Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Other than the inappropriateness of referring to her as a "bitch", they just put Spider-Gwen into Fortnite, so it isn't like she's some complete unknown. (And that's kind of my point. They have a highly marketable superhero named Gwen Stacy these days. You will never see the doomed civilian love interest in an adaptation again.)
    Right. Should have clarified, that was before Spider-Gwen was a thing. That's how people I talked to knew her in the TASM days, which just goes to show that for most people, she is known only for dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Right. Should have clarified, that was before Spider-Gwen was a thing. That's how people I talked to knew her in the TASM days, which just goes to show that for most people, she is known only for dying.
    Does anyone care about the dead girlfriend version of Gwen these days? I think only Marvel Editorial does.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Does anyone care about the dead girlfriend version of Gwen these days? I think only Marvel Editorial does.
    They care because they're stuck in the past and can't let go, which they project onto Peter himself, much to the ruination of his character and mythos.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    They care because they're stuck in the past and can't let go, which they project onto Peter himself, much to the ruination of his character and mythos.
    This should honestly be the go-to example of people pointing out that Marvel Editorial is out of touch.

Astonishing Member

So much this.

Astonishing Member

This should honestly be the go-to example of people pointing out that Marvel Editorial is out of touch.
    The reality is this; as long as ASM sells well, there is absolutely no incentive for Editorial to change direction. Do I agree with their opinions ( and NOT just on the marriage) ? Absolutely not, but it is what it is, and only if sales tank will things change.

Marvel really needs to get over Spider-Man's dead girlfriend when they have a highly marketable superhero who has the name Gwen Stacy.
    I don't think Marvel can make readers forget one of the best comic book stories ever.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

makes sense we fans do the same as well its an never ending cycle
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't think Marvel can make readers forget one of the best comic book stories ever.
    I wish Marvel would make up their minds.

Either they want to attract new readers who they apparently feel do not have the capacity/attention span to learn about Peter's history, or they want to cater to older readers who swoon over a fifty year old story. In which case, all their arguments about continuity, specifically when it comes to Peter's and MJ's relationship, are suspect.

I also wish Marvel showed 1/23704870273th excessive slavishness to Kraven's Last Hunt, which is just as highly regarded if not more so (because The Night That Gwen Stacy Died is important for ushering in Bronze Age comics and for setting a precedent for its time - but again, that was fifty years ago, while KLH is a brilliantly told story that doesn't have to be anchored to its place in history for full resonance).

Marvel really needs to get over Spider-Man's dead girlfriend when they have a highly marketable superhero who has the name Gwen Stacy.
    They've been dredging Gwen and her death up long before Spider-Gwen was a thing.
    That's not what it's about. It's the idea that Gwen represents lost love. The problem is Marvel has a highly marketable superhero named Gwen Stacy, so it's trying to have it both ways, but the old way isn't one that anyone actually cares about anymore.
    I mean, Hero Gwen has no relevancy to Peter or his story beyond the fact that, yeah, she looks like his dead girlfriend and the implications of that, and Gwen's death is still one of the foundational and emotional cruxes of Spider-Man history.

I'm tired of dragging out drama over Gwen's death too, but it's not like this is completely out of left field.
    Peter does. And MJ, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Marvel wants to have it both ways here, and it doesn't really work. Either they market Gwen as Spider-Man's dead girlfriend or they market her as a superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They've been dredging Gwen and her death up long before Spider-Gwen was a thing.
    I am aware. But now they market Gwen Stacy as a hero.

I mean, Hero Gwen has no relevancy to Peter or his story beyond the fact that, yeah, she looks like his dead girlfriend and the implications of that, and Gwen's death is still one of the foundational and emotional cruxes of Spider-Man history.

I'm tired of dragging out drama over Gwen's death too, but it's not like this is completely out of left field.
    My point is this isn't who "Gwen Stacy" is to a mainstream audience any more.

Peter does. And MJ, honestly.
    Peter and MJ aren't real.

BANNED

Gwen has a cult as big as the one for Zack Snyder, just ask the Garfield/Emma Stone sect.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Gwen has a cult as big as the one for Zack Snyder, just ask the Garfield/Emma Stone sect.
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 came out in 2014.

BANNED

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 came out in 2014.
    And Snyder got his start with superheroics in 2013. I fail to see how that someone diminishes a cult's impact. You see it all the time, Peter/Gwen stans tripled because of ASM 2, as misguided as they are, they never got over that movie the same way Snyder fans never got over Caville and Man of Steel

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Leaving aside people's frustrations with the mystery of Pete being on the outs with everyone, the pacing of this series has been terrible. We're just coming off of a belated Hellfire Gala crossover which is months behind that actual story to now do another tie-in to an event that is now one issue away from wrapping up. And yeah, the fact that everyone got "judged" in Issue #4, this really could have been a single panel there instead of an entire tie-in issue.

Add to that issue 6 was this giant stand-alone anniversary issue which also didn't build to anything but weirdly ended with Pete making out with Felecia as a birthday kiss which conflicts with the central story of him still being hung out over MJ and wanting to right whatever wrong he did to her off-screen.
    Pacing has been like that since Wacker left.
    Ock , Peter, Eddie ,Flash, Kaine,Rhino,... all had a developmet in ASM, Superior and spin of/Events , but after he left? Both Slott ,Spencer and Wells feels that they throw ideas and see later if they will follow it or not.