any natives in the process. That's never a great look.)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They have backups for four of them, but not Egg, I believe. Nobody else can produce those gold balls that Proteus turns into fertile eggs.

So does the Red Room, they resurrected Black Widow after she died saving Miles Morales in Secret Empire.
    Yeah, she was the villain in X-Men Red.
    Any reality warper can make the eggs. in house of x 92, they specifically limited the cast to only 90s characters, so no egg. they just had proteus make the eggs and the bodies. every character can be replaced.

the fact is that while Hickman had it in his outline and data pages that the five could be replaced. Gillian disagreed with that perspective and wanted to double down that the five and only this specific five can bring mutants back to life. does it fit with what Hickman wrote? no it doesn't. does Hickman care? not in the least. they are best friends and worked on multiple projects together and Gillian has spoken at conventions many times that the direction inspiration for judgment day was him making fun of Hickman for saying he was just turning the men into the eternals, which lead Gilian to turn the eternals into the x men. Because at the end of the day comics are very silly and the guys writing it are usually writing stories that they think are funny.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    They also have access to stuff like Mojoworld (nope), Limbo (hell no), Laura Dean/Pathway's pocket dimension 'LiveWorld' and Lila Cheney's Dyson Sphere. (The Dyson Sphere alone has 550 *million* times the surface area of Earth, and could support a population of billions, with a population density of 'I have a neighbor, I can just see her house from here, with these binoculars...')

But it could also be argued 'why should *I* have to leave *my* home, because my existence offends *you?*' Plus, while we see precious little of it, every mutant has human family, many mutant dudes at least *used* to date human women and who knows, some mutants might even still be friends with humans that they were friends with before their X-gene dropped and their voice changed and hair grew in new places (and colors). Plus some might be Arsenal fans or like Carrie Underwood or whatever, and want to hang out on Earth to go to games or concerts.

But I could definitely see a percentage of mutants whose families disowned or tried to kill them say eff y'all and the planet you rode in on, and sign up for a mutant exodus to another planet (or dimension!), like that mutant teen who has been touring Otherworld.

That would, IMO, be a much more interesting way of getting rid of a lot of 'extra' mutants, that wouldn't require Wanda to open her yapper. Let them go establish a colony somewhere. (Ideally not displacing any natives in the process. That's never a great look.)

thats not the answer and you know it. the answer is if they set the x men as a purely cosmic line in space only dealing with internal politics and aliens, people would check out. its why the marvel cosmic books keep failing. its why X-men red while being liked by fans doesn't even make it into the top 50 on the charts anymore. its why the current run of Marauders is almost certainly going to be canceled very soon. Nobody cares about the x men fighting Eric the red and the shiar.

its been a problem with Krakow for years and its only getting worse. There are no villains for them to fight. the entire first volume of duggans x men was focused on avengers villains. the one new villain he introduced turned out to be mr sinister!

All I ever read about Orchis is how people think they are villain Stus who should have been defeated in the first issue and xeno is considered a joke.

and if your counter point to this is that superhero comics don't need villains then really what is the point of it being a super hero comic? just make a new ip about a sci-fi society dealing with politics. stop trying to turn the x men into altered carbon.