BANNED

Default Why does Psylocke look like a pissed off Latina half of time?

Is it that hard to draw an Asian woman?

Quote Originally Posted by emfrst View Post
    To some artists - yes. Yes it is, lol. The same way how some draw Storm as a white woman with a tan. This is the world we unfortunately live in.
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    To some artists - yes. Yes it is, lol. The same way how some draw Storm as a white woman with a tan. This is the world we unfortunately live in.
    You do mean how some artists draw Ororo as a White woman with a Coppertone tan, Nordic White hair, sky blue eyes, and a Colonial British accent, right?

Jubilee suffers from this exact thing in Exterminators and with such beautiful art and color it really stands out. Personally i don't think it's that hard it's harder to do but if one actually does the work, which they should, it becomes second nature.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by emfrst View Post
    It must be. Betsy in Kwannon's body only looked Japanese 70% of the time. I think, like most things, it's a reflection of the fairly homogenous pool of creatives who work on the books. David Nakayama's Jubilee and Kwannon actually look Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    You do mean how some artists draw Ororo as a White woman with a Coppertone tan, Nordic White hair, sky blue eyes, and a Colonial British accent, right?

Not to mention Sunspot and Monet's ever-changing complexions. Funny how this only ever seems to happen to characters of color...

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Jubilee suffers from this exact thing in Exterminators and with such beautiful art and color it really stands out. Personally i don't think it's that hard it's harder to do but if one actually does the work, which they should, it becomes second nature.
    I was thinking the same thing while reading Exterminators.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Not to mention Sunspot and Monet's ever-changing complexions. Funny how this only ever seems to happen to characters of color...
    I think it's because they sort of standardize white people to the same few tones, so there's less margin for error. Even then, Tony Stark used to flip-flop on having a slight tan.

Unrelated, but my favorite character inconsistencies come from Wind Dancer, but she's either all-white or mestizo. Her eyes are usually dark brown, but are sometimes light brown, gold or blue. How her skin is meant to be light, but it varies between the standard white, being slightly darker than the pure-white characters, or closer to Dani's skintone. Her hair is either dark brown, light brown, or light orange-brown. But no matter how she looks, I can recognize her on sight.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Well she's always had white hair and blue eyes
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I think it's because they sort of standardize white people to the same few tones, so there's less margin for error. Even then, Tony Stark used to flip-flop on having a slight tan.

Unrelated, but my favorite character inconsistencies come from Wind Dancer, but she's either all-white or mestizo. Her eyes are usually dark brown, but are sometimes light brown, gold or blue. How her skin is meant to be light, but it varies between the standard white, being slightly darker than the pure-white characters, or closer to Dani's skintone. Her hair is either dark brown, light brown, or light orange-brown. But no matter how she looks, I can recognize her on sight.

I tend to default to the character's earliest appearances as far as what they're "meant" to look like so I picture Sofia as a white Latina with brown hair, like Ana de Armas. They do the same thing with Rictor, he's pretty much always looked like a white Latino to me (like the guys they always cast to play Sunspot) until the Krakoan era when they suddenly decided he's brown.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I tend to default to the character's earliest appearances as far as what they're "meant" to look like so I picture Sofia as a white Latina with brown hair, like Ana de Armas. They do the same thing with Rictor, he's pretty much always looked like a white Latino to me (like the guys they always cast to play Sunspot) until the Krakoan era when they suddenly decided he's brown.
    I think it started in the 2018 Shatterstar mini moreso.

Frankly I don't see how this is any different then how some people draw Cable like he's an old man and others draw him like he's a young guy that just happens to have white hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Frankly I don't see how this is any different then how some people draw Cable like he's an old man and others draw him like he's a young guy that just happens to have white hair.
    i think the difference is you can say cable is old but unless you state his exact age you can't really make a concrete case for how exactly he should be drawn but if your telling me kwannon is japanese or Jubliee is chinese, or someone is asian or someone is black but the only thing that says so is the color, there is a problem because you have an idea of what people should look like and if you don't there are references out there. That's not even touching it is a visual medium so visuals are important.

the more i think about it the more the age thing is a horrible example. Like tom cruise is 60 but Jim Carey is also 60.
    Last edited by jwatson; 09-21-2022 at 06:35 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/