Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Is anyone else just absolutely tired of Gwen Stacy? not Spider-Gwen (I haven't given the character the chance nor do I wish to.) I'm talking about the original Gwen Stacy and her many clones.
    I mean I’m tired of Saint Gwen and Marvels constant need to harp on it. Daredevil dwells on Karen Page less than that, Tony Stark fights is alcoholism less and he’ll Aquaman watch his baby die and toud honestly forget that was even a thing. At this point Gwen is just Peters woman in the fridge and it’s played out.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    I mean I’m tired of Saint Gwen and Marvels constant need to harp on it. Daredevil dwells on Karen Page less than that, Tony Stark fights is alcoholism less and he’ll Aquaman watch his baby die and toud honestly forget that was even a thing. At this point Gwen is just Peters woman in the fridge and it’s played out.
    For that matter, Peter also had his baby die. And that’s been referenced like twice in the past 25 years since it happened. Some could argue it’s been retconned (although that’s never been made completely clear), but even before OMD it was almost never brought up. Yet Peter has to cry about Gwen at least 2-3 times a year…

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    For that matter, Peter also had his baby die. And that’s been referenced like twice in the past 25 years since it happened. Some could argue it’s been retconned (although that’s never been made completely clear), but even before OMD it was almost never brought up. Yet Peter has to cry about Gwen at least 2-3 times a year…
    If Mayday does get the jump on the big screen it's gonna cause her to get some kind of awareness so it's a wonder if Marvel will be preparing for that as Mayday gets back her name and wonder if there will be a kind of a resurgence for her character in the future. Either her MC2 version or a younger counterpart

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    That doesn't strike me as that strange. He never met the baby - she died before she could ever live. Gwen was a person he knew and loved, and she died violently in a way she didn't remotely deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    That doesn't strike me as that strange. He never met the baby - she died before she could ever live. Gwen was a person he knew and loved, and she died violently in a way she didn't remotely deserve.
    It's more like Marvel doesn't want to acknowledge that because "he killed my kid" is not something anyone, Peter especially, could ever justify working with. (This problem existed LONG before the current run.)

If Marvel said Norman killed a baby, he would never live it down and would have to be put back into the ground. That's a level of evil far beyond anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It's more like Marvel doesn't want to acknowledge that because "he killed my kid" is not something anyone, Peter especially, could ever justify working with. (This problem existed LONG before the current run.)

If Marvel said Norman killed a baby, he would never live it down and would have to be put back into the ground. That's a level of evil far beyond anything.
    Lizard ate a kid, but he bounced back from that surprisingly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They ended up bringing the kid back as a clone with Lizard powers so that's not quite the same thing.

They ended up bringing the kid back as a clone with Lizard powers so that's not quite the same thing.
    Kind of had to bend over backwards on that one, but okay .

In fairness, so did Marvel.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

In fairness, so did Marvel.
    Technically, according to Doctor Strange, the body might have been a clone, but the soul was the same as the original Billy Connors. At least, that's how Nick Spencer explained it, even if it doesn't necessarily fully explain some of the other lingering Clone Conspiracy "reanimates."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    The event itself makes this a bit weird because Doom passed, when the Celestial doesn't seem to like evil people, since Shawn didn't pass despite being well aware of how much of a piece of **** he is.

It's also odd that he made Xavier fail when Xavier was protecting mutants from a telepathic attack, just because he ignored Legion, he was really busy at the moment lol.

Considering he does character judgement, and expects people to do better, some cases where he accepts or fails someone are rather questionable and even arbitrary, and that happens with Gillen written stuff too.

Ironically this is probably the clearest that a Celestial has been, since they usually don't even talk or bother caring to let people know why they do stuff.

Anyways, that aside, what I saw of Spidey in the first issue, he really shouldn't pass with what the main comic of Judgement showed... Nor should he be rewarded if that's really a thing the Celestial did, which he doesn't do to anyone else, why Spidey is an exception is bizarre lol.
    I'm not reading AXE but I read this issue as the old "you're actually judging yourself" thing. It appeared as Gwen because she's Peter's greatest loss, blah blah blah, but actual Gwen only appeared as a brief reward when Pete acknowledged he's a decent person.

Doom would never judge Doom to be be unworthy. Lol.

I did laugh at Osborn's glaring Gwen. That was just the right kind of silly.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I'm not reading AXE but I read this issue as the old "you're actually judging yourself" thing. It appeared as Gwen because she's Peter's greatest loss, blah blah blah, but actual Gwen only appeared as a brief reward when Pete acknowledged he's a decent person.

Doom would never judge Doom to be be unworthy. Lol.

I did laugh at Osborn's glaring Gwen. That was just the right kind of silly.
    That's definitely not how it's supposed to work. I think other writers took that from what they were probably told. The Celestial doesn't care what a person's reasonings are for their actions. The Celestial judged Captain America unworthy.

Also, it never gave any kind of reward to any other person it judged. It just showed up for a minute, judged a person, and then left them.

That's definitely not how it's supposed to work. I think other writers took that from what they were probably told. The Celestial doesn't care what a person's reasonings are for their actions. The Celestial judged Captain America unworthy.

Also, it never gave any kind of reward to any other person it judged. It just showed up for a minute, judged a person, and then left them.
    Because Peter's that special, I suppose. Not being sarcastic or resentful, either; I do appreciate that out of all the beings in this or any other iteration of the Marvel Universe, he's the one who somehow consistently impresses godlike beings or other such immensely powerful entities with his sheer character. A pity that some writers and editors have been terrible in getting that across, or even making him take actions that fly in the face of said character, but this was almost worth the price of admission for reminding us of what Peter can be and is when he is (written) at his best.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Because Peter's that special, I suppose. Not being sarcastic or resentful, either; I do appreciate that out of all the beings in this or any other iteration of the Marvel Universe, he's the one who somehow consistently impresses godlike beings or other such immensely powerful entities with his sheer character. A pity that some writers and editors have been terrible in getting that across, or even making him take actions that fly in the face of said character, but this was almost worth the price of admission for reminding us of what Peter can be and is when he is (written) at his best.
    He shouldn't have in this case. The Progenitor has a very alien concept by which they judge to the point that Captain America, Luke Cage, and Daredevil failed while Kamala Khan, Miles Morales, and Doctor Doom passed. (Miles and Kamala are noble young heroes. Doom... is neither of those things.)

Hell, Kro and the Deviants passed the Progenitor's test.

(You can make the argument that Peter passing at this point shows how scewy it is, but the entire way this issue handled the Progenitor doesn't match up at all with how Judgment Day handles everything. Makes me think the creative told was told something and misinterpreted what was going on.)
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 10-04-2022 at 03:04 PM.

He shouldn't have in this case. The Progenitor has a very alien concept by which they judge to the point that Captain America, Luke Cage, and Daredevil failed while Kamala Khan, Miles Morales, and Doctor Doom passed. (Miles and Kamala are noble young heroes. Doom... is neither of those things.)

Hell, Kro and the Deviants passed the Progenitor's test.

(You can make the argument that Peter passing at this point shows how scewy it is, but the entire way this issue handled the Progenitor doesn't match up at all with how Judgment Day handles everything. Makes me think the creative told was told something and misinterpreted what was going on.)
    Perhaps, yeah.