Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I wonder if people feel the same way about Magneto, who has been neutered by having his power levels gradually weakened and being portrayed as a "hero" and a member of the X-Men for about 10-15 years straight now. Such a lazy, terrible thing to do with the franchise's greatest, most recognizable villain. It would be like toning the Joker down and making him a member of the Bat Family for 10-15 years.
    Claremont's path for Magneto was always going in this direction, so I certainly don't feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Claremont's path for Magneto was always going in this direction, so I certainly don't feel that way.
    Claremont is rhe GOAT, but he wasn't always right everything (X-Men Forever showed that). Even back in the day when Magneto reformed and decided to walk Xavier's path, it didn't last more than a few years (and yes, I know editorial played a role in that). We got some GREAT Magneto stories when he finally returned to villainy. Fatal Attractions comes to mind. Great stories with Magneto as a hero are few and far between, especially when he's been a hero for like 15 years straight.

I loved the idea of Cecelia Reyes as a reluctant hero who didn’t want to be an X-Man, and I’ve hated seeing her turn into nothing but a generic doctor character.

Gambit, Beast, Rictor, all the New X-Men, all of the Generation X, Bishop, Marrow, Maggot, Cecelia Reyes, Sage, Iceman, Shatterstar (somewhat)

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Anyone that thinks Hank was better off as a hero is just complaining because of childhood nostalgia. As a hero, he’s poor man’s Spider-Man. It’s on the side of the bad guys he’s unique.
    He’s not unique being a bad guy. We already had a character that showed what an evil Hank looks like. At this point, he’s just the poor man’s Dark Beast.

As for the topic, X-Man. I don’t know what the writers were thinking when they changed him for Age of X-Man to the point that he looked like a hippie Jesus and now was against the concept of romance but they needed to leave that entire story in the trash.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 09-25-2022 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    More like $1.50 and I enjoyed reading it. Thank you! I always liked Cable but you've made me like him even more over the past few months.
    Glad to be of service.

I think the biggest thing that has worked against Cable as a character in more recent years, and probably a big part of the reason why modern writers struggle with what to do with him, is the evolution of Logan’s character. If you think about it, Liefeld has gone on record as saying he wanted to create in Cable another Wolverine archetype for the X-books, meaning the “man of mystery with a clandestine military past.” And he was successful in that, while making him feel fresh and different in terms of both character but also creating lots of new characters and concepts around him (e.g., X-Force, Department K, Stryfe and the MLF, Garrison Kane, G.W. Bridge and the rest of the Six Pack, Deadpool, etc.). And it worked because Logan was more “loner-ronin” in nature while Cable was more “leader-soldier” in nature. So while they were similar, they weren’t exactly the same and filling slightly different roles in the books.

In more recent years, Logan joined a lot of teams but he also led some teams… from running his own incarnations of X-Force (which he’s doing currently) to even taking over the school for awhile. Furthermore, the X-books and its writers have really leaned into his military past and his training and leadership as a soldier, versus Logan being the unpredictable and impulsive type to go off on a solo mission recklessly. And when they brought over Old Man Logan to the 616 Marvel U after Secret Wars, they even took yet another of Cable’s core traits, with him now being from a horrible post-apocalyptic future and willing to do anything it takes to prevent it from coming into being. So unfortunately as a result Cable got more and more marginalized, and especially in the minds of Marvel’s writers who struggled with what to do with him now.

So this as much as anything is why, at least IMO, he got relegated to some shitty “time cop” status and then was even retired by a younger version for several years, as they tried to figure out what else they could do with Cable. Obviously I think those were misfires myself, but do understand why they tried it nonetheless.

In my view what will make Cable great again is going back to what worked initially and leaning into that even more. But, again, that’s just my $.02… or $1.50.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Claremont is rhe GOAT, but he wasn't always right everything (X-Men Forever showed that). Even back in the day when Magneto reformed and decided to walk Xavier's path, it didn't last more than a few years (and yes, I know editorial played a role in that). We got some GREAT Magneto stories when he finally returned to villainy. Fatal Attractions comes to mind. Great stories with Magneto as a hero are few and far between, especially when he's been a hero for like 15 years straight.
    Claremont *WAS* right here. Those "GREAT" Magneto "villian" stories you're referring to were for the most part absolute ****, especially Grant Morrison's BS.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 09-25-2022 at 11:24 AM.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Kinda surprised Aaron's Wolverine and Howard's Captain Britain aren't winning this. I mean, yeah, yeah, tons of characters got dealt significantly worse hands, but it was either by design or due to lack of interest. Aaron and Howard unironically wanted us to love these two clowns, lol.

Bishop has gone from his explosive introduction, to wallpaper, then to illogical lunatic, and now finally to a muted man and shackled warrior, playing second fiddle to kitty! Bishop's potential is barely used within the last 7yrs. His profile is one that combines elements of Logan as a brawler, Scott as tactician, and energy battery/projector.

The Bank/Banciewicz family.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Kinda surprised Aaron's Wolverine and Howard's Captain Britain aren't winning this. I mean, yeah, yeah, tons of characters got dealt significantly worse hands, but it was either by design or due to lack of interest. Aaron and Howard unironically wanted us to love these two clowns, lol.
    Captain Britain, definitely. I haven't read enough of Aaron's Wolverine to have an opinion.

Well, say what you will about Percy’s writing, but one thing he has done well is restored Logan’s voice and character since the Aaron years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Well, say what you will about Percy’s writing, but one thing he has done well is restored Logan’s voice and character since the Aaron years.
    Yeah I have to give him credit for his handling of Logan. Say what you will but no one can say his Wolverine doesn't feel like Wolverine. His Ghost Rider series is surprisingly awesome as well. I think it's just with team books that he shits the bed.

Agreed. Team books don’t seem to be his strength.

Percy does write a good wolverine my main problem with his wolverine is like his x-force it's repetitive. Just think about how many stories logan could have had visiting arrako or doing some galatic diplomatic business for Storm or any of the many places the gates could take him but it's like none of that is being taken advantage of. it actually became quite frustrating rather than the book just being blatantly bad.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/