Default Untitled Taika Waititi Star Wars Film

I think I've grown tired of Taika. I just watched Thor: Love and Thunder and have to say I'm not really looking forward to a Star Wars movie made in his style.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Funny thing, when making Love and Thunder he asked Natalie Portman, of all people, if she was interested in a role(!).

Remember he did direct The Mandalorian season 1 finale.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Niffleheim

He shines when someone else is on scriptwriting duties and a producer with an exact vision. I like him but his overindulgence is annoying.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    He shines when someone else is on scriptwriting duties and a producer with an exact vision. I like him but his overindulgence is annoying.
    I think Jojo Rabbit is a brilliant telling of dark subject matter trough the eyes of a 7 year old. Problem is I think that is all that he can do, it worked for Jojo Rabbit but not for Thor: Love and Thunder. I agree that his story telling was way more palatable when he is not in control of the script and is strictly in the directors chair.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

I disliked Ragnarok so I'm glad everyone is catching up to me when it comes to his Thor work.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I'm fine with it.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I disliked Ragnarok so I'm glad everyone is catching up to me when it comes to his Thor work.
    I love Ragnarok but there was other ppl doing the writing while he was riffing and adding on what was already written.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

His episodes were some of the best in the Madalorian, so I don't really know why people think he's a one trick pony.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

And there are many of us who thought Ragnarok and L&T were the best Thor movies. So we, probably the majority who have seen his work, welcome this.

After what Rian Johnson and Abrams did to the franchise, I am all for a new approach.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    His episodes were some of the best in the Madalorian, so I don't really know why people think he's a one trick pony.
    It’s the story people worry about, not so much the storytelling. Waititi’s proven his storytelling credentials with Star Wars, but I’d argue that most of the directors we’ve had so far in the Disney era have shown competence there, while it’s the story they’re telling that has tripped up many of them. It’s where they’ve missed Lucas, and where Dave Filoni’s become the main dude now.

Though I actually tend to agree with the idea that we shouldn’t be quick to argue that Waititi is guaranteed to make a goofy, more comedic Star Wars film; while that’s been his previous repertoire, he has it revealed anything about it, and he’s worked with Favreau and Filoni on more more serious stuff where his comedic parts have been more organic than overwhelming.

And if he *does* do a goofy one… well that doesn’t guarantee he’d make a parody of the franchise. Rian Johnson was trying very much to make a serious film outside of his usual crime film genre with TLJ , and he *did* make a contemptuous parody of Star Wars, with LFL signing off all the way; there’s no way to tell what a talented director will do with the franchise.

If I were one of LFL’s geeks (and not one who was so enamored with TLJ that it's forever stained my taste) I might offer him the Wraith Squadron books.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP